Nightingale: Dodgers in lead for Manny

Rene88

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of interest was the Orioles exec suggesting maybe by the All-Star game.  As we have no other viable candidate and it is at Nationals Park (MASN rivalry), I feel like however silly it is we'll hold him until then.  Now that said, the Eloy-Quintana deal was before the 2nd half resumed on one of the off days, and if I had to put odds on the exact day, Thursday 7/19 is rocketing up the charts.

Hug watch will have to be carefully monitored before the guys split up after the preceding Sunday afternoon wrap-up of the Rangers series.

4 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, we heard about the Dodgers back in late April, the last time they were relevant this season and Seager was done.  No one knows who has or hasn't been negotiating let alone giving odds, like Heyman did the other day.  Such nonsense.  

What leads anyone to believe the Orioles would trade ManNY before the All Star game?  

Shouldn't you be spending your time watching the Nats punt away a totally winnable division?

Sooner the better and yes, the Nats have been a train wreck after they played Baltimore. Talent is there. I am still bitter that Dusty wasn’t brought back. I bet they would be up 3 games with Dusty as manager but owner refuses to pay any manager market value.

1 minute ago, Rene88 said:

Sooner the better and yes, the Nats have been a train wreck after they played Baltimore. Talent is there. I am still bitter that Dusty wasn’t brought back. I bet they would be up 3 games with Dusty as manager but owner refuses to pay any manager market value.

I want Dusty for the Os. The Fire!

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

He has 1.6 WAR through nearly half a season. I don't think he will be bringing back much at all.

They don't look at WAR for this.  Besides. You know I don't believe in fielding metrics. 

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

You think Baker would be worth 6.5 wins?

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Seems Milwaukee could use him very badly.  I like it that the Orioles have pulled major league scouts from major league games and sent them to look at minor leaguers.  

Article lists Brewers as second likely destination and that team would be frightening with Manny IMO. They make the most sense to me. If I didn’t distrust the Braves so much, I’d love to trade with them: their pitching depth is absurd. Nuts. They have like 7-10 pitching prospects in top 100, insanity.

There were 16,000 people at the game last night.  How many of them post here or even read the Hangout (or have ever even heard of it, no offense Tony!)?  How many of them would like to see Manny represent the Orioles at the All-Star game?  I suspect it's a lot.  Ownership shouldn't pay attention to the desires of the paying customers? 

Now, I think Manny should be traded for the right deal, whenever that deal is offered.  I'm a baseball geek and not a casual fan.  Most of the people that go to ballgames are casual fans.  So, to say that most people don't care about having Manny in the ASG is just foolish.  It's a common fallacy for people to believe that others think the way that they think.  Some are falling for it here.

Just now, NCRaven said:

There were 16,000 people at the game last night.  How many of them post here or even read the Hangout (or have ever even heard of it, no offense Tony!)?  How many of them would like to see Manny represent the Orioles at the All-Star game?  I suspect it's a lot.  Ownership shouldn't pay attention to the desires of the paying customers? 

Now, I think Manny should be traded for the right deal, whenever that deal is offered.  I'm a baseball geek and not a casual fan.  Most of the people that go to ballgames are casual fans.  So, to say that most people don't care about having Manny in the ASG is just foolish.  It's a common fallacy for people to believe that others think the way that they think.  Some are falling for it here.

Ending up with a smaller return on a Machado trade simply so he can represent the O's in the all-star game would be one of the most Angelos things I ever heard.

Just let Bundy go with the understanding he won't actually get in the game unless it goes extra innings.

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Making baseball decisions based on what the casual fan wants is a quick way to the bottom.

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Sure, if you asked right now, any casual fan of the Orioles is going to say they want Manny at the All Star Game. Long term, we will not have any casual fans of the Orioles if the team stinks year after year. We will gain 100s of thousands of fans if we are good, and they will watch TV and come to games.

7 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

Making baseball decisions based on what the casual fan wants is a quick way to the bottom.

o

Basing decisions on what any of the fans want (casual and otherwise) is often not a good idea.

o

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

Sure, if you asked right now, any casual fan of the Orioles is going to say they want Manny at the All Star Game. Long term, we will not have any casual fans of the Orioles if the team stinks year after year. We will gain 100s of thousands of fans if we are good, and they will watch TV and come to games.

I agree completely.  That wasn't my point. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ending up with a smaller return on a Machado trade simply so he can represent the O's in the all-star game would be one of the most Angelos things I ever heard.

Just let Bundy go with the understanding he won't actually get in the game unless it goes extra innings.

Just for the record, the article doesn't say the Orioles are doing it for that reason.   It just said that the deal could take place as soon as the All Star Break, without giving a reason.    In the context of trade deadline deals, where at least 90% of them typically take place in the week or two before the deadline, the article is basically saying this one could be sooner than most.   Implying that wheels are starting to be set in motion.   O's are starting to re-assign scouts to scout minor leagues of teams we might deal with, etc.

Any assumption that we are delaying it until the ASB, at least based on that article,  is utter speculation on the part of posters here, who are rightly in a foul mood at the dis-organization and would find a way to blame the weather on Angelos if they could.

Archived