Grade the Rebuild, Phase I

Frobby

Grade the Rebuild, Phase I  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the five trades and rebuild steps overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 18:35

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s your overall grade for the rebuild effort so far, including the five trades and overall change of direction?    Poll above, and feel free to elaborate here.    

Not sure how I can grade at this point, its so early?

On the surface, I guess it would have to be a B, I think how Diaz come out of this, as he is the best prospect, could change that.

I gave it an A-/B+. I feel like definitely a solid B. The Gausman trade is still hard for me to get behind because I was hoping for some top end quality, assuming our prospect price was high or we wouldn't trade him. But I think we did well with the rest of them. I guess this is getting into phase 2, but as many have said, if we do work with the international money, then I'll be near an A. At least A-. 

I gave it an A-/B+ simply because of the boldness of the moves that is unlike anything we've seen from the O's in recent history.  I think all of the trades yielded useful parts (even Brach for the $250K in International slot allocation).  Diaz, Ortiz, Encarnacion, Carmona, and Tate all have high ceilings that you can dream on.  Kremer, Carroll, and Pop could all play important roles on the O's next winning team.  Valera and Villar can be useful during the rebuild.  And others could be ML role players.

But, most importantly, this team finally realized that they had to go in another direction and did it decisively.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What’s your overall grade for the rebuild effort so far, including the five trades and overall change of direction?    Poll above, and feel free to elaborate here.    

Adam, Trumbo and Givens should have been traded. But that is a work in progress

1 minute ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I gave it an A-/B+. I feel like definitely a solid B. The Gausman trade is still hard for me to get behind because I was hoping for some top end quality, assuming our prospect price was high or we wouldn't trade him. But I think we did well with the rest of them. And if we do work with the international money, then I'll be near an A. At least A-. 

We have obvious intention with the international money.  It's simply a matter of execution now.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The returns for Manny and Britton were much more than what we received for Schoop/Gausman which is surprising given the years of control.  If we are able to sign some top end international players with the INT$$$ the grade will be higher. In general the Gausman return seemed like a sell low combined with a salary dump.

I still think this "angst" over what we got for Gausman is a bit much. The guy never lived up to his potential here. He wasn't much more than a tease. Certainly not a true top of the roation guy.  And we saved a lot in the deal by dumping O'day's inflated salary. Plus if the international money helps us net Mesa, it's a very good deal.

I was a bit underwhelmed with the Schoop return but it's obvious he wasn't part of the rebuild plan. 

7 minutes ago, NATTYBO's said:

The returns for Manny and Britton were much more than what we received for Schoop/Gausman which is surprising given the years of control.  If we are able to sign some top end international players with the INT$$$ the grade will be higher. In general the Gausman return seemed like a sell low combined with a salary dump.

2 month rental of Manny and Britton could help their teams win a WS.

Schoop & Gausman were fan favorites, but their impact on their new team, isn't going to be felt too much.

There is a long losing road ahead, but we are moving 100% in the right direction and with appropriate speed.

Forget NYY and Bos, look at the Rays lineup going forward - Wendle, Duffy, Bauers, Cron, Pham, Meadows, KK, Adames.  We are worse everywhere in the lineup. 

Again, it is a long road ahead - likely 3-4 years of heavy losing.

Find blocked prospects, find initially failed prospects, develop quality relievers (the new gold teams are trading for), draft well and get a move on internationally.  Let's put on those boots and get to work.

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

2 month rental of Manny and Britton could help their teams win a WS.

Schoop & Gausman were fan favorites, but their impact on their new team, isn't going to be felt too much.

Schoop is turning his season around and could end the season with similar #'s to last year.  He's an all star second baseman and would have rather waited to the offseason.  The best thing we got out of Gausman was International bonus money, this is pitiful compared to what rays got for archer

I love the direction. Of course I would have liked some higher prospects yesterday but we don't know what was offered elsewhere. 

This part of the process is never pretty...just like an uninspired team in 2018 isn't thrilling. I think there is some reason for optimism though.

Serious question...how many top 100 players were moved during the deadline season? I really don't know, or know where to find that out. It seems as though teams are valuing their prospects and not parting with them as easily as before.

Archived