Buck Voted "Manager You Would Not Want to Play for"

TonySoprano

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think the Rays understand the fan base, pretty well, did I hear right last week, that their new stadium plans, calls for 33K seats?

They are also looking for about 800M in additional funding so I question how well they know the area.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats not what I read, when I read Jeter's autobiography. The players liked and respected Buck, and thought he got the shaft, when King George fired him for not firing and replacing his entire coaching staff.

You should read more. This was reported very widely for years. He was a notorious pain in the butt. He talked openly when he was hired by the Orioles about how he had learned to chill about some of the details that irked players. 

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

Not playing Britton in that wildcard game was a move seen by everyone and sticks out as the dumbest thing I have ever seen a baseball manager do.  How could any player not lose faith from that kind of decision?

Agreed.  This was the beginning of the end. 

I'm pretty sure that one of the more respected members here posted about how the players went over Buck's head to get him fired in Arizona. In Texas, the players didn't like him either which no one on here really wanted to acknowledge at all. He lost the clubhouse there fairly quickly and now, he's lost it here too. Not at all surprising. I wish we could have just been willing to acknowledge his past fully instead of appealing to bias instead. It wouldn't have made a difference in the grand scheme, but maybe what's happening right now wouldn't be so jarring to so many people here. It's not surprising at all what's happening right now in Baltimore and Showalter is a big part of it.

Yes, that wild card game was an embarrassment. It's even more embarrassing considering he made the same kind of horrific blunder in 1995 with the Yankees. He used Jack McDowell to close out the game in extras instead of the best closer of the 90's in John Wetteland. The two situations are very similar and Showalter has done it twice with the exact same results. Granted, one was a save situation and one wasn't, but in both situations, the game was on the line; no, the SEASON was on the line. You want the ball in the hand of your best pitcher in that situation.

Anyway, I also don't think it's a coincidence that two of the three teams he managed literally won the world series in the first year without him. I know, some players are added and whatnot, but we can see from not only this year, but years past that a managerial change can have significant impacts on the performance of the team and these changes happen almost instantaneously. The manager is the leader of the team. He makes the decisions and holds people accountable. His number one priority is winning, not loyalty to individuals but loyalty to the team and to winning. If the manager is off his rocker, the performance of the team will reflect that. I am not sure why this concept is so hard for so many people to understand, though.

In Baltimore, we have serious systemic problems within the organization on top of that and that's why we're seeing this now and at the end of last year. It's also why this could be seen coming a mile away starting with the Toronto debacle, the Hyun-soo Kim situation and especially since the aforementioned wild card game. All put together, it has brought this organization to it's knees once again. This MUST be rectified or we will be looking at another era of darkness. I hope it's a sale of the team. The Orioles need to clean house from top to bottom and start all over again and I hope they do that this time instead of spending 14 years applying band-aids to axe wounds. The Orioles must commit to it this time. I hope that they will, but it is not encouraging that nothing was learned over the last two decades and nothing has really changed.

Archived