Dan to Roch: Possible September Call Ups

weams

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/14/2018 at 2:36 PM, weams said:

People think he is a DH like Mancini. 

How many guys go from being a Shortstop in high A to being a DH only in the Majors as a rookie?  If the Orioles thought he had a future at Shortstop he can't really be that terrible of a fielder that he can't play first base in the majors could he be?  

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Beckham is cheap.

How many cheaper FAs at SS, are there really?

He makes 3.5 million this year and will probably get some sort of raise in arbitration.  You can get guys for the major league minimum.  Just get a guy who can field but who can't hit and we would be better off.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

He makes 3.5 million this year and will probably get some sort of raise in arbitration.  You can get guys for the major league minimum.  Just get a guy who can field but who can't hit and we would be better off.  

We tried that, back in 2008 or 2009, cant remember.

We ran 5 guys out there at SS, everyone worse than Beckham.

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

How many guys go from being a Shortstop in high A to being a DH only in the Majors as a rookie?  If the Orioles thought he had a future at Shortstop he can't really be that terrible of a fielder that he can't play first base in the majors could he be?  

Of course not. Folks are all concerned that he has an arm like Hiura and he does not. Can he play second base? I guess so. Can he play lefty or right? Absolutely. Does he have a cannon for right? No way.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I remember those days., A Major League starting shortstop is not something that grows on trees.  

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Mountcastle certainly could play LF or 1B.   Maybe 2B.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I remember those days., A Major League starting shortstop is not something that grows on trees.  

César Izturis has 2.0 Defensive WAR in 2009 and 1.3 WAR overall.  Beckham has only reached that amount of WAR once in his career.  I think you guys are over-rating Beckham. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I will gladly admit Beckham is not a starting SS on a playoff team.

This is clearly not, and wont be in 2019.

So if he can be had cheap, and he is known to them and not a druggie or clubhouse cancer, then so be it.

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

César Izturis has 2.0 Defensive WAR in 2009 and 1.3 WAR overall.  Beckham has only reached that amount of WAR once in his career.  I think you guys are over-rating Beckham. 

Izturis was a joy to watch defensively.    His hitting was tolerable in 2009 (.622 OPS), but Davisian (.545) in 2010.

Izturis had 6.4 rWAR in his career, Beckham is at 4.7 in his age 28 season.    I think Beckham’s career could go either way.    He could be out of baseball in two years, or he could have a decent career that surpasses Izturis by a substantial margin.    I definitely think he’s capable of playing better than he has this year.   The early injury and position change impacted his season pretty heavily.    But he’s never going to be the steadiest of players.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If we have to attach O’day’s $9 million 2019 salary to Gausman, then why should we be paying $4-5 million for Beckham in 2019????  

That would be some serious mixed messages from the front office. 

I say roll with Breyvic Valera and a vet. 

You aare also not factoring Gausman's salary. But yeah. You are probably right. 

Archived