Bucks recent comments

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

While I agree with you on his bad decisions, I think it's unfair to omit the countless brilliant coaching decisions he's made during his time here.  And as for Manny to SS, I assumed that was a direction from the front office to hopefully increase his trade value.  Everyone knew what he could do at third, show he's good at short, too.  Didn't really work out, but it could have been more damaging to move him back than to play up the narrative of the learning curve to get back to his level of defense.

All that said, I do think it's time to move on from Buck.

Buck fills out the lineup card. He has enough pull where, if he didn't agree he could have put his foot down. Also, I wasn't trying to discount his positive contributions...just make the point that his time has run it's course. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Buck fills out the lineup card. He has enough pull where, if he didn't agree he could have put his foot down. Also, I wasn't trying to discount his positive contributions...just make the point that his time has run it's course. 

Maybe.  But he could have actually agreed with the move.  I don't think anyone really thought we'd contend this year, so putting Manny at short, if it's in the best long-term interest, I don't see why Buck would have put his foot down on not doing it.

2 minutes ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

Maybe.  But he could have actually agreed with the move.  I don't think anyone really thought we'd contend this year, so putting Manny at short, if it's in the best long-term interest, I don't see why Buck would have put his foot down on not doing it.

You don't sign Cashner and especially Cobb if you don't think you can contend.

2 minutes ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

...because they would have been a better team with Manny at 3B. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You don't sign Cashner and especially Cobb if you don't think you can contend.

You don't sign Rasmus if you think you can.  But seriously, you're right, but those were also not moves that made them actual contenders.  This past offseason had no direction.  My only point was moving Manny to short from third, while, yes, makes the team worse, could have been an order from the front office to make him more marketable.

Lots of fun speculation and discussion in the thread. One comment that I really liked was the no direction this offseason. Signing Cobb and Cashner says one thing, trying to squeeze three rule 5 picks onto the roster says another. So schizophrenic. 

But I'm on the replace DD and Buck bandwagon. This thing stinks so bad that everyone who contributed to the cesspool has to go. 

17 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

As mentioned in another thread — Beckham’s play at SS so far is making Buck’s decision to use Manny there instead look pretty good.    

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As mentioned in another thread — Beckham’s play at SS so far is making Buck’s decision to use Manny there instead look pretty good.    

Beckham really shouldn't be playing in the field at all. Moving Manny off 3B was a stupid decision. Whether he was bullied into making it, we'll never no. But I have a hard time believing that Buck has ever been strong armed / bullied into doing anything. 

18 hours ago, Smilin' Joe Fission said:

While I agree with you on his bad decisions, I think it's unfair to omit the countless brilliant coaching decisions he's made during his time here.  And as for Manny to SS, I assumed that was a direction from the front office to hopefully increase his trade value.  Everyone knew what he could do at third, show he's good at short, too.  Didn't really work out, but it could have been more damaging to move him back than to play up the narrative of the learning curve to get back to his level of defense.

All that said, I do think it's time to move on from Buck.

I don't buy that at all. They were fully committed to winning now going into the season. Manny playing 3B gave them the best opportunity to do that. Maybe Manny (or his agent) pressured them into moving him to SS, but they really had no leverage.  And if Buck didn't think Beckham could handle SS he should have pushed for them to sign one. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Beckham really shouldn't be playing in the field at all. Moving Manny off 3B was a stupid decision. Whether he was bullied into making it, we'll never no. But I have a hard time believing that Buck has ever been strong armed / bullied into doing anything. 

I agree it seems very unlikely that the decision to move Manny to SS was dictated by the front office.    To me, Buck is accountable for that decision, good or bad.   

For the record, I was against it, but mainly because Beckham’s under control for two more years after this one and I felt we should use 2018 to find out if he could handle being the starting SS.    Obviously he hasn’t played well there since Manny got traded, but I would rather have spent spring training working with him on the nuances there rather than distracting him with learning a new position and then moving him back after the ASB.     

As it stands now, I think we’ll need to hunt for a new SS in the offseason.   

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How can you possibly have back to back last place finishes with the second being a franchise worst and extend the Manager and GM?

It is called the "Oriole Way." Don't you remember that we won the most games over a 5 year period, why those foolish Astros tanked and the Yanks traded for young guys? 

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

It is called the "Oriole Way." Don't you remember that we won the most games over a 5 year period, why those foolish Astros tanked and the Yanks traded for young guys? 

Are you still going to be referencing that five year a period a decade from now?

It's over.

Archived