Local Media v. National Media-- Scooping the Orioles

Greg Pappas

It seems odd to me that throughout the trade deadline, local media members, like Roch and even Ghiroli, were usually not at the forefront of the trades that took place. I know Ghiroli works for MLB, but she's the head O's writer for them, and neither she nor Roch seems to get the scoop on O's-related news. I can't say it's a certainty as I haven't always been on Twitter to catch every story, but it sure feels like Rosenthal and others national writers tweet well before either of them, or any other local writers.  Does anyone else get this impression? It's not that this is a big deal, it's just a curiosity to me.

FWIW I meant to post this on August 1st, but I was too angry about our trades to remember... and here, out of nowhere, it just struck me. LOL!

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

It seems odd to me that throughout the trade deadline, local media members, like Roch and even Ghiroli, were usually not at the forefront of the trades that took place. I know Ghiroli works for MLB, but she's the head O's writer for them, and neither she nor Roch seems to get the scoop on O's-related news. I can't say it's a certainty as I haven't always been on Twitter to catch every story, but it sure feels like Rosenthal and others national writers tweet well before either of them, or any other local writers.  Does anyone else get this impression?

Roch posts what his bosses want him to post when they want him to post it.

They don't need to let him break stories, he's literally in their pocket.

3 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

I get that's not really the job of MASN, as they're most vested in promoting the team, but what about the Baltimore Sun?

There are two writers there. And neither of them spends much time on that. Today's Sun is not the Sun of history.

There is a simple answer to this.  Almost all of the National guys came through Baltimore and still have strong ties here.  Rosenthal, Olney, and Kurkjian all worked in Baltimore. Those deep ties plus the ties they have with other teams and agents based on being national guys gives them an advantage. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

There is a simple answer to this.  Almost all of the National guys came through Baltimore and still have strong ties here.  Rosenthal, Olney, and Kurkjian all worked in Baltimore. Those deep ties plus the ties they have with other teams and agents based on being national guys gives them an advantage. 

It's amazing when you think about it - just how many of them have ties to Baltimore

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

51 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

It's amazing when you think about it - just how many of them have ties to Baltimore

Not just "have ties," they were featured baseball reporters who worked at The Sun.

You can add Richard Justice to that list of former Sun baseball writers. It's an impressive list.

Archived