If Andy MacPhail was the O's GM....

wildcard

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Our defense stinks, but it doesn’t affect Gausman as much as you think.   ERA 4.33, FIP 4.58, xFIP 4.05.   MLB average for starting pitchers: 4.22, 4.25, 4.18.    So, I think the term “middling” is fair.   If you want to say he’s slightly above average, I might buy it.     But to me that’s not inconsistent with “middling.”     

I think he missed his closer calling. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Tony,

What happen to Gausman, he was supposed to be a sure bet TOR guy, and never came close to it.

Did they over-value him?

Did they under coach him?

If he going to end up like Jake, where some other team, gets him to be all that he could be.

That's a great question. I think it just comes down to command. Gausman never could command his fastball glove side and it tended to leak out over the plate. His slider was never a consistent pitch, though it did improve over time. Batters started ignoring the splitchange as well because he always started in the same spot with the same break low and under the hands of right handed batters. 

I think his numbers will get the NL treatment, but he's still going to have those days where he gets hammered. 

I'd be shocked if he turned into an Arrieta because he doesn't have the pure raw stuff that Arrieta had.

I don't think baseball sees him much better than a 4 starter which is why the return was what it was.

9 hours ago, atomic said:

Everyone said how much easier it is to sell than to buy when comparing DD to MacPhail.  But then DD gets robbed in a sell-off.  Time to admit he is just bad at his job.  I think the Chen and Miquel signings were in the works before he got here.  There is a reason he was out of baseball for 10 years.  

Lol, no one takes you seriously you know, right? Statements like these are so ridiculous it makes any other argument you make invalid.

You can say you thought he should get more, but to act like he just pulled a Thrift borders on insanity or shows your complete and utter inability to understand the players received.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

So why trade Gausman and Schoop at the deadline for less.   Wait until the off season.   

Why would Gausman and Schoop have more value this offseason then when teams think they are player or two away from strengthening a playoff caliber team into being a World series contender.

I live in Atlanta, the talking heads on radio here are viewing Gausman as and innings eater and that is about it. If Atlanta was willing to part with their top prospects, then they could have gotten deGrom or someone like him. Gausman is no deGrom and will likely never be.

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That's a great question. I think it just comes down to command. Gausman never could command his fastball glove side and it tended to leak out over the plate. His slider was never a consistent pitch, though it did improve over time. Batters started ignoring the splitchange as well because he always started in the same spot with the same break low and under the hands of right handed batters. 

I think his numbers will get the NL treatment, but he's still going to have those days where he gets hammered. 

I'd be shocked if he turned into an Arrieta because he doesn't have the pure raw stuff that Arrieta had.

I don't think baseball sees him much better than a 4 starter which is why the return was what it was.

Really?  That's really surprising that he's seen as a 4th starter.   He's only pitched 2 full seasons, and 1 of those he was a solid #2, and for most of the rest of his career he's been somewhere between league-average starter to slightly above that.  My definition of a 4th starter is a serviceable but barely-average (or slightly below) player, and Gausman has been pretty consistently better than that, at least when you consider whole seasons. (I know he sucked first 1/2 2017.)  I feel like he is being labeled a bust because he hasn't reached (what people perceive to be) his ceiling.

His splitter is as good as it's ever been - .558 OPSA and 20% whiff rate.  There isn't much indication that players are ignoring the splitter - his swing rate on the splitter is the highest of his career.  And he's throwing it more than ever. The bigger issue is that he has to rely on his splitter so much because his lower-velo, better-control fastball is getting lit up this year.

23 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Can we trade Davis PLEASE? id settle for a salary dump and get almost nothing back...

Almost?  I don’t care what anyone says...that right there is funny.

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

Archer brought back more than Bedard. The Orioles traded away infinitely more than anyone else.

Dude.....

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

Duq inherited a great deal and we are now in worse shape than any organization in baseball. 

I’ll have what he’s having!

We’re all friends here...make it one For everyone!!!

And I want to complement you on the use of infinitely.  There is no better way to put a cherry on hyperbole than to drop infinitely and yours was outstandingly played.  

Drink up. You’re all welcome! ?

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Almost?  I don’t care what anyone says...that right there is funny.

The Orioles would have to pay most of Davis' salary and then still pay some more in prospects to get rid of him. It would be more economical to just cut him. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Did MacPhail trade six significant players the entire time he was here? 

The view that AM was hesitant and that DD was a quick strike has always been odd to me.  AM traded Tejada almost immediately upin taking the job and waiting a couple of months to trade Bedard worked out just fine.  Meanwhile facing a last gasp of the core, DD did virtually nothing during this critical offseason except a tired Cashner and wait so long on Cobb that he was terrible for half the season. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol, no one takes you seriously you know, right? Statements like these are so ridiculous it makes any other argument you make invalid.

You can say you thought he should get more, but to act like he just pulled a Thrift borders on insanity or shows your complete and utter inability to understand the players received.

Even when he was Cimota. 

59 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did MacPhail trade six significant players the entire time he was here? 

He did better than that.  He traded for six significant  players Jones, Tillman, Davis, Hardy, Hunter and George Sherrill (51 saves in 2 seasons).

Archived