The three most disappointing things about this season so far (other than losing)

Frobby

4 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Wonder if Cobb would waive his no-trade clause to get into a pennant race? 

Who exactly is going to want him with three more seasons left on his contract?  Even if we're to accept the late signing, no spring training, defense, rising gas prices  and everything else under the sun might have had an impact on his performance, at the end of the day he isn't getting it done.  Even if the O's kick in and eat most of the contract, I can't imagine anyone would push for Alex Cobb right now.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I think Cobb has an excuse and a valid one. It is the Orioles putrid defense

Even last night in the middle of Seattle's big rally he gives up a ground ball double down the first base line. Chris Davis was holding the runner but didn't even take a step or lunge towards the ball. His reaction afterwards seemed to be that he thought the ball was foul so didn't make an effort. I think that was a play that 7 out of 10 first baseman make. Orioles games are full of plays that are not made that good defensive teams make. The Orioles have the lowest range rating in the majors. 

So I really find it hard to evaluate the pitching staff including Cobb based on how poor the defense is.

Just watched the MLB condensed game (neat feature), and just from last night I can add the ball down the 3B line off of Beckham's glove, the single to center that due to Jones  lack of speed and weak arm that Seagura turned into a double, and then later the every day occurrence of a fly ball dropping into CF that Jones couldn't get too because he runs like a catcher (slow catcher).

No doubt in my mind that this defense is adding a full run to the pitching staff ERA.

30 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

Maybe part of the problem is that he doesn't get to face us anymore.  He was always a lot better against us than he was against the rest of the majors. 

He had an era of 4.44 over last few years against us not like he was feasting off us to improve his stats.

1. Hays He has had injury issues and when playing may not be healthy.  I was looking for him to take over Rf by June.

2.Schoop.  What do you do with him.  I was for extending him but he has looked awful this year and even if they didn’t he could bring back a big haul in a trade.  Now we can’t trade him as stock way down and you don’t want to extend him most likely.  The 2nd half will be big on what happens to him in our organization.

3. Bullpen.  They have struggled most year.  We have had a strong back end but now none are reliable and will not get the return we hoped.  Even Givens has struggled and I was looking for him to take big step and take over back end as closer.     

10 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Just watched the MLB condensed game (neat feature), and just from last night I can add the ball down the 3B line off of Beckham's glove, the single to center that due to Jones  lack of speed and weak arm that Seagura turned into a double, and then later the every day occurrence of a fly ball dropping into CF that Jones couldn't get too because he runs like a catcher (slow catcher).

No doubt in my mind that this defense is adding a full run to the pitching staff ERA.

His FIP is still over 5.00.  The defense does play a part but Cobb isn't good.

11 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

He had an era of 4.44 over last few years against us not like he was feasting off us to improve his stats.

I remember in his first few years we could not touch him.  At all.  Used to irritate the hell out of me.  And I remember feeling like we had finally started getting to him in those last few years.  I didn't know the stats, but I knew his career ERA was 2.70 against us.  So if it was 4.44 over the last few years, then it must have been absolutely miniscule in those first 3-4 yrs.

It's astounding to me how bad Schoop has been this year.  Injuries aside, he's looked more like he did as a rookie in 2014 than the MVO that he was last year.  He's always been a boom or bust kind of hitter, but this year he has been almost nothing but bust.  When he does get hold of one it's still a no doubter, but those have been few and far between.  Not sure what the underlying issue has been this year, or if there even is just one, but regardless on a team of disappointments and rage inducing failures, he's been the biggest disappointment for me, by far.

Schoop, Mancini and the entire bullpen (especially Givens) are my new top three.  Davis is the worst player on the team but that's not much of a surprise.  But what the hell happened to Schoop, Mancini and the bullpen?

As I said a month ago, it's amazing that so many people have forgotten how to play baseball at the same time on the same team.  

• 4 weeks later...

1. Cobb - signing Cobb was supposed to help boost up the rotation, he's been nothing but horrible, I hope he has a much better 2nd half, who knows how much missing spring training has had a impact on his abysmal season but it certainly didn't help

2-12, 6.41 ERA

Other notable pitchers who missed most of spring training

Greg Holland, 0-2, 0 SV, 7.99 ERA

Lance Lynn 7 -7 , 5.22 ERA

2. Schoop - Schoop has looked horrible at the plate for most of the season, he has followed up his all star campaign with a .229, .263, .389 clip, I cannot believe the amount of junk he swings at off the plate but he's not the only one

3. Mancini - Mancini like Schoop, has really struggled at the plate, after finishing 3rd in AL ROY he has posted a line of .216    .292    .363

4. I'm going to add Buck Showalter, I've been real disappointed with the O's skipper, he used to hold players accountable (and behind the scenes maybe he goes about things differently) but he's made excuses for poor base-running (Valencia) and defense (Valencia, Davis) to the point I'm really questioning what he's seeing out on the field these days, combine that with rumors he was the one saying Tillman was looking great in spring training, I think I'm ready for a new manager

On 5/23/2018 at 10:13 AM, foxfield said:

Everything said here in this thread should be on the list.  My issue is the complete lack of acknowledgment of any semblance of a plan.  And the complete lack of accountability to anyone for this mess.  As of today we have the worst record in baseball beating nearly 5 teams who are in the midst of a total rebuild and are openly tanking.  We ended last season playing terribly and entered the offseason with our GM, Manager, Best player, Best Reliever and Team Leader all in the final year of their contracts.

Top that off with a growing awareness by all of baseball that decisions were made in multiple spots with no accountability.  This is the worst run franchise in sports.  Chris Tillman and Chris Davis would be fired from any job in the country even weather man.

Our payroll and FO say we are going for it and yet we start the season without enough starting pitching, with 3 Rule V players and at least that many DH's.

It's DD's fault.  Well if he lost power after his flirtation with the Blue Jays, why not fire him or just lock him in an office in the warehouse until his contract is up?  It's clear at best he has one hand tied behind his back with control and that's not even counting the fact he cant sign foreign market players from the some countries.  And trades apparently need the approval of the Supreme Court and JTrea84.

It's Buck's fault.  Bucks a great manager and always has been...until he is not.  That time has come here and many are starting to see it.  He built a winner in AZ so he can do that part.  But he builds on trust and respect and accountability doesn't seem to apply to his veterans.  Perhaps that is part of why he has consistently had shelf life issues.  He is a smart man and he initially had this group playing better than anyone expected.  That time has passed.  Sadly.

It's Brady's fault.  Brady loves the Orioles and you cannot listen to him and not get that he cares and that he genuinely wants the Orioles to be successful.  But for the life of me, I cannot comprehend how he has the role he has.  By all reporting he gains more power and has no accountability whatsoever.  There is no team in baseball that has someone with his power or freedom.  Even the players have complained about his role.  On the flip side we have witnessed several players who have joined our sinking ship pay homage to the man with no title or accountability.  It seems he is the brain trust, the power behind the throne so to speak.  How's that working.

It's Peter Angelos' fault.  The tight wad won't spend.  We can't keep our free agents.  It is clear that he will in fact spend.  What is not clear is a consistent rationale for when to spend and on what.  No owner has consistently passed on opportunity and paid for futility in the manner of PA.  Is the advice he gets that bad?  Does he still believe he is the smartest baseball person in the game?  If the consistently poor decision making is not his, is there a reason he cannot hold anyone accountable?

Accountability to have a plan.

Accountability to execute a plan.

The lack of these things explains fully why the Orioles are in the shape they are in presently.  We take sides here that it's Buck, or Brady or DD.  Well, at some point, if no one is held accountable in the front office or on the field, your results will decline.  This is as certain as the fact that on the night of April 15, 1912, when an iceberg ruptured 5 separate compartments on the RMS Titanic, the ship would sink.

You expect these guys to make smart trades?  They are deluding themselves with their multiple agendas to compete now or rebuild.  

Peter Angelos, please sir, FIRE THEM ALL and hire someone to run your baseball team.  Or sell it.  But please stop disrespecting the game and the fans of the Baltimore Orioles.  Any idiot can run a sinking ship.  

This. Heads should have rolled after the disasterous off-season following the ALCS. IMO, that was our legitimate chance to win a World Series.

Instead we got the Duq-Tor fiasco, let two of our key players walk and replaced them with absolute garbage. Started a trend of downright terrible free agent contracts. Traded away young pitchers for more garbage. All the while squandering the value of the one player who could bring back enough young talent to rebuild off of. 

2016 was a group of pretenders who backed into a wildcard spot because of an abnormally hot start, when any rational person could tell that our one dimensional offense and lack of pitching had no chance in the post season. The wheels started falling off in ‘17 and by ‘18 the whole damn car fell apart.

Brady doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. Duq’s talking like he’ll be back. Who knows about Buck. And we still have an Angelos calling the shots. 

Why would we trust anyone in this organization to right the ship?

• 1 month later...

With the season soon to start the home stretch, Bundy has become the clear #1 for me here.  Even if we had hopes for him being an ace I think we all at least expected a reliable #3/#4 starter, and frankly that looks very much in jeopardy.  Two straight years of very inconsistent performances, and currently he's Tillman-esque.  Not the good Tillman.

Archived