Nightingale: Dodgers in lead for Manny

Rene88

Just now, SteveA said:

Just for the record, the article doesn't say the Orioles are doing it for that reason.   It just said that the deal could take place as soon as the All Star Break, without giving a reason.    In the context of trade deadline deals, where at least 90% of them typically take place in the week or two before the deadline, the article is basically saying this one could be sooner than most.   Implying that wheels are starting to be set in motion.   O's are starting to re-assign scouts to scout minor leagues of teams we might deal with, etc.

Any assumption that we are delaying it until the ASB, at least based on that article,  is utter speculation on the part of posters here, who are rightly in a foul mood at the dis-organization and would find a way to blame the weather on Angelos if they could.

I understand that.  I just throwing out my opinion of that hypothetical.

You do have to admit it sounds like something he would do.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad trades can't be made during All Star break.   We could secretly trade Manny to the Nationals 5 minutes before game time.   Manny could walk on to the field with the National League team and take off his Orioles cap and put on a Nationals Cap when he got to Shortstop. 

Crowd would love it. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I understand that.  I just throwing out my opinion of that hypothetical.

You do have to admit it sounds like something he would do.

Maybe I'm giving too much benefit of the doubt, but I would hope that wouldn't be a consideration.   At this point, if he isn't traded by the ASG, all that will be talked about on the broadcast when he bats will be his likely imminent departure anyway.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Too bad trades can't be made during All Star break.   We could secretly trade Manny to the Nationals 5 minutes before game time.   Manny could walk on to the field with the National League team and take off his Orioles cap and put on a Nationals Cap when he got to Shortstop. 

Crowd would love it. 

Trades can't be made during the All Star Break?

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Nothing good can come of Manny in the All Star game. It's a scenario with injury written all over it.

Get a good offer and make the deal as soon as possible.

Come on, what are you going to do, pack him in styrofoam until then?

As long as he isn't next to Roberto Hernandez in the team picture at the All Star Game, he should be OK.

I’ve been saying it all year - on August 1, Manny will still be an Oriole. The leaking of “rumors” has begun, so as to satisfy click quotas and generate talk forum discussion. But, I think the F.O. views trading him as an injustice to all 12 of the season ticket holders. Will they trade Britton and/or Jones? Eh, who knows. But, I seriously have a hard time believing Buck will sign off on trading his best player. And we all know Angelos’ relationship with and his trust in his field manager. I think that Peter will leave the final call up to Buck and then he will make the final call based on Buck’s input. I really hope I am wrong, but I also hoped they would trade Britton last summer. 

Just now, SteveA said:

Come on, what are you going to do, pack him in styrofoam until then?

As long as he isn't next to Roberto Hernandez in the team picture at the All Star Game, he should be OK.

No, I'm going to trade him before then. That's what I wrote. That's what I meant.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You think Baker would be worth 6.5 wins?

I know that Baker wouldn’t make a pitching change until the PH is announced:) Having said that, Matt Williams was oodles worse so who knows but I am on the record of believing that the a manager is only worth 3-5 wins a year is a load of hogwash.

Just now, Rene88 said:

I know that Baker wouldn’t make a pitching change until the PH is announced:) Having said that, Matt Williams was oodles worse so who knows but I am on the record of believing that the a manager is only worth 3-5 wins a year is a load of hogwash.

Right now you are saying he is impactful as Mike Trout.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I don't know but I bet Buck is more than negative 5 this year. 

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Just for the record, the article doesn't say the Orioles are doing it for that reason.   It just said that the deal could take place as soon as the All Star Break, without giving a reason.    In the context of trade deadline deals, where at least 90% of them typically take place in the week or two before the deadline, the article is basically saying this one could be sooner than most.   Implying that wheels are starting to be set in motion.   O's are starting to re-assign scouts to scout minor leagues of teams we might deal with, etc.

Any assumption that we are delaying it until the ASB, at least based on that article,  is utter speculation on the part of posters here, who are rightly in a foul mood at the dis-organization and would find a way to blame the weather on Angelos if they could.

I find it inconceivable  that anyone with an ounce of sense would defer trading Manny (or anyone else) out of concern for what uniform he wears in the All-Star Game. That's why I think it might be happening.

Guilty as charged.

Archived