Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

5 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

This is the real value of Villar to the O's right now. Hoping for a Gerardo Parra-esque performance and then SELL SELL SELL.

Villar's salary is relatively low enough and his offensive skill set versatile and deficient on the O's enough, that I don't consider him an immediate "sell" candidate.

1 minute ago, LA2 said:

Villar's salary is relatively low enough and his offensive skill set versatile and deficient on the O's enough, that I don't consider him an immediate "sell" candidate.

All I can say is don't get too attached to this guy. The better he plays, the less likely he will be here one year from now.

I'd argue we are offensively deficient by design moving forward.

10 hours ago, LA2 said:

So far Villar has been approximating the short year he had with the Astros in 2015 (.752 OPS then, .748 with the Os). The next year he had his great season with the Brewers (38 doubles, 19 bombs, 62 stolen bases, .285/.369/.457/.826). Along with Mullins, Villar's also adding another exciting mode of attack to the offense, one that probably keeps the other players' heads in the game more than yet another soporific Davis whiff. And he seems to be decent at second base, with moments of brilliance.

Schoop is finally beginning to find his groove offensively with MIlwaukee. But I'm OK with the trade so far. I'll be delighted if the prospects we also got manage to flourish in our system.

Only if the prospects become MLB players will the Schoop trade work out well.

Getting Villar is nothing. Villar will not be an Oriole the next time the team has a chance of a winning record. While Villar could help a contender, he is not helping the Orioles. It would be in the team's best interest to trade him as soon as possible. Villar is already making $2.55MM and is ARB 2 this winter and he is blocking the path for somebody. Who wants to pay him $5MM to be an Oriole in 2019? Not me. That's a gamble on trying to trade him next July. And he is far from a sure thing.

I am guessing that the Brewers said, "The only way you get Ortiz is if you take on Villar's contract."

1 hour ago, esmd said:

Schoop is only 26.  If you can get him back and extend him, he becomes part of your rebuild.  And unless Mountcastle truly has the arm to play 3rd (which is in question), then Schoop wouldn't be blocking anyone.  I get what you're saying, but it's not like we're talking about Jones or Trumbo.

Here is my problem with this.

This team sucks for 2+ seasons and by 3+ season, Schoop will be pushing 30.

People have already complained about seeing his range decrease some, granted, he never had the greatest range of a 2nd.

He can't play SS or 2nd, so what does that make him, 1st or DH???????

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

All I can say is don't get too attached to this guy. The better he plays, the less likely he will be here one year from now.

I'd argue we are offensively deficient by design moving forward.

I hear what you're saying. I was just thinking that if we do head into many years of darkness, he might carry the torch that B-Rob or Melvin Mora did during previous bad times.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

People have already complained about seeing his range decrease some, granted, he never had the greatest range of a 2nd.

One thing we've learned over the last five years is that you can never have too many DHs! ;)

38 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

It makes him a 3rd baseman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Like I said, this strategy is exhibit A in "How to doom a re-build from the start."

You say he's not blocking anyone, but in all likelihood the next contending O's team consists mostly of players that are not yet a part of the organization. Schoop isn't a game-changer and even if he were, such a player makes no difference on this team moving forward. The O's can't pay for prime years of veterans right now. It would be the most indefensible and counter-intuitive move I can re-call from Duquette in recent years.

We'll have to agree to disagree.  I could see them contending again in 2-3 years, which if they were to re-acquire Schoop this offseason OR sign him as a FA after 2019 to, again, a team-friendly deal to play 3rd base, that Schoop would contribute positively when they are again a contender.

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sorry, Ive seen him play 3rd, and a polite, no thanks.

Agree to disagree.  He hasn't played 3rd with any consistency since the minors several years ago.  I think it's fair to say that he's improved defensively and could be good there with regular playing time.

• Upvote 1

Just now, esmd said:

Agree to disagree.  He hasn't played 3rd with any consistency since the minors several years ago.  I think it's fair to say that he's improved defensively and could be good there with regular playing time.

Usually, short range 2nd baseman, aren't able to handle the demands of the "hot corner".

He has greats hands and glove, but he is not going to be able to overcome the range issue, which decreases with age.

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

This is the real value of Villar to the O's right now. Hoping for a Gerardo Parra-esque performance and then SELL SELL SELL.

Yeah, I hate to say it because it's fun to watch him play, but it's probably going to make sense to trade him if he has a good first half next season.  As he re-establishes his value, I could see him getting the O's a better package than they got for Schoop.    

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yeah, I hate to say it because it's fun to watch him play, but it's probably going to make sense to trade him if he has a good first half next season.  As he re-establishes his value, I could see him getting the O's a better package than they got for Schoop.    

De Aza had a decent 2nd half with the team, and then the following year, forgot how to play baseball.