Brady Anderson's feat has been equaled

SteveA

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, joelala said:

Yea Soto is unreal too.  Exciting times for Baseball. And Vladdy Jr. and Eloy Jimenez are two more kids who are knocking down the door.  Maybe the Orioles will draft someone really good this year and we can have a little piece of the pie.

I would hope so.

5 hours ago, bobmc said:

How so?  No fences right or at least huge outfields?  I am surprised more guys haven't done it actually.  I'm not discounting the feat, however.

It was the Deadball Era.  Home Runs were rare. Heck, runs were rare.

And yes, many places then had huge outfields. some with bizarre shapes.  Most triples records come from that era.

9 hours ago, joelala said:

Schweet, thanks.

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Trout is like, kind of on pace to be the greatest player ever, isn't he?

He is a great player. Personally I think Ruth was the greatest player of all time. 

8 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

One great season and two really good seasons. It does look like he’s over hyped. I don’t think he’s the player that sports media seems to think he is. 

I don't know. There is no one living that saw him play. Kind of hard to judge players from that era. IMO 

11 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It was the Deadball Era.  Home Runs were rare. Heck, runs were rare.

And yes, many places then had huge outfields. some with bizarre shapes.  Most triples records come from that era.

Like the original polo grounds

One of the oddest features at the Polo Grounds were the deep dimensions in straight away center field. The wall was so far away from home plate, at 483 feet (147 m), that few players ever hit home runs over it. Before its 1923 reconstruction, only Babe Ruth ever reached the centerfield stands; after 1923 only four players would reach the distant centerfield bleachers. The entire 60-foot (18 m) wall in dead center field was considered in play, as were the clubhouse windows on the in-play side of the wall. The ground rules of the Polo Grounds were set up so that if a ball went through an open window in the clubhouse, it was a ground rule double, rather than a home run. Since no ball ever reached that area in the life of the stadium, that rule was never tested.

polotop.jpg

8 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Like the original polo grounds

polotop.jpg

I saw many a game there (not the original PG though) in my youth and also the football Giants.  It was truly cavernous! A family friend was a season ticket holder and grabbed a Section marker on the last day for the NY Giants in '57.  I had it in my closet but somehow misplaced it - years ago.  Dang!  ⚾

Dj15SiwW0AITwBv.jpg

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You need to play 3 CFs to just roam the outfield terrorities. :)

Can you image, Trumbo, Cruz or Mancini in that type of OF? LOL

Yeah not good.  We had Mays, HOF'er Monte Irvin, who could cover ground, but also Don Mueller, "Dusty" Rhodes and Bobby Thomson (among others) who weren't so swift.

Dj15SiwW0AITwBv.jpg

1 minute ago, bobmc said:

Yeah not good.  We had Mays, HOF'er Monte Irvin, who could cover ground, but also Don Mueller, "Dusty" Rhodes and Bobby Thomson (among others) who weren't so swift.

Dj15SiwW0AITwBv.jpg

My grandfather lived in Oakland, but was a huge Willie Mays fan, and talks about how he was a better ball player than even Babe Ruth. Something the WAR prove otherwise.

Those WARs they produced were unreal.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

My grandfather lived in Oakland, but was a huge Willie Mays fan, and talks about how he was a better ball player than even Babe Ruth. Something the WAR prove otherwise.

Those WARs they produced were unreal.

Willie was my idol growing up - loved the way he played the game - one of the first to show emotion and flair as he chased down fly balls and ran out (yes ran out) hits!  His cap flew off, he made basket catches and his hook slides into bases were dream worthy!  I would disagree with @Tx Oriole that Ruth was greatest, even though he never saw him play.  I saw Mays play.  WAR?  What is that - absolutely nothing!  (Edwin Starr)

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Willie was my idol growing up - loved the way he played the game - one of the first to show emotion and flair as he chased down fly balls and ran out (yes ran out) hits!  His cap flew off, he made basket catches and his hook slides into bases were dream worthy!  I would disagree with @Tx Oriole that Ruth was greatest, even though he never saw him play.  I saw Mays play.  WAR?  What is that - absolutely nothing!  (Edwin Starr)

There is a play that Mays is supposed to have made, that might be an urban legend. Catch at the deep park of CF and fires a strike to home plate, no bounce and gets an speedy runner out.

Archived