Brady (44th round -not signed) outstanding last night: Drake (43rd) also pitched

Tony-OH

That's great for Brady, and a fine risk for Baltimore to take in the 43rd round. If I'm fortunate enough to have kids down the road, and they are fortunate enough to be in a position to choose between college and professional sports, you can bet I'll make sure they understand what they would be passing up in turning pro.

There's also a cultural aspect to this as well. A lot of kids - like me - were raised to expect to go to college for educational purposes. Anything else would have been unacceptable. I loved the college lifestyle for a while but I ultimately went to prepare for my career. Once players like Brady are faced with a choice of either turning pro and making money or going to college, they need to separate the career preparation from the lifestyle side.

If I'm a guy like Brady, I may drive a hard bargain but I would understand that I have an opportunity to start a dream career now and that I'd be risking that opportunity - to some degree - by playing in college. Even if he flames out in the minors, he'd always have that money to put himself through college.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not doubting that he has always thought it would be cool to play college baseball for Clemson, but 99 percent of kids dream of playing for a certain major league team, not the Clemson Tigers in front of about 200 fans for most games. I'm sure it will take a great deal of money to get him, but if a kid wants to pitch in college really bad, he hasn't spent a lot of time going to college baseball games. It isn't that glamorous, even though it is a great honor. Playing college baseball isn't the same as being a football or basketball player walking around campus.

Have to strongly disagree here, you obviously have not seen college baseball in the south. I attend the University of South Carolina and Clemson is our rival, for both schools, college baseball is a huge deal and games Always get a lot more than 200 fans haha, before every weekend series there were hundreds of fans tailgating in the parking lots, it was awesome. And I strongly disagree about college baseball isnt the same as playing college football or basketball, I found that many of my girlfriends liked the baseball players a lot more than the other sports, you know what that means ;). So I dont know about college baseball in other places, but in the South, you are off.

Archived