Next years position players

El Gordo

It looks like this is the situation:

Jones, Gentry and Valencia are now the only guys who are FA at the end of the season.  Villar, Beckham,  Nuñez, Peterson, Bundy, Wright and Marinez are out of options.

Sisco, Stewart and Mullins are the three positional prospects in AAA (am I missing someone?)

There is also Yacabonis, Rogers, Means and a bunch of relievers that look as ready as they will be.

My guess based on past behavior is they hold onto as many pieces as possible until the better prospects force their hand (and most of them haven’t played in AAA yet).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

I see no reason to give Sisco the job before he proves he's up to it. Right now he looks over matched at the plate and barely acceptable behind it.  I think RF will be between Diaz and Stewart, who ever has the best camp, I think Mountcastle will get enough AB between 3B/DH/PH. If not Hays then Yaz.

How can he prove if he's up to i if he doesn't play? You can't evaluate him if you don't give him a big enough sample size. Sisco should start the season as their catcher and stay in the lineup until the all-star break. If he's still struggling after 1/2 a season playing regularly then you re-evaluate. There's no intelligent argument for playing Joseph on this team unless it's for how he handles the young pitchers. 

21 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I think Beckham  could be non-tendered.  His offense and defense are both terrible and he stands to make 4 or 5 million so that's an easy choice in my book. I also think they find a way to move Trumbo in the offseason (probably eating 2/3 of his salary). The opening day roster will probably look nothing like the one we have mid-season and mid-season will looking nothing like the one ending the year.  My early prediction:

Starting lineup: 2B Villar, RF Diaz, DH/1B Mancini, 1B/DH Davis, 3B Nunez, LF Stewart, SS Valera, C Sisco, CF Mullins

Bench: C Joseph, OF Rickard, IF Wilkerson, DH/1B Alvarez

Starting rotation: Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Akin, Rogers

Bullpen: Givens, Castro, Carroll, Wright, Hess, Bleier, Fry

It may be a stretch having Diaz in the opening day lineup, but maybe he has a strong spring training and gets the Schoop/Markakis treatment.  It's more likely we make a veteran depth signing, but I wanted to use guys that are currently in the organization.  

I agree with this pretty much, except I'd wait a little bit on Diaz, subject to how he does in ST, and I'd use the rest of this season to see whether Beckham justifies bringing him back (as of now, it's an easy no) and what Joseph does at the plate. I'm also not sure about Akin in the rotation and wouldn't give up yet on trying Castro as a starter. And I'd try to give Wilkerson plenty of playing time. 

And while I'd like to share the view that Trumbo will be gone, I think he's around (and therefore no Alvarez) into next season, until a strong desire to use his roster spot gets him moved, probably with little money saved, or released. 

4 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

What do you think about the O's going to openers next year? At lest for the spots behind Bundy, Cobb, and Cashner?

That will not happen under Buck nor will it happen under anyone I could see DD bringing in. I'm not fully on board with the opener concept as the Rays are still using someone behind the opener to eat some innings. I guess the thought is not starting takes some pressure off those arms and allows them to find their footing against the bottom of the order. As a development thing I don't hate the idea, but I don't see it happening nor do I think it's a shame that it won't.

4 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

That will not happen under Buck nor will it happen under anyone I could see DD bringing in. I'm not fully on board with the opener concept as the Rays are still using someone behind the opener to eat some innings. I guess the thought is not starting takes some pressure off those arms and allows them to find their footing against the bottom of the order. As a development thing I don't hate the idea, but I don't see it happening nor do I think it's a shame that it won't.

It would have made a lot more sense in 2015 or 2016 when our starters were terrible and the bullpen was lights out. We actually have two good starters and one who should be good, but the bullpen is terrible.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

How can he prove if he's up to i if he doesn't play? You can't evaluate him if you don't give him a big enough sample size. Sisco should start the season as their catcher and stay in the lineup until the all-star break. If he's still struggling after 1/2 a season playing regularly then you re-evaluate. There's no intelligent argument for playing Joseph on this team unless it's for how he handles the young pitchers. 

I agree.  Forget this year, and make next year Sisco's audition (sitting him against some LHers) and time to learn more from Russell if he's back and Caleb  -- unless there's a consensus that Chance isn't ready and more time at AAA will help get him ready, which seems unlikely.

29 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Agree on Beckham.

.893 OPS since the all star break.   He’s only played in 55 games this year, and Buck suggested he was playing hurt before he went on the DL.   So, I’d like to see how he does over the remaining 53 games before thinking too hard about whether he’s a non-tender candidate.   

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Next ST we'll have in camp: OF-Mullins Diaz, Stewart, Hays, Yaz, Mancini, Hoes, IF-Davis, Villar, Wilkerson, Beckham, Valera, Mountcastle, Dosch,  Nunez, Bannon C- Caleb, Wynns, Sisco, Susac, Cumberland, Perez, DH- Trumbo, Alvarez,  I'm sure there will be others, but these are the prime suspects. Assuming no trades, what's your starting 9 and bench, OD? Here's mine:

1B Davis

2B Villar

SS Beckham

3B Wilkerson, 

LF Mancini

CF Mullins

RF Diaz

C Caleb

DH Trumbo

Bench

BuC Wynns

UTIF Valera

4th OF Hays

DH/3B Mountcastle

I believe the young guys will not be up to be bench players on a poor team.  But I like the aggressiveness.  I do think the AJ will be gone as well.  But the line up above highlights one piece that cannot wait.  Trumbo has to go.  They cannot juggle to OF who need to play and the hitters that need to hit if another year of Trumbo/Davis are set 4/5 in the lineup.  

Davis is gonna get a good chunk of next year to find a way to be valuable.  But I cant see making room for both.

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Sisco can prove it by hitting up a storm in Norfolk and improving his work behind the plate. Caleb is still the best catcher in the system, sadly.

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I believe the young guys will not be up to be bench players on a poor team.  But I like the aggressiveness.  I do think the AJ will be gone as well.  But the line up above highlights one piece that cannot wait.  Trumbo has to go.  They cannot juggle to OF who need to play and the hitters that need to hit if another year of Trumbo/Davis are set 4/5 in the lineup.  

Davis is gonna get a good chunk of next year to find a way to be valuable.  But I cant see making room for both.

I think they'll try to move Trumbo in the offseason and eat some of the money to do it, but I'm not sure they'll find any taker. If not, I'd imagine he's on the team for the first half and they try and trade him to a contender (if one needs a power bat) midseason. I don't think they release him to free the roster spot until they've exhausted all options to move him (both in the offseason and at next year's deadline). Honestly, as long as he's not on the team in the second half next year, I don't think it's too terrible. Mancini will be in the OF until Trumbo moves. Then he shares 1B and DH with Davis. I can see Stewart and Mullins up to start 2019, but cannot see Diaz or Hays at this point.

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He is an absolutely terrible fielder, especially at 3B. The last thing we need is another Trumbo type in RF. He would be a slight upgrade over Valencia only in that he is lefty.

He is not anywhere close to Trumbo.  He had a positive 1.9 D war in 2015 then 0 in 2016.  He had a negative .5 last year but that was because they put in in center for 20 games and he is not a CF.    He is positive war on defense if you take out CF at .1 for his career.  .

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

.893 OPS since the all star break.   He’s only played in 55 games this year, and Buck suggested he was playing hurt before he went on the DL.   So, I’d like to see how he does over the remaining 53 games before thinking too hard about whether he’s a non-tender candidate.   

Still fairly cheap at 3,35 M.. Best SS in the organization so far.

For opening day:

C Sisco

1B Davis

2B Villar

SS Beckham

3B Nunez

LF Mancini

CF Mullins

RF stop gap FA (hopefully replaced midseason by Diaz)

DH Trumbo (hopefully replaced midseason by Mancini or Stewart)

Bench:

Wynns, Rickard, Peterson/Valera, FA Valencia-esque player

Yes, that team would be awful and probably get a top 3 pick, which is fine.

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wasn't thinking too hard about it. If his fielding improves he might be worth the $4+ million he'll get in arbitration. 

Archived