O's vs. Yankees for Teixeira?

fearthenoodle

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think $25M is a ridiculous number for Tex. He's not gonna get that much. $18-20M is the max I think he gets.

8/$160M would be the absolute biggest contract I think anybody offers him.

He's a very good, great even, player, but he's not one of the 4-5 best players in baseball, worth $20M+ a year for a long time. He's not ARod or Santana.

Yep. A contract that big is the kind that sets a rebuilding franchise back for years (see: Texas Rangers; A-Rod).

Really? The O's getting outbid by the Yankee's... That would be SHOCKING! :eek:

I've read this book before, it's a tragedy. If you think Steinbrenner is getting outbid by a shallow-pocketed AL East team like the Orioles you're crazy. Won't. ever. happen.

You are simply way off base here. Calling the Orioles shallow-pocketed is just flat out wrong. The Orioles have gone head-to-head with the Yankees for free agents very rarely. Angelos can and will pay anything the Yankees can to get Tex.

How much would you bet? :P

Idea for you two bozos...

If Moscow wins, JTrea has to buy him an authentic Baltimore Orioles Kevin Millar jersey. If JTrea wins, Moscow has to buy him a case of Russia's finest vodka! :mwahaha:

People are really overvaluing the contract Tex is likely to get.

A 6 year deal for 110-120 million sounds about right.

Really, a "fair contract" for him is like 5/75-90...But we know he will get more than that.

I could see some team offering a 7th year and i could see the Orioles being that team if needs be but this idea that he gets 25 million a year is extremely far fetched.

I think anything over 20 million a year is far fetched personally unless he absolutely blows up in the second half and carries Atlanta into the playoffs.

Idea for you two bozos...

If Moscow wins, JTrea has to buy him an authentic Baltimore Orioles Kevin Millar jersey. If JTrea wins, Moscow has to buy him a case of Russia's finest vodka! :mwahaha:

:scratchchinhmm::scratchchinhmm::scratchchinhmm:

;)

Well, the Yanks will need pitching, a 1b and a rf after this season. Anyone aware of other FA options at those positions? I know about Sheets, Sabathia, Tex, Delgado, Dunn and Sexson (I think). Are other big FA's available this year?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Yanks tried to address their other concerns and targeted Pujols in the future instead.

And Mussina... $10m more saved...
Abreu comes off also... $16m unless they pick up his option.
Pettitte's is another big contract they can dump I believe.

If the Yanks let go of all these guys, why even go after Teix?

I can see Giambino and Pavano....but 2 of their top 4 pitchers?

Pettitte's is another big contract they can dump I believe.
Yankees owe the following players the following amounts next year:

Rodriguez: $32M

Giambi: $5M (buyout)

Jeter: $20M

Rivera: $15M

Posada: $13.1M

Damon: $13M

Matsui: $13M

Pavano: $2M (buyout)

Igawa: $4M

Cano: $6M

Molina: $2M

The following will be arb eligible:

Wang ($4M in 2008)

Betemit ($1.2M in 2008)

Bruney ($.75M in 2008)

M.Cabrera ($.5M in 2008)

So thats about $140M (with arb estimates) for about 12 guys who will be on their roster (with Giambi, Pavano, and Igawa (minors) not on the team). They can probably add $90M to that and be ok.

The Yankees will not pay more for Tex than they are giving to A-Rod. Just imagine what that would do to the Yankee clubhouse. As long as the contract stays below 25 million a season, the O's will be in it...

Even $20-24 Mil per season for Tex we would be getting ripped off. Especially if we end up in the top 15 and have to give up our 1st round pick for him. :cussing:

You are simply way off base here. Calling the Orioles shallow-pocketed is just flat out wrong. The Orioles have gone head-to-head with the Yankees for free agents very rarely. Angelos can and will pay anything the Yankees can to get Tex.

Which ones? Here's a reality check for you, my friend:

2008 Orioles Payroll: $67 million

2008 Yankees Payroll: $209 million

If the Yankees offered Tex $25 million per that would represent 12% of their payroll.

What is Angelos' spending limit in a stadium that is half full 82 times a year? $110 million? Let's pretend its $110 million, which I think is liberal. $20 million a year would be 18% of our total payroll, 1/6th of our entire team.

If that's not David vs. Goliath then I don't know what is. Because the Yankee's are in a 25 million person market (larger really when you take all the transplants into account), they can afford to pay any player more money than Baltimore and still have it make sense financially. The ROI of adding a good player is simply higher in NY than in Baltimore. Period.

If the Yankee's want Tex, the bidding war is just a formality. Either we've already lost or we'll bury our franchise underneath one players salary. Outbidding the big market teams has been tried many times in the past and its been a futile decision by those teams that have succeeded.

Yankees owe the following players the following amounts next year:

Rodriguez: $32M

Giambi: $5M (buyout)

Jeter: $20M

Rivera: $15M

Posada: $13.1M

Damon: $13M

Matsui: $13M

Pavano: $2M (buyout)

Igawa: $4M

Cano: $6M

Molina: $2M

The following will be arb eligible:

Wang ($4M in 2008)

Betemit ($1.2M in 2008)

Bruney ($.75M in 2008)

M.Cabrera ($.5M in 2008)

So thats about $140M (with arb estimates) for about 12 guys who will be on their roster (with Giambi, Pavano, and Igawa (minors) not on the team). They can probably add $90M to that and be ok.

This post is an example of why OH is a informative place to hang out!

:thumbsup1:

$90 million is only about 30% more than our current payroll! We shouldn't have any trouble competing against that.

Even $20-24 Mil per season for Tex we would be getting ripped off. Especially if we end up in the top 15 and have to give up our 1st round pick for him. :cussing:

I think we only give up our 1st rounder if we're NOT in the top 15 picks. That might have been what you're saying, I'm not sure.

The Yanks will likely spend about $40-$50 million on pitchers alone this offseason. I'm guessing that'll be the price for Sabathia/Sheets, Mussina and Pettitte. It'll be very interesting to see what they do with RF as well. If Abreu resigns, it'll probably be for about $10 million I'd guess.

This all gets very expensive when you're paying the luxury tax. There's no doubt they have the money, but there is a doubt that it's cost effective. They can't indulge themselves all the time.

However, between the Yanks, Mets and Sox, I'll be surprised if one of them doesn't indulge themselves. :angryfire:

Teix to Orioles: 8 years $150
Burnette: 4 years $50 million

Agreed on Teixeira. I'd be willing to bet that Angelos goes as high as 8 year $160 million, if not a little higher.

As for Burnett, that's an awful contract to give to an injury-prone pitcher. I'd be interested in trading for him this season though...

Archived