FEEL the power of the Dark Side...

Frobby

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

FP Santangelo says hello.  He makes me pine for Bordick and I’m not a Bordick fan.

Is he still with the team? I only know Carpenter is because I accidentally turned it to the Nats game the other night and heard their version of Jim Hunter lol

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I guess Frobby does.   ;)

I don't.

I've given up sports entirely instead of switching teams.

There is a certain type of fan, a bandwagon fan, that switches teams or only starts rooting for a local team when they start winning.

I started rooting for both Texas teams (as long as they weren’t playing the Orioles) when I moved to Austin and I’m especially a fan of how the Astros operate/have operated since 2013. I thought the Orioles should have taken a similar direction.

I think fans will accept losing in the short term if ownership is upfront with a direction for the team.

15 minutes ago, Getz said:

I'm european and here we root for teams for life, what i get from this post is that people change teams in the US. Am i right?

It seems like most of the responses have been just the opposite... most of us have no interest in switching teams.

4 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I started rooting for both Texas teams (as long as they weren’t playing the Orioles) when I moved to Austin and I’m especially a fan of how the Astros operate/have operated since 2013. I thought the Orioles should have taken a similar direction.

I think fans will accept losing in the short term if ownership is upfront with a direction for the team.

Paying attention to other teams isn't the same thing. 

I'm following the Angels this year because they have three guys who I consider much watch TV on the squad.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm following the Angels this year because they have three guys who I consider much watch TV on the squad.

I said rooting not paying attention. I pay attention to the Angels for the same reasons you do.

I feel after watching the Astros for the past three or four years they better represent how I feel a team should be run. But I have yet to give up on the Orioles. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Parker Bridwell is on the DL right now.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I said rooting not paying attention. I pay attention to the Angels for the same reasons you do.

I feel after watching the Astros for the past three or four years they better represent how I feel a team should be run. But I have yet to give up on the Orioles. 

If the Astros and the O's are playing later this year and the Astros need the win for home field advantage/win the division, who are you rooting for?

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't.

There is a certain type of fan, a bandwagon fan, that switches teams or only starts rooting for a local team when they start winning.

Yeah, I've heard about bandwagon fans but i tought it was not that commun, but this forum as shown me the opposite. I've seen a lot of comments here like, i think it's a good time to root for X team.

It's quite frustrating that are people in this forum like this.

I haven't read this whole thread, but I never hated the Nats. Like others, I find their broadcast team off-putting and I don't like their attempt to re-do the MASN deal. But I did drive up from NC for my first Nats game their first year so I could lay eyes on Frank Robinson for the first time in my life. Always adored that man. And I was happy when they gave Davey Johnson and Dusty Baker a job. Not a huge Bryce Harper fan, but I was excited about the Strasburg debut and I like Zimmerman. My old high school baseball coach is a scout for them and he's gotten me good tickets a time or two. I tune in to the highlights and an occasional game as I am still a Wieters fan. O's will always be my team, but I don't feel guilty about keeping casual tabs on the Nats. I have one of their caps and a souvenir batting helmet and long sleeve t-shirt (mainly as I was freezing there one spring game). They may be the closest I have to an NL team, while most of my fellow NC friends seem to be Braves loyalists. I could probably get behind the Braves as a secondary team, but it seems kind of late. I only have enough time in my life for one real team, the Orioles. Been that way for 49 years.

Never hated the Nats.

Don't care about the MASN deal, at all.  

Also, don't really care about anyone who's given up the Orioles to root for the Nats as their primary team.  While I'd never do it, certainly the Orioles have given enough reason for people to want to stop rooting for them and find an alternative team.  

I watch some of their games from time to time but could never make them my #1 team.  Happy to see them do well.

Carpenter and Santangelo are absolutely insufferable though.  

The day I stop following the Orioles is the day I stop baseball. I don't have a rooting interest in any other franchise. I hate the Nats because MLB thought it worthwhile to give half the fan base of an existing franchise to a city that failed twice in keeping a team. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't.

This characterizes most American Sports Fans IMO.  We are a disloyal, fickle bunch and only like to be a part of something if it makes us feel good.  The type of fan that frequent message boards and hangs onto every insignificant move a team makes don't tend to be in that category though.  

I grew up in Northern Virginia and always wished DC would get a team and my initial plan before they arrived was to root for the Nationals as my secondary team, but once they came here I just couldn't do it.  The mind can't force what the heart doesn't want. 

So I'm stuck with these losers.  

Archived