Orioles Top 50 Prospects - Midseason Edition...now including the Gausman/Schoop returns

Luke-OH

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/07/30/orioles-top-50-prospects-ms2018/

My personal top 50, newly updated.

Sorry for the delay, the trade deadline excitement (plus real world responsibilities) got in the way.

All prospects acquired in the Manny Machado and Zach Britton deals are included and I've watched a some game video of each.

Questions, comments, and criticism are all welcome.

Here's the one with the prospects from the Gausman/Schoop deals.

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/08/25/lukes-midseason-top-50-adding-the-prospects-from-the-gausman-schoop-deals/

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great job. Two things that jump out at me about the list,

1.  In the top 20, everyone is having pretty much “good years” except Hays and Harvey. A very productive top 20. 

2.  I know you’re great at this, but it didn’t seem like you were struggling to find guys to fill out this list. You didn’t have to turn to a bunch of recent draftees or glorified Organizational guys that “just need a chance.”

I feel like in years past we’d still have guys like Reyes, Peralta, and Sedlock in the top 20 just because of previous success, age/potential, and draft status. 

I don’t follow other systems so I don’t know where we’d rank, but a good showing from our prospects this year, the guys we brought back in trades, and a solid draft, has to have our overall system ranking improved. 

I’m hoping you’re going to have to redo this in a week to include more prospects that come back in deadline deals and to include whatever we’re doing on the international front. 

Thanks and keep up the hard work. 

Luke, Great write-up.   We are lucky to have you on the Hangout.

Question:  Why does Mullins rank above McKenna?

I see three flaws with Mullins at the moment:

1) Fringy arm that may make him a left fielder or 4th OFer at some point.

2) Not hitting in the 2nd half.  Happened last year and is happening this year.

3) Not hitting lefties at AAA.

McKenna has a better arm though only average overall.  He is two years younger and has more time to correct his flaws.  Hit both righties and lefties at Frederick. He is still adjusting to AA.

I think both guys are lead off hitter types.  Their power will not keep them in the majors.  Their ability to get on base will.

Interested to understand your thinking on this one.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2.  I know you’re great at this, but it didn’t seem like you were struggling to find guys to fill out this list. You didn’t have to turn to a bunch of recent draftees or glorified Organizational guys that “just need a chance.”

This is what I was wondering about.  Luke, where in your top 50 would you put the cutoff between prospects you think have a legit shot at sticking in the majors, and those you don't?

And of course, top notch work!

39 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Disappointing to see Grenier that low. I don't know if I've seen "questions about being able to hit with a wood bat" in a scouting report before. 

Grenier was considered a reach by many draft experts at his pick. He's got a good glove but is not and in all likelihood never will be known for his bat.

39 minutes ago, ZantiGM said:

muckenhirn ahead of kline and means?

how in the world can you rate rodriguez ahead of akin?

lowther is a stud

25 minutes ago, ZantiGM said:

sparks #25???????????  what could u possible base that on...sparks is #40-#50 until he shows something

Both bishop and alvarado are better then dietz

He pretty much tells you his reasoning in each player blurb.

It's opinions.  His can be (and obviously are) different than yours.

Archived