Who won’t sign, 2018

So Rajsich has stated that he expects to sign 32-34 players, so that means 6-8 players likely won’t sign.

Who are these players? Here is my educated guess, 8 guys least likely to sign in order starting with least likely.

1. Slade Cecconi-2nd/3rd round talent, it’ll take more overslot than the Orioles have.

2. Sam Grace - former coach (I think) says he’s going to school on Twitter 

3. Caleb Kilian - draft eligible Soph, could be a top three round dude next year if he can thrive in the rotation.

4. Conor Grammes - College Soph, probably too raw for overslot, so he’ll likely go back.

5. Jared Denning - DI scholarship, not enough to warrant overslot.

6. Herbert Iser - same as Denning

7. Garrett Martin - HS 

8. Cody Hacker - HS 

https://napavalleyregister.com/sports/college-and-pro/former-amcan-solano-baseball-standout-denning-to-play-for-baltimore/article_14d075c4-9dfb-5daa-acb1-ebe046ead099.html?utm_content=buffer1a3c3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=LEEDCC

After talking it over with his parents, Chad and Connie, the 2015 American Canyon High graduate called Mark Riser, head coach of the NCAA Division I program at Southeastern Louisiana University, to tell him he would be signing with the Orioles.

“The coaches are excited for me,” Denning said Friday. “As much as I wanted to attend Southeastern, I couldn’t pass up this opportunity that I’ve been given.”

Denning, a catcher, signed with Utah right out of high school but didn’t get much playing time in 2016. So he transferred to Solano Community College to get more experience and shined these past two seasons.

On 6/9/2018 at 4:31 AM, Luke-OH said:

So Rajsich has stated that he expects to sign 32-34 players, so that means 6-8 players likely won’t sign.

Who are these players? Here is my educated guess, 8 guys least likely to sign in order starting with least likely.

1. Slade Cecconi-2nd/3rd round talent, it’ll take more overslot than the Orioles have.

3. Caleb Kilian - draft eligible Soph, could be a top three round dude next year if he can thrive in the rotation.

4. Conor Grammes - College Soph, probably too raw for overslot, so he’ll likely go back.

7. Garrett Martin - HS 

8. Cody Hacker - HS 

Can you pick three more you have concern about?

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:31 AM, Luke-OH said:

7. Garrett Martin - HS 

8. Cody Hacker - HS 

You are looking at this through an appropriate analysis lens comparing their current draft status and leverage to a future one.  And the right option for a lot of them is to go to and enjoy college and the education and its good times AND, if things develop properly along the baseball track, improve their draft position to earn a better bonus.  Some of these kids just want to be professional baseball players now.

And many can't say no to $100k, $200k or $500k now plus the Os paying for their future college education.

When the scouting director says he won't sign everyone, he understands that some of them will be folks on this list and others will be guys like college seniors ready to move on from baseball and ready to start their real professional careers.

I am hopeful that we will sign one or two more besides the guys Weams has pointed out.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Can you pick three more you have concern about?

I mean the prep guys Martin, Brehmer, and Whitley are the obvious ones.

Zebron and Jayne seem likely to sign, Rom and Lleras I assume are signable considering their draft position. 

It’s hard to predict a college junior or senior to not be signable, but like Hoosiers said, some guys aren’t too interested in being that long shot grinding it out in the minors for years.

5 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I mean the prep guys Martin, Brehmer, and Whitley are the obvious ones.

Zebron and Jayne seem likely to sign, Rom and Lleras I assume are signable considering their draft position. 

It’s hard to predict a college junior or senior to not be signable, but like Hoosiers said, some guys aren’t too interested in being that long shot grinding it out in the minors for years.

True, I just can't imagine them standing for the draft if they don't want to give it a try at least. 

Archived