Renato Núñez

LarryBigbie

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy for this opportunity for him.  He should be hard-coded into the lineup this month.  Hitters like him I feel need the regular reps to get to what talent they have.  Whatever baby steps he may make on defense pale in importance to whether he can adjust to MLB pitching. 

Most of the universes in which he becomes a regular for awhile, it's probably at 1B/LF/DH.  The 90th percentile of his bat may carry him there.

6 hours ago, LTO's said:

He's the exact type of player the O's should be moving on from. Limited ceiling at the plate and bad defensively. A player like Adeiny Hechavarría would be a good replacement for him since he just got DFAd.

How can a guy that has 34 and 33 homers the last two years in the minors at 23 and 23 have a limited ceiling.  His power alone gives him a chance, if he can improve to an average defender and an average on base guy that would be a steal for guy we picked up on the trash heap.

5 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

How can a guy that has 34 and 33 homers the last two years in the minors at 23 and 23 have a limited ceiling.  His power alone gives him a chance, if he can improve to an average defender and an average on base guy that would be a steal for guy we picked up on the trash heap.

PCL. Why would a team like OAK waive him?  TEX did the same. 

Who remembers Willis Otanez?  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/o/otanewi01.shtml

Plug the guy in and play him. Let’s see what he can do. 

8 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

Because doing it in the minor leagues is entirely different than doing it in the big leagues. Christian Walker hit 32 home runs last year in the minors and 26 one year between Bowie and Norfolk. He's a total non prospect. Prospects are prospects because of tools and projection. Nunez isn't a prospect because he doesn't project well in the majors. He also is a complete liability in the field.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He hit 33 in A+ ball as a 20 year old.  He hit 22 in AA and missed a third of the season at 21 years of age.  Then he followed it up two years in a row with 30+ in the PCL so it is not just PCL numbers but he has done it at every step of the way so far when given full playing time.  

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Oakland waved him because they have a logjam at 1b and 3B with Olson who hit 24 homers last year in 50 some games for them.  They have Chapman that looks like a great young 3b and stellar defender.   Those two guys were also the reason they traded Healy to the mariners after having a solid season.  

The hit tool and power is their the question is can he play a serviceable 3B in order to be a contributer at the major league level. 

16 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Yep, he has more potential to commit an error.

Do me a favor, just put me on ignore. 

You are biased bc you are lobbying for these people personally. Taking shots at Nunez isn’t fair. 

15 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It happens. But with Nunez and his history, it will happen more, at a higher rate. 

He is the 3rd base defensive equivalent of Tim Beckham at short.

Who cares? We are going to stink for the next 2 years. Dosch’s upside is s utility guy. Nunez could actually return value. But you are too busy lobbying for people to see that. I loved watching Hess at Bowie and I think he can be a solid #4/5 but I am not saying he is a tor guy. Your opinions are tainted.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Who cares? We are going to stink for the next 2 years. Dosch’s upside is s utility guy. Nunez could actually return value. But you are too busy lobbying for people to see that. I loved watching Hess at Bowie and I think he can be a solid #4/5 but I am not saying he is a tor guy. Your opinions are tainted.

and yours aren't tainted?????

I have to be honest, I have not seen Nunez in the minors, but just looking at the errors and fielding percent, would lead one to believe he was sub-par with the glove at 3rd.

Something like 17 games and 6 errors is pretty good evidence towards that opinion.

Normally, I'd say errors are not a good way to measure a minor leaguer's defense, but Nunez had a staggering number of errors playing 3B in the minors.  He's been regarded as a high ceiling hitter, but he hasn't gotten there.  Still, I can see giving him a shot for the rest of the season - certainly over guys like Dosch.  I'm not particularly optimistic about him, but there's some upside, and we've got little to lose by giving him a shot.    

I saw Nunez on June 30 in Norfolk, a Tillman rehab start. Sat right behind the 3rd base dugout.  Tillman got into trouble in the 3rd due to a Nunez error, and another scored a hit, but really should have been fielded by Nunez.  At least that game, he didn't seem to have a great first step in fielding the ball.  With his bat, certainly worth seeing if he can at least become a serviceable IF. But I'm expecting some growing pains.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

and yours aren't tainted?????

I have to be honest, I have not seen Nunez in the minors, but just looking at the errors and fielding percent, would lead one to believe he was sub-par with the glove at 3rd.

Something like 17 games and 6 errors is pretty good evidence towards that opinion.

Oh, he is def sub-par with the glove. Not arguing that. Just saying their is potential with that bat.

Archived