Connolly: Brady for President

wildcard

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Careful what you wish for, maybe the next group comes in, makes Cal a minority partner and has him fire Palmer.

You're right that the fans have something to lose if there's a change in ownership, but there's not a whole hell of a lot at this point. As long as new owners don't move the team, how much worse can it get?

Let's see.  In adddition to firing Palmer, new owners could sign Tillman and Jones to long-term contracts, change the uniforms to blue and white pinstripes, put up videos between innings of the 69, 71 and 79 World Series, play "Sweet Caroline" during the 7th-inning stretch, add Peter Angelos and Lew Ford to the Orioles HOF. Not so bad. 

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think it will end badly, but I'll give Brady a chance if the Angelos family gives him full reign over the team.  

I think it will be a mistake to have Brady in charge but I guess he deserves a chance. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I want the Orioles to hire and young up and comer, but chances of that happening are close to zero.  

They could hire one but they wouldn't allow him to up and come.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

What I read from this is that Brady is more of a negotiator and a player's person. Not some mastermind behind the team architecture that so many people here were spinning.

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, if that's all he brings to the table and doesn't balance out team architecture by hiring someone competent.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That sounds like a recipe for disaster, if that's all he brings to the table and doesn't balance out team architecture by hiring someone competent.  

Why would someone competent come to Baltimore if he/she knew from the outset that every decision might be randomly undermined at any moment by King Peter or Prince Brady, or worse by a corporate culture that makes any comprehensive, long-term success DOA?  Someone competent would negotiate the ground rules going in and even if they got everything they wanted wouldn't trust the agreement.

I don't think Duquette's situation is in any way ambiguous to the FO people around major league baseball - the talent pool for the next Dan Duquette.  It may be that it's Brady or nobody until there's a clear turn around with the way the organization is run at the very top.  

6 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Why would someone competent come to Baltimore if he/she knew from the outset that every decision might be randomly undermined at any moment by King Peter or Prince Brady, or worse by a corporate culture that makes any comprehensive, long-term success DOA?  Someone competent would negotiate the ground rules going in and even if they got everything they wanted wouldn't trust the agreement.

I don't think Duquette's situation is in any way ambiguous to the FO people around major league baseball - the talent pool for the next Dan Duquette.  It may be that it's Brady or nobody until there's a clear turn around with the way the organization is run at the very top.  

Yep, totally agreed.

We're going to suck for a long time.  

34 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I think it will be a mistake to have Brady in charge but I guess he deserves a chance. 

I don't know very much about what Brady Anderson has done with the Orioles. I know he's had an important role in conditioning players, and has done some coaching. I understand that he has negotiated contracts with a few veteran players after they've been identified as guys the Orioles wanted to sign, though I can't assess how successful he's been since I don't know what his marching orders were. I gather he's been good at befriending, and I would guess at sucking up to, the Angeloses.

Has Brady Anderson ever negotiated a trade with another club? Considered and made a decision or recommendation on a trade proposal, especially where there needs to be a quick turnaround? Had responsibility for building a 40-man or 25-man roster? Worked under a budget in any job? Debriefed Oriole scouts or evaluated scouting reports on Orioles, Oriole minor leaguers, or players on other teams or in other systems? Reviewed, questioned and decided what use to make of cutting-edge statistical analyses? Made or participated in draft decisions? Staffed minor league teams with players, coaches and managers? Made hiring decisions for off-field personnel? Supervised a staff, or a single employee, in any job or any capacity? Built, or been involved in building, a staff or facilities for scouting an, evaluating and developing Latin American talent? (I think I know the answer to that one -- since he's worked only for the Orioles , he almost certainly hasn't,)

Turning this thing around will be a challenging job. The owner of the team and his sons ain't going to make it any easier. I may be selling Brady short, but I don't think he's done lots of the things that a general manager has to do,, or even observed them at close range like those who've served for a while in assistant GM capacities. I have some reservations as to how quickly he's learn to them well or how good he'd be at them.

If the guy's experience doesn't qualify him for the job, why does he "deserve" a chance? Because he's been a loyal employee? Because he's on good terms with one or both of the owner's sons? That's a hell of a way to get started in turning around a franchise that's in real trouble. A hell of a bad way.

4 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I don't know very much about what Brady Anderson has done with the Orioles. I know he's had an important role in conditioning players, and has done some coaching. I understand that he has negotiated contracts with a few veteran players after they've been identified as guys the Orioles wanted to sign, though I can't assess how successful he's been since I don't know what his marching orders were. I gather he's been good at befriending, and I would guess at sucking up to, the Angeloses.

Has Brady Anderson ever negotiated a trade with another club? Considered and made a decision or recommendation on a trade proposal, especially where there needs to be a quick turnaround? Had responsibility for building a 40-man or 25-man roster? Worked under a budget in any job? Debriefed Oriole scouts or evaluated scouting reports on Orioles, Oriole minor leaguers, or players on other teams or in other systems? Reviewed, questioned and decided what use to make of cutting-edge statistical analyses? Made or participated in draft decisions? Staffed minor league teams with players, coaches and managers? Made hiring decisions for off-field personnel? Supervised a staff, or a single employee, in any job or any capacity? Built, or been involved in building, a staff or facilities for scouting an, evaluating and developing Latin American talent? (I think I know the answer to that one -- since he's worked only for the Orioles , he almost certainly hasn't,)

Turning this thing around will be a challenging job. The owner of the team and his sons ain't going to make it any easier. I may be selling Brady short, but I don't think he's done lots of the things that a general manager has to do,, or even observed them at close range like those who've served for a while in assistant GM capacities. I have some reservations as to how quickly he's learn to them well or how good he'd be at them.

If the guy's experience doesn't qualify him for the job, why does he "deserve" a chance? Because he's been a loyal employee? Because he's on good terms with one or both of the owner's sons? That's a hell of a way to get started in turning around a franchise that's in real trouble. A hell of a bad way.

I don't disagree with any of this at all, but I believe somewhere along the lines he must have picked up these skills somehow, some way.  

I hope so, at least.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don't disagree with any of this at all, but I believe somewhere along the lines he must have picked up these skills somehow, some way.  

I hope so, at least.

I hope Brady has learned some of these things, too, but I have absolutely no reason to think he has.

All I know is that he has worked out with players, has given them coaching tips on a sort of roving-instructor basis, negotiated a few (two or three?) big player contracts, and has cultivated the Angeloses. And when he speaks he sounds thoughtful and intelligent. 

Anybody else know of additional qualifications that Brady Anderson has to be the President/Executive VP/GM of the Orioles?

Archived