Cody Carroll should be with the O's soon

wildcard

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is a benefit to bringing young players to the majors if they are ready to make the jump.   They and the team get to see how they measure up. What the need to work on.  What plays well.

Well sure.  But I'm not sure that bringing them up a month earlier is that much of a benefit to lose a year for.  Will the team really gain that much more benefit by bringing him up in August instead of waiting until September?  Just don't see the need to rush him, or anyone else, this year.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The early part of Carroll's MLB career too may involve the Norfolk shuttle.  Until the system gets re-worked, teams can easily game the system to parlay a reliever's 6 years of club control into 7 (or even 8 for more marginal talents).

Even if it doesn't defer arbitration, the extra year adds trade value for 2-3 years from now when hopefully he's something a bit like Brad Hand.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

If  Brach puts 5 to 7 good outing together he could bring back a decent prospect in trade.   

I hate to keep being that guy, but no, no 5 to 7 good outings won't change anything.  Before you say "what about Britton" completely different circumstance and it wasn't the results of the outings as much as the improved velocity and movement on his sinker which mattered.  Teams wanted to see that.  

A good stretch is not changing a MLB FO's view of someone...

I might be in the minority here but I believe one of the reasons Dan is acquiring back-end relievers in these trades is if they can be developed they can be flipped.  Cost-controlled high leverage relievers are extraordinarily valuable in today's game. I say that to say bring up Cody Carroll as soon as they believe he's ready for success. 

1 hour ago, forphase1 said:

Some have said he could be our closer of the future.  Maybe that's overblown, maybe it's not.  But yes, for all our players during this rebuild I'm worried about service time.  Sure, for some positions and players it's more important than for others, but this is a lost season...I see no real benefit to bringing him up a month quicker if that means we lose a year of control in the end.  

It won't really affect anything. They have to put him on the 40-man this winter. If they call him up now, he still has 3 options after this year, and will be tied to the team for 6 full additional seasons.

2 hours ago, awannabegeek said:

I hate to keep being that guy, but no, no 5 to 7 good outings won't change anything.  Before you say "what about Britton" completely different circumstance and it wasn't the results of the outings as much as the improved velocity and movement on his sinker which mattered.  Teams wanted to see that.  

A good stretch is not changing a MLB FO's view of someone...

Brach has been a good reliever for years.   A bad first half  may not change other teams opinions of him if they see he is just to his career number for 5 to 7 outings. Especially if they don't want him to be a closer.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Brach has been a good reliever for years.   A bad first half  may not change other teams opinions of him if they see he is just to his career number for 5 to 7 outings. Especially if they don't want him to be a closer.

Brach has been solid to very good in a particular role and he has sputtered much more pitching later in games.  It is possible that is simply coincidence, but I think he has some value to anyone looking to add 6/7/8 inning reliever.  Certainly not getting a haul regardless of his next 5 to 7 outings.

3 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Well sure.  But I'm not sure that bringing them up a month earlier is that much of a benefit to lose a year for.  Will the team really gain that much more benefit by bringing him up in August instead of waiting until September?  Just don't see the need to rush him, or anyone else, this year.

If the O's follow this line of thinking then Fry and Ramirez should be sent to the minors right now.  No Mullins this year whether Jones is traded or not.  No John Means.    I don't think Buck and Dan  are going to follow any or this with Carroll any of these players.

4 hours ago, forphase1 said:

While I agree the numbers make it look like he is ready, isn't there service time implications to take into consideration?  This is a lost year anyway, so another win or two by bring out Carroll versus say Brach or Givens really doesn't matter.  Granted I'm not up to date on the service time situation for Carroll, and to be honest the service time thing can be confusing also.  But I wouldn't bring any truly talented guy to the majors this year if it's going to negatively impact service time or how long they are ours before hitting free agency.

I think we're going to see some of the young arms up in September just because of one simple reason - the O's aren't going to have enough pitchers to get through the season.

I think we see Brach get traded and Bundy hit the DL at some point. They have a lot of young pitchers in the bullpen who will be gassed by late August/early September. I think we might see some of the young guys just cause they'll need somebody to put out there.

21 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Brach has been solid to very good in a particular role and he has sputtered much more pitching later in games.  It is possible that is simply coincidence, but I think he has some value to anyone looking to add 6/7/8 inning reliever.  Certainly not getting a haul regardless of his next 5 to 7 outings.

Brach is now seen as a mid-relief pitcher at best. While his worst career ERA is in the 9th inning, pitching extremely well in the 7th and 8th, he has been awful in high leverage innings in 2018. He has an ERA over 5 in innings 7-9. He hasn't given up a run in any appearance prior to the 7th. I'm starting to think Brach has the yips. If the team that gets him can sort him out mentally, he could be a bargain. Certainly a guy worth trading for.

1 minute ago, Thato'sfan said:

Brach is now seen as a mid-relief pitcher at best. While his worst career ERA is in the 9th inning, pitching extremely well in the 7th and 8th, he has been awful in high leverage innings in 2018. He has an ERA over 5 in innings 7-9. He hasn't given up a run in any appearance prior to the 7th. I'm starting to think Brach has the yips. If the team that gets him can sort him out mentally, he could be a bargain. Certainly a guy worth trading for.

Agreed. He's movable, but you're just not going to get anything great for him, just a warm body and a little cost savings.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Pitching right now

3 up, 3 down, 2 K's

He looked downright filthy. Good deception and the slider got swings and misses from lefties. Looked big league ready(has been for a while now according to scouts). Will likely be in Bmore soon. 

51 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Agreed. He's movable, but you're just not going to get anything great for him, just a warm body and a little cost savings.

Indeed. Hope to see him succeed after moving. Was a great Oriole. His problem truly seems to be mental. I guess closing messed with him?

Archived