Hypothetical Scenario

esmd

Just because I'm curious, let's say we have two options to trade Manny:

Option 1:  Trade Manny to a contender prior to 31 July for a package of prospects, including at least 1 or 2 highly rated players

or

Option 2:  Trade Manny and Chris Davis to a contender prior to 31 July for a middling, 29 year old minor league has-been (any maybe a case of baseballs ? ).

Essentially, you'd be giving Manny away for nothing solely to get out from under Chris Davis's contract.  If you could do that (and believe, me I know it's not happening, we're just talking fun hypotheticals here), would it be worth it to you to rid us of Davis?  It begs the question, what would help the team more, getting back 2-3 good MiL prospects, or just being rid of Davis' contract?

I’d be inclined to do option 2. We’ll be getting high first round draft choices for, at least,  one, probably two years. Use the huge amount of money freed up by that, and other, trades, to play in the top tier FA market and international markets. Don’t trade any of the starters or Givens.

I think this is Option 2 pretty easily but you couldn't get another club to agree.  Even if you give Manny some Boras prestige value and bonus points for championship probability added, it's hard to argue he is anymore than a $40M surplus value asset today, and Davis is deeper underwater than that. 

15 minutes ago, esmd said:

Just because I'm curious, let's say we have two options to trade Manny:

Option 1:  Trade Manny to a contender prior to 31 July for a package of prospects, including at least 1 or 2 highly rated players

or

Option 2:  Trade Manny and Chris Davis to a contender prior to 31 July for a middling, 29 year old minor league has-been (any maybe a case of baseballs ? ).

Essentially, you'd be giving Manny away for nothing solely to get out from under Chris Davis's contract.  If you could do that (and believe, me I know it's not happening, we're just talking fun hypotheticals here), would it be worth it to you to rid us of Davis?  It begs the question, what would help the team more, getting back 2-3 good MiL prospects, or just being rid of Davis' contract?

I prefer option 1. But I don't trust Angelos to do what is best for the team.

4 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only way option two works is if Manny agrees to a contract extension with his new team.  No team is going to swallow CD's contract for half a season of Manny.

Well If we trade Manny now.... they will have him for 3/4 of a season :awesome:

10 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I think this is Option 2 pretty easily but you couldn't get another club to agree.  Even if you give Manny some Boras prestige value and bonus points for championship probability added, it's hard to argue he is anymore than a $40M surplus value asset today, and Davis is deeper underwater than that. 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The only way option two works is if Manny agrees to a contract extension with his new team.  No team is going to swallow CD's contract for half a season of Manny.

Right - that's why it's a hypothetical.  "If you could...."

Depends what we would do with the Davis money. We have a pretty terrible history with building around free agents, so I think I would take the long view and go for the prospects. Just get used to the idea of contending on a $60-$70M budget with the Davis money as a sunk cost. Anyway, he has a partial no-trade.

9 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Depends what we would do with the Davis money. We have a pretty terrible history with building around free agents, so I think I would take the long view and go for the prospects. Just get used to the idea of contending on a $60-$70M budget with the Davis money as a sunk cost. Anyway, he has a partial no-trade.

This!   Release Davis now.   Maybe he needs out of Baltimore to get himself back together. I think he's toast, but let him be someone else's project right now.   Move Mancini to first base immediately.

Does anyone have any examples of a Davis like contract dump off? He has over 4 years left. I can think of Vernon Wells and Carl Crawford(albeit packaged with other players) but both of them were reasonably productive at the time. Davis is a black-hole.

There's not a team that would take that contract for 3 months of Manny.

6 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

This!   Release Davis now.   Maybe he needs out of Baltimore to get himself back together. I think he's toast, but let him be someone else's project right now.   Move Mancini to first base immediately.

Or put Davis on the DL, do something.  With the way the Orioles operate, they probably won't do anything until September.  

Archived