Interesting Article on Orioles Pitching Development

atomic

Perceptions and misconceptions seem resist to change in MLB.  We won more games than any team over a 4 year period and still had the perception of being a perennial loser.  Now that we're back at the bottom, it's only cemented said belief.  There's probably not much that will change how outsiders view our pitching development unless we consistently produce above average talent for a long period of time.

28 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

Perceptions and misconceptions seem resist to change in MLB.  We won more games than any team over a 4 year period and still had the perception of being a perennial loser.  Now that we're back at the bottom, it's only cemented said belief.  There's probably not much that will change how outsiders view our pitching development unless we consistently produce above average talent for a long period of time.

Are you implying that our recent (last decade or more) organizational difficulty in producing serviceable, home-grown STARTING pitchers is a misconception? Sure we have been very good at acquiring and developing bullpen arms, but not sure how you can defend our development of starting pitching.

2 minutes ago, joelala said:

Are you implying that our recent (last decade or more) organizational difficulty in producing serviceable, home-grown STARTING pitchers is a misconception? Sure we have been very good at acquiring and developing bullpen arms, but not sure how you can defend our development of starting pitching.

No I think it's a well earned reputation.  I'm suggesting a type of inertia in the sport towards changing perceptions and reputations.  i.e. We completely change our approach to developing pitchers, but the industry belief is that we are pitchers' elephant graveyard or something. 

My point is I think it's going to take a long time for the Orioles' reputation-- in any aspect-- to change completely.  Or we win a World Series like Houston.

3 minutes ago, gmelson26 said:

No I think it's a well earned reputation.  I'm suggesting a type of inertia in the sport towards changing perceptions and reputations.  i.e. We completely change our approach to developing pitchers, but the industry belief is that we are pitchers' elephant graveyard or something. 

My point is I think it's going to take a long time for the Orioles' reputation-- in any aspect-- to change completely.  Or we win a World Series like Houston.

Oh for sure, I 100% agree there. 

10 hours ago, gmelson26 said:

IMO, bringing in outsiders like Wasdin who are generating results and part of new-school thinking is great.  I honestly didn't know about him until this was mentioned.  There has been a shift in how we draft players the past two years though.  I definitely see the team taking more chances on younger players with higher ceilings.  

Now, if we can just get rid of the "cookie cutter" molds that we still have our pitchers do like the minimalist windup or always using the sidestep from the stretch, I will be a happy guy.  Let these guys pitch the way they have had success, we don't need to reinvent the wheel, or have the same wheel for everyone.  And a journeyman pitcher like John Wasdin understands that, and that's part of the reason why I think he's having success with our young pitchers.  

Archived