O's vs. Yankees for Teixeira?

fearthenoodle

Okay, I'll ask the question one more time. Someone please give me any example of Angelos getting into a bidding war for a FA that he didn't live to regret? I think all these machinations about a packed stadium in April 2009 and paying out 20% of our payroll for one player (a 1B, no less) is really cute and all, but nothing I've seen from Angelos or Steinbrenner leads me to believe Tex will be wearing an O's uniform--assuming the Yankees want him. If we are bidding against any other team, be it the Mets, Red Sox, Angels, etc., I think we actually have the advantage because (a) our payroll is currently so low and (b) I think Angelos is ready, able, and willing to field a $110 million payroll so long as the team is contending. Assuming a juggernaut like NYY isn't in the Tex sweepstakes, I seriously doubt that Tex gets more than $18 per in this economy at this time.

Who said anything about a packed stadium in April '09? I only mentioned an increase in attendance starting next year and that was based on us signing Tex and MacPhail staying the course.

Will Camden Yards be sold out, or at least filled at a 75% or higher capacity, on a more regular basis in the future? Sure.

Will it be at the start of the '09 season? No.

Just because the Yankees are the Yankees doesn't mean they have the same draw with FA's that they used to. They have found out that they can't just buy their way into the World Series by throwing millions of $$$ to FA's.

The Orioles on the other hand are positioning themselves as a perennial playoff contender, and signing Tex is a big part of that.

If you look at Bigbird's post about what he is hearing about the off season priorities, Tex is at the top of the Orioles list.

Also, all FA's don't sign just based the team offering the most money. Some (agreed a low percentage) look at the writing on the wall and will take less money for a higher potential of postseason success. A-Rod most likely could have had more money overall if he listened to Boras and didn't deal with the Yankees himself. Konerko took less money to stay in Chicago (for the records I'm not trying to re-open that can of works, just stating an example). In the NBA, Gilbert Arenas left $16 million on the table by staying with the Wizards (different model than MLB, but it goes to show that atheletes aren't all about the money).

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who said anything about a packed stadium in April '09? I only mentioned an increase in attendance starting next year and that was based on us signing Tex and MacPhail staying the course.

Will Camden Yards be sold out, or at least filled at a 75% or higher capacity, on a more regular basis in the future? Sure.

Just because the Yankees are the Yankees doesn't mean they have the same draw with FA's that they used to. They have found out that they can't just buy their way into the World Series by throwing millions of $$$ to FA's.

The Orioles on the other hand are positioning themselves as a perennial playoff contender, and signing Tex is a big part of that.

If you look at Bigbird's post about what he is hearing about the off season priorities, Tex is at the top of the Orioles list.

Also, all FA's don't sign just based the team offering the most money. Some (agreed a low percentage) look at the writing on the wall and will take less money for a higher potential of postseason success. A-Rod most likely could have had more money overall if he listened to Boras and didn't deal with the Yankees himself. Konerko took less money to stay in Chicago (for the records I'm not trying to re-open that can of works, just stating an example). In the NBA, Gilbert Arenas left $16 million on the table by staying with the Wizards (different model than MLB, but it goes to show that atheletes aren't all about the money).

So Baltimore's decade of dominance is going to induce Tex to sign with us rather than the Yankees? Do you really think the Yankees are in a state of disrepair? They are going to sign a pair of dominant arms and a couple of bats and be right back in it next season.

Oh, and Tex will be signing a deal this summer not next July when you think we'll have 75% attendance. In baseball more than any other major sport, money talks. Steinbrenner is well aware that his lofty payroll is a sustainable competitive advantage over every other team in the league. For every dollar we spend, he can spend $2. Win or lose, George can drive up the price for any player he wants and he'll be the first to do so if he sees Baltimore as a threat (which at this point I imagine he does).

So Baltimore's decade of dominance is going to induce Tex to sign with us rather than the Yankees? Do you really think the Yankees are in a state of disrepair? They are going to sign a pair of dominant arms and a couple of bats and be right back in it next season.

Oh, and Tex will be signing a deal this summer not next July when you think we'll have 75% attendance. In baseball more than any other major sport, money talks. Steinbrenner is well aware that his lofty payroll is a sustainable competitive advantage over every other team in the league. For every dollar we spend, he can spend $2. Win or lose, George can drive up the price for any player he wants and he'll be the first to do so if he sees Baltimore as a threat (which at this point I imagine he does).

The Orioles can bid with any team for any one player.

That my friend looks like delusions of grandeur. Lets see the finished plan before saying where we are or aren't positioning ourselves.

Before all is said and done...the Yankees will be in the race THIS year. That you can take to the bank.

That my friend looks like delusions of grandeur. Lets see the finished plan before saying where we are or aren't positioning ourselves.

Before all is said and done...the Yankees will be in the race THIS year. That you can take to the bank.

If we aren't trying to position ourselves as a playoff contender with the what the FO has done since bringing in MacPhail, and what will occur this off season, then what are we doing?

I certainly don't think that MacPhail is going to use the Marlins strategy of winning a World Series and then having a fire sale after the season is complete.

If we aren't trying to position ourselves as a playoff contender with the what the FO has done since bringing in MacPhail, and what will occur this off season, then what are we doing?

I certainly don't think that MacPhail is going to use the Marlins strategy of winning a World Series and then having a fire sale after the season is complete.

Here's some math: how much will Markakis, Jones, BRob, Weiters, Guthrie, Huff, and a bunch of roleplayers cost us in 2011? Now add in $20 million a year for Tex.

The Marlins payroll management is more of a fact of life than a strategy. They accept the facts and move on rather than clinging to third place for 10 years like some of these other franchises. I'm not advocating we do that (its been disastrous for their fan base), but the reality is that there is the world the 8 monarchs live in and then there is everybody else. We're everybody else.

The potential of Tex being a main cog in the Orioles future is enticing to him, as well as moving back to his native Maryland. Playing for his favorite team growing up and being a key part of taking them back to prominence is pretty enticing too. Not being under the perpetual scrutiny of the NY press

Even if the NYY sign "a pair of dominant arms and a couple of bats" that will further deplete their farm system further down the road b/c they will lose their draft picks as well. That's partially how they got into the situation they are in now. The Yankees still owe a lot of money to quite a few aging players too.

Some of their can't miss prospects have missed by quite a bit so far, and their young stud Joba has been pushed out of the bullpen, where he was a great setup man, and into the rotation because they were relying on those prospects to perform up to their expectations in addition to injuries.

BTW, since when do free agents sign in July/summer anyway? You do realize the off season starts after the season ends right? I'm pretty sure that's why it's called the off season.

I brought this up a few weeks ago. The OH will turn on him worse than they did against Moose. There is not a doubt in my mind about that!

I agree. He's my high school classmate. His dad worked with me at Northrop. He would still become the most hated man in Baltimore!

Here's some math: how much will Markakis, Jones, BRob, Weiters, Guthrie, Huff, and a bunch of roleplayers cost us in 2011? Now add in $20 million a year for Tex.

The Marlins payroll management is more of a fact of life than a strategy. They accept the facts and move on rather than clinging to third place for 10 years like some of these other franchises. I'm not advocating we do that (its been disastrous for their fan base), but the reality is that there is the world the 8 monarchs live in and then there is everybody else. We're everybody else.

I'll assume that you've done the math on that with your $110 MM, so add roughly $12 MM to that for "raises" for:

• Roberts (if not traded)
  • Markakis (assuming we sign him to an extension sooner rather than later)
  • Huff (if the Orioles want him in 2011, he'll be 34 I think)
  • Jones (won't cost us much unless we pull a Rays and sign him long term in the next year or so. He is under control for quite awhile.)
  • Weiters (same as Jones)

That comes to $142 MM, well within what Angelos can afford.

The way the Rays are going about things could be the way the smaller market teams can compete long term. Should the Rays gamble pay off, they could be able to make a serious run for a few years . Other smaller, and maybe even mid market teams will follow suit versus alienating the fan base the way the Marlins did.

I'll assume that you've done the math on that with your $110 MM, so add roughly $12 MM to that for "raises" for:
  • Roberts (if not traded)
  • Markakis (assuming we sign him to an extension sooner rather than later)
  • Huff (if the Orioles want him in 2011, he'll be 34 I think)
  • Jones (won't cost us much unless we pull a Rays and sign him long term in the next year or so. He is under control for quite awhile.)
  • Weiters (same as Jones)

That comes to $142 MM, well within what Angelos can afford.

The way the Rays are going about things could be the way the smaller market teams can compete long term. Should the Rays gamble pay off, they could be able to make a serious run for a few years . Other smaller, and maybe even mid market teams will follow suit versus alienating the fan base the way the Marlins did.

Yah, there is no reason to think Huff will still be around.

Then let the Yankees have him. I just don't think he is the one to turn the team around. I still believe there are more holes that need mending than putting Mark at first. So i would spend the money more wisely and fix the hole at SS and the others. IMO

Then let the Yankees have him. I just don't think he is the one to turn the team around. I still believe there are more holes that need mending than putting Mark at first. So i would spend the money more wisely and fix the hole at SS and the others. IMO

A cheap David Eckstein/Mike Bordick type SS would work just fine with Teixeira in the lineup. No need to pay a lot for a SS.

Archived