2019+ Positional Review Series: Relievers

Thato'sfan

Shout out to @Greg Pappas for starting this series

MLB:

• Cody Carroll RHP 6-5 215 lbs Age: 25-293d Will have 3 options left
  • Paul Fry LHP 6-0 190 lbs Age: 26-009d Will have 3 options left
  • Miguel Castro RHP 6-7 205 lbs Age: 23-223d Has 1 option left(a 4th due to some weird minor league service time thing)
  • Mychal Givens RHP 6-0 200 lbs Age: 28-083d Has 2 options left
  • Donnie Hart LHP 5-11 180 lbs Age: 27-332d No options for 2019
  • Evan Phillips RHP 6-2 215 lbs Age: 23-327d Will have 2 options left
  • Tanner Scott LHP 6-2 220 lbs Age: 24-013d Has 2 options left
  • Mike Wright Jr. RHP 6-6 215 lbs Age: 28-213d No options left
  • Pedro Araujo RHP 6-3 215 lbs Age 24-272d Will be with team unless he gets his rule 5 service by the start of 2019, Has 3 options left
  • Richard Bleier LHP 6-3 215 lbs Age: 31-110d One option left

Minors:

The Orioles have a really nice crop of controllable relievers coming up through the farm. There is no reason to spend any money on free agent relief pitchers. Though  there are a few guys who sit in the low 90s, many of these guys sit mid 90s and can hit 96+. There is a nice variety of lefties and righties. These are only notable guys between MLB, AA, and AAA, but there plenty of intriguing reliever arms below AA who could be on this list next year. In addition, it is extremely likely that some of the talented starters on the farm will wind up transitioning to the bullpen(guys like Tate, Dietz, Kremer, Hess, Ramirez, Harvey, Ortiz, Peluffo, etc. have potential to become impact relievers). Pitching and the outfield have become the deepest areas in the farm.

We have a chance of growing some solid relievers which could then be flipped for younger starting pitching or positional prospects. Alternatively, we can create a young controllable bullpen for the next contending team. The organization has a good eye for relievers and each draft(and now int'l signing period?) will continue the development of a steady pipeline of high to mid  ceiling relievers.

2019+ Positional Review Series: Catcher
2019+ Positional Review Series: 1B/DH
2019+ Positional Review Series: 2B
2019+ Positional Review Series: SS
2019+ Positional Review Series: 3B
2019+ Positional Review Series: Outfielders / Nice write-ups from @Legend_Of_Joey 
2019+ Positional Review Series: Starters
2019+ Positional Review Series: Relievers

I think Araujo opens with the team if he hasn't finished his rule 5 service time. I actually like his chances of being effective and breaking out next year.

Mychal Givens, Castro, Tanner Scott, Cody Carroll, Richard Bleier are all locks. Branden Kline and Luis Gonzalez will probably see some time this season; they both have a shot of becoming staples. Meisinger and Yacabonis are likely to compete for a spot; Meisinger has performed everywhere and looked good out of the 'pen. I like Meisinger's chances. Zach Pop and Muckenhirn might be ready by mid-2019. Fry has looked liked a nugget, great makeup and sneaky good fastball. Chleborad, Ysla, Flaa look like shuttle guys. Hart and Wright should be released IMO. 

My prediction is that they open with an 8-man bullpen:

Long reliever: Miguel Castro

Long reliever: Richard Bleier

Middle Relief: Paul Fry

Middle Relief: Tanner Scott

Middle Relief: Ryan Meisinger

Middle Relief: Luis Gonzalez

Set up: Carroll

Closer: Givens

Any trades, struggles, or injuries, Kline is the first man up. If Givens is traded prior to the season, closer would likely be Scott/Carroll due to having the stuff and upside of big league closers.

The rotation will be:

Dylan Bundy(Might be traded)

Alex Cobb

Andrew Cashner(will be traded at deadline as some of the AA and AAA guys push for a chance)

Yefry Ramirez

Keegan Akin/Luis Ortiz/David Hess/John Means/Josh Rogers/Dillon Tate

Of course, their will be a lot of shuttling and roster manipulation so that everyone will at least get a shot.

13 minutes ago, Richmond Bird 9 said:

You are doing great work.

One thing I would like to see next to their names would be if going into 2019 the player is out of options.  This would/could help who makes the team and or is winter trade bait.

Thx again

Going to add to the OP right now. thanks for the suggestion!

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

@Thato'sfan I'm not familiar with Chleborad or Ysla.  Can you fill me in a bit regarding their talents?

Both are fringe relievers. Most likely just org guys. I like Ysla more than Chleborad. He is a lefty, touches 95 with some arm side run. Ysla has a fringe cutter and below average breaking ball. Chleborad is low 90s righty with a low three quarters arm slot. Relies heavily on deception, average command.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived