To Mountcastle or to not Mountcastle...

wildcard

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

Thanks for the reply Luke, that makes sense.  Do you think based on what you have seen that his skillset would play better at second than third?

I’ve always thought it was worth trying him at 2B. I was surprised when they moved him to 3B. He’s not going to be an average defender at any infield position except 1B though. I always thought he was good around the bag at SS, but he lacked the range and the arm for SS.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

So do you think they will trade Villar over the off season?

.I don't see why they would.  They don't have any second baseman coming through the pipeline (except Bannon?) and Villar should still be relatively cheap and is controllable.  I don't love Villar and Beckham up the middle for a combined ~$10-12M (more. because of Beckham than JV), but I'd roll the dice with them for another year.

53 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. I haven't seen a whole lot of Mountcastle but I keep hearing he is athletic with range but a questionable arm.  Any insight on what the hesitation to try him at 2nd is?

He's big. But. He probably could do it. 

2 hours ago, Yardball85 said:

.I don't see why they would.  They don't have any second baseman coming through the pipeline (except Bannon?) and Villar should still be relatively cheap and is controllable.  I don't love Villar and Beckham up the middle for a combined ~$10-12M (more. because of Beckham than JV), but I'd roll the dice with them for another year.

I don't think the  O's tender Beckham a contract.   I think we have to see more on\f Villar.  So far, so good.

I will get a chance to see Mountcastle two more games next week. I will let you know what I see.  So far I've seen a guy who can field the ball cleanly but has trouble getting the ball to first in time for the out.  I asked if they were working with him and was told that they are, but that you can't teach arm strength.  I would like nothing better than to see an improved arm.  The bat will play... the ball jumps off of it.  Glove is fine.  If the arm could improve, I would feel a lot better about his future in baltimore. 

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Who do they have to replace him at SS?

Probably Villar.   With Wilkerson or Valera playing 2B. I doubt the O's spend much to bring in a SS from FA.

O's will probably put Givens, Cobb, Cashner and Trumbo on the trade market this winter to see what they can get back.   They may find a SS there.

4 hours ago, weams said:

Heavier weight like the close grip bench press mentioned in that article are not good for increasing arm strength for throwing. 

This is program is the best program that I’ve ever come across for strengthening and for arm health. 

https://www.jaegersports.com/jaeger-sports-arm-strength-and-conditioning/

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to see players get AAA experience before getting called up unless it’s urgent that we get them to the majors.    And it’s not urgent.

I'll just call you on the mark. Just like when they rushed up Hays last year for no good reason, there is no reason to jump a kid from AA unless there is a specific need. I like what Mountcastle is doing with the bat and he's probably at this point the top prospect in the system, but he still has defensive issues to work on and I'd honestly send him to the AFL vs the big leagues.

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll just call you on the mark. Just like when they rushed up Hays last year for no good reason, there is no reason to jump a kid from AA unless there is a specific need. I like what Mountcastle is doing with the bat and he's probably at this point the top prospect in the system, but he still has defensive issues to work on and I'd honestly send him to the AFL vs the big leagues.

There’s even less of a reason with Mountcastle than with Hays, given how deep in the cellar we are buried.   

• 8 months later...

Archived