Yusniel Diaz: Where would he rank in the O's pipeline?

wildcard

35 minutes ago, Natty said:

Diaz ranks right up there with Santander. Remember how high every one on here was about him ?

12 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

I don't recall Santander ever being a top 50 or even 100 prospect.  besides, he's a long way from being done.

They are not comparable.   

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Proof?

Because he wasn;t...unless you're talking about org. rankings. 

13 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Proof?

Because he wasn;t...unless you're talking about org. rankings. 

"Still young for his level, Santander posted dominant stats (.290, 20 HR, 95 RBI, 42 doubles, 10 steals in 128 games) and was ranked the 16th-best prospect in the league." 

Just now, Natty said:

"Still young for his level, Santander posted dominant stats (.290, 20 HR, 95 RBI, 42 doubles, 10 steals in 128 games) and was ranked the 16th-best prospect in the league." 

I assume "the league" means the particular minor league he was in at the time.   How many minor leagues are there, 10?  15?

9 minutes ago, Natty said:

16th best prospect in the CAROLINA league.

Returning to Lake County in 2014, Santander's season was essentially lost while his right elbow recovered from the previous season, and 2015 found him back with the Captains for a third go-round. This time, however, at age 20, Santander was ready (.278, 10 HR, 42 RBI, 16 doubles in 64 games), and Cleveland saw fit to move him to Class-A Advanced with the Lynchburg Hillcats in the Carolina League.

Still young for his level, Santander posted dominant stats (.290, 20 HR, 95 RBI, 42 doubles, 10 steals in 128 games) and was ranked the 16th-best prospect in the league. While he was able to play through the full season, he did have shoulder surgery at the end of the year, influencing Cleveland's decision to leave him unprotected for that year's Rule 5 Draft. The Baltimore Orioles snatched him with their second pick.

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I assume "the league" means the particular minor league he was in at the time.   How many minor leagues are there, 10?  15?

10 full-season leagues, and then 7 lower leagues.  He was in the Carolina League at the time.    For context, at the time, that league only had 8 teams.   So, being the 16th best prospect there is not as tough as being in the same spot as a league with more teams.     

7 hours ago, utvolzac said:

Still a player of Manny’s caliber should net you a top 5-10 prospect, like a Torres or Acuna.

Diaz could improve, but he’s far from a sure thing. I put him in the Cisco/Hays/Mountcastle level.

Im just frustrated at this organization’s complete lack of awareness and inability to evaluate players. We should never have gotten to this point where a player of Manny’s caliber has been devalued to rental status because the idiots in the warehouse thought we had a snowball’s chance in hell of being a contender.

At the time of the Chapman trade Torres was ranked anywhere from #28-#41 in various top 100 lists, and didn't become top 5-10 until after he was with the Yankees.

I get your frustration though, because this front office has gotten me to that point many times. If we knew what any of the off season deals were involving Manny it would be a little easier to see if they actually had a better deal at any point.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

MLB Pipeline plugged them into our top 30.

#2 Diaz

#13 Kremer

#17 Bannon

#29 Pop

How is Sedlock still top 10 put the crackpope down who decided on that.  Harvey still way too high as he can’t stay healthy.

17 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

How is Sedlock still top 10 put the crackpope down who decided on that.  Harvey still way too high as he can’t stay healthy.

They haven't updated. I think they only do it twice a year. Should be soon.

Archived