Unlikely Trade Candidates

Aristotelian

Obviously the focus is on Manny and there are threads on Britton and Jones. I am curious to hear thoughts on any more unlikely candidates.

Trumbo has hit decently and has a reasonable contract. If O's threw in some money they might find a buyer. Who would take him?

There has been some suggestion of Valencia. Would be the market for him? What about Gentry?

There has been some talk of interest in Givens, but what about Brach?

Any buyers for Cashner?

What if the O's go for full rebuild. Any chance we move to trade Schoop, Gausman, Beckham, or Givens?

6 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Obviously the focus is on Manny and there are threads on Britton and Jones. I am curious to hear thoughts on any more unlikely candidates.

Trumbo has hit decently and has a reasonable contract. If O's threw in some money they might find a buyer. Who would take him?

There has been some suggestion of Valencia. Would be the market for him? What about Gentry?

Any buyers for Cashner?

What if the O's go for full rebuild. Any chance we move to trade Schoop, Gausman, Beckham, or Givens?

I think Trumbo would have some trade value if you ate half the contract. Even so, he won't yield much in a return, but clearing the roster spot and half the money would be worth it. I do think Valencia has a bit of value as a bat off the bench against LHP. He could probably yield a relief pitching prospect. Nothing major, but potentially usable.

I think Brach could move even with the struggles and Givens could, too. Cashner may have some marginal value, but I know know if it's enough to move him. If you can get something usable, I'd deal him, but I'm skeptical, even in this light pitching market.

I can see Trumbo going if the O's pick up the cash. I definitely think Valencia is dealt in one of those never mentioned trades. I would honestly trade Givens if the package was good, I'm not sure they will. Brach I would love to trade for something but that really depends on how desperate someone is for bullpen "help" IMO. 

I don't think the O's trade any of the SP. I feel like they view this "rebuild" as a shorter term reload and since they would still have all of their starters in 2020 they won't trade them. The idea being the pitching is here, do a quick reload on offense and get going again in 2020. If not, trade the pitching that trade deadline... 

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Any buyers for Cashner?

All should be available for a price.

Brach is pretty much a must trade IMO, get what you can, he's a free agent to be and 32 year old, no reason to keep him around. Same with Valencia.

I would hold Schoop right up to the deadline, and hope that he continues to hit well. If he does, and I think he will, someone may pay up big for him. If that happens I trade him too. I would definitely try to trade Trumbo and some $$ for a lottery ticket or two. Valencia is as good as gone, imo. I would look to trade Jones and Givens/Brach to the Indians. They have some nice prospects I would be interested in and they have a spot for Jones and a need for bullpen help.

In this pitching deprived market I would certainly listen on Gausman. Somebody would need to pay up big time for me to move him, but I would for the right return. I would not be delusional about a quick reload. The smart thing to do is the full rebuild. And it looks more promising that we may actually do the right thing, and do just that. I am excited about the full rebuild, and watching the young guys play.

23 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I think Trumbo would have some trade value if you ate half the contract. Even so, he won't yield much in a return, but clearing the roster spot and half the money would be worth it. I do think Valencia has a bit of value as a bat off the bench against LHP. He could probably yield a relief pitching prospect. Nothing major, but potentially usable.

I think Brach could move even with the struggles and Givens could, too. Cashner may have some marginal value, but I know know if it's enough to move him. If you can get something usable, I'd deal him, but I'm skeptical, even in this light pitching market.

Look at the rosters of the contending teams in the AL. Now tell me who Trumbo would be an upgrade over at DH...

OAK is the only place in the AL I could see Trumbo as a piece of the corner OF mix.  I think he's proven with the DH penalty he can't hit enough to be worth that job, so I don't see him as an AL-only player.  OAK doesn't care much about defense, whereas Seattle does, and they are the only two teams in the league whose odds are between 4-98%.  

Agree Trumbo no fit for the super teams, but our pitch to medium contenders is he helps you get a wildcard, or win your mediocre division.

Maybe he's a tack on to Machado Philly as a caddy for Nick Williams, though pity poor Odubel between Hoskins and Trumbo those days.

Arizona or Colorado might be able to use him in part-time roles, though Cargo heating up and the D'Backs having Pollock, Souza, Peralta and Jay all momentarily healthy eases their need right now.  One of those 30 or more year olds hurting themselves before Aug. 31 might give a shot at a landing spot - they know who he is and he's played well for them before.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Look at the rosters of the contending teams in the AL. Now tell me who Trumbo would be an upgrade over at DH...

That was my question. Valencia as well. I think Colorado might be a possibility for Trumbo with Desmond not hitting, and he can play 1B if wasn't being blocked by Davis.

Everyone on this roster should be available. 

Valencia could fetch a lottery ticket like Pearce did.

Schoop and Givens still have value despite their down years, as well as some controllability. I don't think fans quite understand how sophisticated talent evaluation has become, teams look at a lot more than counting stats to evaluate talent (though I think our front office still does, for reasons).  

I don't think Trumbo has much value, take a look at the last two offseasons, his type of player is not valued in this league anymore. 

I would see what the market is like for Bundy

I would be heavily shopping Gausman (Gausman is quietly on pace for a 4 WAR season). The likelihood that he is a member of the next good Orioles team is very thin.  

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That was my question. Valencia as well. I think Colorado might be a possibility for Trumbo with Desmond not hitting, and he can play 1B if wasn't being blocked by Davis.

Valencia's slump is killing any trade value that he has.  The Orioles should have looked to move Valencia earlier similar to what the Blue Jays did with Pearce.  

55 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Desmond has 18 hrs and 56 rbis in 370 ABs. 

Trumbo has 12 HRs and 28 rbis in 255 ABs. 

They're both terrible defensively. 

It seems like it would be a lateral move to me. 

Valencia would just be an off the bench bat for most teams. 

23 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

While I've seen chatter on Schoop, I can't see how he gets dealt.  He should be part of any rebuild. 

...if he's willing to sign an extension. If not he needs to go. I don't want to play this same game with Schoop next season. 

29 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

Everyone on this roster should be available. 

Valencia could fetch a lottery ticket like Pearce did.

Schoop and Givens still have value despite their down years, as well as some controllability. I don't think fans quite understand how sophisticated talent evaluation has become, teams look at a lot more than counting stats to evaluate talent (though I think our front office still does, for reasons).  

I don't think Trumbo has much value, take a look at the last two offseasons, his type of player is not valued in this league anymore. 

I would see what the market is like for Bundy

I would be heavily shopping Gausman (Gausman is quietly on pace for a 4 WAR season). The likelihood that he is a member of the next good Orioles team is very thin.  

There's zero chance they trade Bundy or Gausman. Schoop and Givens won't be traded either. Not now at least. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Maybe a PH/part-time 1Bman on a National League team  if the Orioles pay most of his salary. 

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

OAK is the only place in the AL I could see Trumbo as a piece of the corner OF mix.  I think he's proven with the DH penalty he can't hit enough to be worth that job, so I don't see him as an AL-only player.  OAK doesn't care much about defense, whereas Seattle does, and they are the only two teams in the league whose odds are between 4-98%.  

Agree Trumbo no fit for the super teams, but our pitch to medium contenders is he helps you get a wildcard, or win your mediocre division.

Maybe he's a tack on to Machado Philly as a caddy for Nick Williams, though pity poor Odubel between Hoskins and Trumbo those days.

Arizona or Colorado might be able to use him in part-time roles, though Cargo heating up and the D'Backs having Pollock, Souza, Peralta and Jay all momentarily healthy eases their need right now.  One of those 30 or more year olds hurting themselves before Aug. 31 might give a shot at a landing spot - they know who he is and he's played well for them before.

I don't see any team committing to Trumbo as a full time outfielder. And Khris Davis isn't going anywhere...

Archived