Dan says "tear it completely down"

wildcard

I wanna see Mullins and the others, but would bringing them up in a meaningless August and September be worth losing the year of control? Someone mentioned tonight that holding off on the Schoop early call-up would have meant one more year of team control (and maybe more back in that trade). Wouldn’t a September (not sure how far into it the rosters expand - what date) call-up be better with that in mind? I think the minor league regular season ends the first week of September. Maybe after that?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I think with the massive salary dump in process, we need to non-tender Beckham. There is really no reason to pay him the next couple seasons.

The problem is you have to see what FA shortstops are available on the market.  He may be cheaper than a free agent, even one who has to pick the Orioles for playing time and to rebuild their value.  I don't think Beckham is getting much of a raise either.  

Random thought:

while other teams have gotten praise for trading guys drafted late to get quality talent from the Orioles, I believe the Orioles did a good job largely ignoring draft status. We got players we liked, regardless of them being drafted in later rounds. Some of the guys we got might be overlooked/under rated due to their draft position.

31 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:
  2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I think with the massive salary dump in process, we need to non-tender Beckham. There is really no reason to pay him the next couple seasons.

Well if he plays like he did the second half of last year than he is a trade-able commodity so there is that

3 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I wanna see Mullins and the others, but would bringing them up in a meaningless August and September be worth losing the year of control? Someone mentioned tonight that holding off on the Schoop early call-up would have meant one more year of team control (and maybe more back in that trade). Wouldn’t a September (not sure how far into it the rosters expand - what date) call-up be better with that in mind? I think the minor league regular season ends the first week of September. Maybe after that?

If the plan is for Mullins to be the starting CF next year then it does not matter. The only advantage in keeping him down longer is a Sisco situation this year. Chance was up last year for a month so if the Orioles can keep him down long enough this year then he will not have a full year of service time.   

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, 

Thorne - what about Mullings?

DD - He’s the future in CF and he’s earned the right to get promoted. 

I think AJ stuck around because he’s mad that we wouldn’t give him a handshake deal to being him back next year. AJ shouldn’t have lobbied PA to bring back CD. He had the price is right background on Twitter.

It’s funny how life works, Jones wants nothing more than to finish out his career with the Orioles. He can’t, because he lobbied too well for the team to let Davis to be able to do that. It sucks. 

Another example in the change in ownership. Jones meets with PA and Davis is brought back. Jones meets with John/Lou and Jones can’t even get himself back. 

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned yet, 

Thorne - what about Mullings?

DD - He’s the future in CF and he’s earned the right to get promoted. 

I think AJ stuck around because he’s mad that we wouldn’t give him a handshake deal to being him back next year. AJ shouldn’t have lobbied PA to bring back CD. He had the price is right background on Twitter.

It’s funny how life works, Jones wants nothing more than to finish out his career with the Orioles. He can’t, because he lobbied too well for the team to let Davis to be able to do that. It sucks. 

Another example in the change in ownership. Jones meets with PA and Davis is brought back. Jones meets with John/Lou and Jones can’t even get himself back. 

Davis has the spot of overpaid, declining veteran sewed up.  He's so bad he can't be traded either.  I wish Jones wasn't staying the rest of the year.  There's going to be some real hurt feelings when Jones sees the O's offer to him.

5 hours ago, Thato'sfan said:

Random thought:

while other teams have gotten praise for trading guys drafted late to get quality talent from the Orioles, I believe the Orioles did a good job largely ignoring draft status. We got players we liked, regardless of them being drafted in later rounds. Some of the guys we got might be overlooked/under rated due to their draft position.

This is a fair point but a number of the guys we got were drafted in rounds that usually produce just a few MLB players at best.   So you are gambling that you got one of those guys. 

5 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Made sense to call Schoop up when we did. We were trying to win in what looked like the beginning of our window.  Orioles won 96 games in 2014

I have no problem with the O's deciding to tear it completely down.   I have a big problem with trading Gausman and Schoop and not getting quality players in return.   There is no reason that they needed to be traded at the deadline if they couldn't get highly rated players back.  They have all winter to get better deals.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Dan was on the game broadcast tonight and said they decided to do what the Cubs, Astros, and Phillies have done and tear it completely down.  Ask why Gausman with years left on this contract he said if the player is not going to be there when the tear in good again its time to trade them.  

Sounds like losing 100 games for at least 3 more years.   

Its makes me wonder why the O's would pay Buck 3.5m per year to lose 100 games.  They can find cheaper managers to do that.

Yeah, I remember that.  Dan said, "“I think it’s easier to demolish the house and build a good foundation from the ground up rather than renovating it one room at a time. " Shortly after, Ramirez gave up a 3 run HR, making it 6-0 NYY, and off went the TV.

Archived