Next years position players

El Gordo

Just now, El Gordo said:

Hays, Diaz, and Yaz can back up CF. No need to spend the money.

They are not putting Hays and Diaz as a backup 4th outfielder coming off the bench that would be just stupid both guys need playing time and at bats.  Let them play effectively in AA or AAA to start the year.  Rickard is a better player then Yaz and will make the same amount.  The opening day roster is not going to have a bunch of the big prospects they will let what we have play some and then June or so make some moves.  Trumbo will get traded and then Mancini or Nunez(if he produces with bat and not with glove) will go to Dh and you will see the young guys.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

That's possible. But I'd play Wynns or Susac over Sisco. Once upon a time he was a hot prospect but the bloom is off the rose IMO.

He is a 23 year old catcher trying to learn to hit in the majors along with trying to improve his defense.  I believe he worked so hard in the off season on improving the defense which he has done to be a catcher at this level may have taken his time away from the bat.  Even though he has not hit well he still works the count and gets on base .306 OBP is not too bad for a guy that is not hitting up to his potential.  

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

That's possible. But I'd play Wynns or Susac over Sisco. Once upon a time he was a hot prospect but the bloom is off the rose IMO.

I didn't get to watch play at all this year, but he really looked that bad? No chance for his bat in the minors to show up? Obviously we traded for a catcher that's a prospect, so not exactly a vote of confidence to him. Just sad that after less than 200 PA it sounds like most think he won't be any good. 

9 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Hays, Diaz, and Yaz can back up CF. No need to spend the money.

Hays and Diaz should get significant AAA time next year.   Yaz will be another Rickard, probably not as good.   

I know everyone is excited about the rebuild but it is not going to happen over night and will take time there really is not any position players outside Mullins and maybe Mountcastle, if they trust his defense enough, that is ready to play at the majors for another year or so.  We have to be patient and not rush guys let them get at bats and then come up and also why waste service time on a bad team.  

1 minute ago, bpilktree67 said:

They are not putting Hays and Diaz as a backup 4th outfielder coming off the bench that would be just stupid both guys need playing time and at bats.  Let them play effectively in AA or AAA to start the year.  Rickard is a better player then Yaz and will make the same amount.  The opening day roster is not going to have a bunch of the big prospects they will let what we have play some and then June or so make some moves.  Trumbo will get traded and then Mancini or Nunez(if he produces with bat and not with glove) will go to Dh and you will see the young guys.

We have no idea about trades this is about what we have now. If Diaz is on the team ir will be as a starting OF. So he can move to CF if need be.  I don't know if Rickard is better than Yaz, how do you know?

I am sure a free agent or two will be brought in.  It doesn't make any sense to turn all the positions over to young guys, it's not like the Orioles have an MLB rosters worth of young guys to fill all those position.  Signing some upside free agents who can be flipped for prospects down the line is necessary to rebuild, plus it creates more competition which is necessary to get the most out of players.

Looking at this year alone Maybin, Martin, Eovaldi, Ramos, Axford, Lynn, Duke, and Moustakas all fit this mold.

If the Orioles fill out their roster with just what's available in the organization it will be a very long, and ultimately very unsuccessful rebuild.

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

We have no idea about trades this is about what we have now. If Diaz is on the team ir will be as a starting OF. So he can move to CF if need be.  I don't know if Rickard is better than Yaz, how do you know?

If they thought he was better now he would be in the majors.  There is a reason he is a 27 year old outfielder playing in AA and AAA.   

11 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I didn't get to watch play at all this year, but he really looked that bad? No chance for his bat in the minors to show up? Obviously we traded for a catcher that's a prospect, so not exactly a vote of confidence to him. Just sad that after less than 200 PA it sounds like most think he won't be any good. 

For a guy we brought up mostly for his bat he looked helpless. As bad as Davis.

I think Beckham  could be non-tendered.  His offense and defense are both terrible and he stands to make 4 or 5 million so that's an easy choice in my book. I also think they find a way to move Trumbo in the offseason (probably eating 2/3 of his salary). The opening day roster will probably look nothing like the one we have mid-season and mid-season will looking nothing like the one ending the year.  My early prediction:

Starting lineup: 2B Villar, RF Diaz, DH/1B Mancini, 1B/DH Davis, 3B Nunez, LF Stewart, SS Valera, C Sisco, CF Mullins

Bench: C Joseph, OF Rickard, IF Wilkerson, DH/1B Alvarez

Starting rotation: Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Akin, Rogers

Bullpen: Givens, Castro, Carroll, Wright, Hess, Bleier, Fry

It may be a stretch having Diaz in the opening day lineup, but maybe he has a strong spring training and gets the Schoop/Markakis treatment.  It's more likely we make a veteran depth signing, but I wanted to use guys that are currently in the organization.  

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I am sure a free agent or two will be brought in.  It doesn't make any sense to turn all the positions over to young guys, it's not like the Orioles have an MLB rosters worth of young guys to fill all those position.  Signing some upside free agents who can be flipped for prospects down the line is necessary to rebuild, plus it creates more competition which is necessary to get the most out of players.

Looking at this year alone Maybin, Martin, Eovaldi, Ramos, Axford, Lynn, Duke, and Moustakas all fit this mold.

If the Orioles fill out their roster with just what's available in the organization it will be a very long, and ultimately very unsuccessful rebuild.

There is a few guys i like next year that i like that fit that but not sure how much they add to the payroll to sign them.  I expect them to try and stay under 90 million.  If they can move few guys here and there in trades frees up some money.   I like Chisnall from Cleveland decent bat for RF and can play some third as well.  

7 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think Beckham  could be non-tendered.  His offense and defense are both terrible and he stands to make 4 or 5 million so that's an easy choice in my book. I also think they find a way to move Trumbo in the offseason (probably eating 2/3 of his salary). The opening day roster will probably look nothing like the one we have mid-season and mid-season will looking nothing like the one ending the year.  My early prediction:

Starting lineup: 2B Villar, RF Diaz, DH/1B Mancini, 1B/DH Davis, 3B Nunez, LF Stewart, SS Valera, C Sisco, CF Mullins

Bench: C Joseph, OF Rickard, IF Wilkerson, DH/1B Alvarez

Starting rotation: Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Akin, Rogers

Bullpen: Givens, Castro, Carroll, Wright, Hess, Bleier, Fry

It may be a stretch having Diaz in the opening day lineup, but maybe he has a strong spring training and gets the Schoop/Markakis treatment.  It's more likely we make a veteran depth signing, but I wanted to use guys that are currently in the organization.  

Agree on Beckham.

12 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

There is a few guys i like next year that i like that fit that but not sure how much they add to the payroll to sign them.  I expect them to try and stay under 90 million.  If they can move few guys here and there in trades frees up some money.   I like Chisnall from Cleveland decent bat for RF and can play some third as well.  

He is an absolutely terrible fielder, especially at 3B. The last thing we need is another Trumbo type in RF. He would be a slight upgrade over Valencia only in that he is lefty.

This is a fun exercise to go through, but I'm more focussed on what the lineup will be when everything's settled - after the all-star breaK:

1B  Davis

2B  Villar

SS  Beckham

3B  Mountcastle

LF  Hays

CF  Mullins

RF  Diaz

C  Caleb

DH  Trumbo

I'm too lazy to do the bench.  

I think at some point, they acquire a SS and move Beckham to super utility guy.  And I'm hoping Victor Victor takes Hays' spot in LF.  Check that - I hope he takes Trumbo's spot in the order, and they can alternate the 4 OFers at DH.  Trade Trumbo for a bag of chips with barbecue sause.      

I think Chuck's post above looks pretty close.  

They need to prioritize clearing 1B or DH for Mancini and getting him out of the OF.  

I'm guessing that the roster in June looks significantly different than the roster on Opening Day as I'm sure they'll play some service clock games with some of these guys.  

Archived