How do you rate the return on the Britton trade?

Frobby

How do you rate the return on the Britton trade  

222 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the return for Britton?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/31/18 at 06:54

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Haystacks said:

How does this return compare to the Orioles trading EdRod for Andrew Miller? 

My initial reactions are that they are similarly good.

Tate has a similar ceiling to EdRod(number 3 starter)

We also got a potential closer in Carroll and a potential number 5 starter/solid depth in Rogers

15 minutes ago, Haystacks said:

I think this depends on how much you think the return of more warm bodies is a positive.  EdRod was a far better prospect, probably on par with Yusniel Diaz, but Miller was (is?) a better pitcher, and we got 2 other arms back.  One of which is really intriguing as a reliever.  The Orioles probably wanted depth because their MiL system is so thin.  But other people (and other teams) might disagree.

I expect all three of these guys to be a part of the team next year. Getting three major leaguers for 9 weeks of Zach Britton is a coup, and hopefully at least two of the three turn out to be above average MLB players. I am a huge Dillon Tate fan, as we attended the same college (UCSB). 

I'm happy with what the O's got back given this situation. I think on paper they did pretty well in these two deals. We'll never know what the exact package Houston offered last year was but how favorably I view this going forward will depend on what these three contribute relative to Moran. Moran is a highly volatile prospect who could really break out but as of now he seems like a bad defender with middling power whose service time would already be ticking. So as it stands, I consider it a success.

A very solid return with two high upside guys and one possible 5th starter.  What makes this trade outstanding is that it's clear Angelos isn't calling the shots anymore, and we weakened a rival's farm system.   We will probably get the #1 pick next year and a top 5 pick next year to add superstar potential players.  If you are going to rebuild this is how you do it. 

Solid. Better than a trade headlining by Moran. Quantity over quality, for sure. It's teetering between Solid/Decent. But leaning solid because Britton hasn't even pitched much (and doesn't have the same stuff he had before), the trade is better than some of the other trades made for relievers already and he's a rental.

54 minutes ago, Haystacks said:

I'd much rather ERod over Tate. ERod was anywhere from the 43rd or 68th best prospect in baseball depending on which publication you go by. Dillon Tate hasn't had that kind of ranking since 2016. He's currently the Yankees 9th best prospect.

That said, Britton (today) isn't Andrew Miller.

Boston clearly focused on quality over quantity. The Orioles focused on quantity over quality in this trade. 

Tate has high upside, but could become Britton. Rogers is Yefry Rameriez 2.0 or Richard Bleier 2.0. And we got a BP arm who has some issues with control. Though there's not much effort in his delivery, Carroll didn't provide a lot of strikes in college and hasn't in pro ball. He sometimes overthrows and yanks his pitches out of the zone. If he can do a better job of harnessing his power stuff, he could serve as a high-leverage reliever and perhaps even a closer at the big league level. 

From MLB Pipeline concerning Carroll

People need to realize how much of a stud relief prospect Cody Carroll is. So the Yankees have one of the most talented, and deepest, farm systems in out there. With that being said, do you know how good you have to be to be a relief pitcher and be ranked their #15 prospect?

Carroll checks every box. He’s pretty much a finsihed product. He’s closed before. He’s dominated multiple levels, including AAA. He gets more SO than IP. He’s dominated the Arizona Fall League. He throws upper 90s. What more could you want in a relief prospect?

i hope we don’t waste him as “closer”  until we’re winning more than 50 games. I want him on a set throwing schedule up here. 

I consider the headliners to be roughly equal compared to what we would have gotten last season with Moran, but I believe this fills a bigger need, with with better timing.  Moran would have likely started his clock this season, while Tate is both younger, and won't start his clock until next season.

I don't know too much about the other prospects that Houston had to offer, but Carroll is really intriguing as a nearly-MLB-ready reliever.  As for Rodgers, Duquette probably recognizes that some of his trades are for spare parts, and the guys targeted are a bit older than we'd like, but stocking the high minors like this really fits Dan's MO and sets us up to be able to have an impactful AAAA shuttle squad that Duquette's so brilliantly wielded during our successful years.

To that end, I like that they were able to target so many guys in the high minors.  We obviously want help sooner rather than later, and the high minors guys are both easier to project and allow us to compete as early as 2020 if things roll right.  We probably have at least 1, maybe 2 more trades to make.  Jones, Schoop, and Brach should be shopped for sure.  If we trade Schoop and one of the others, we will likely end up with 12-14 prospects whose likely arrival date is in 2019-2020.  That combined with (hopefully) picking up Witt Jr in next year's draft gives us a pretty solid young core for a 2021-2025 run.

Archived