Forbes: How do the Orioles bounce back from 108 loses?

Roll Tide

Baltimore must find the right mix of signing free agents who can make an impact -- not players on the back ends of their careers who come cheap, which has been the team's style the last few years -- while developing an effective farm system which will feed them players on a regular basis. How long will all of this take?

That's a question that nobody can answer.

But the Orioles have to go at this with gusto. Now, the bad part is just about over. It certainly can't get any worse (can it?) Baltimore must find that mix of good moves to bring in good players while developing younger athletes to be effective at the major-league level. Mullins has been developed throughout the minor league system and walked right into the center fielder's job earlier this month and has simply thrived there.

This needs to be the rule rather than the exception.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffseidel/2018/09/20/how-do-the-orioles-bounce-back-from-108-losses/#422d6aa3a345

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

The clipped part of the article is basically tautological.  It says the way to be good again is to do good things.

The fact is there are a hundred paths back to competitiveness, the Orioles need to find leadership that can recognize an identity for the franchise.  They need to maximize what they are good at which over the past few years has been the development of relief pitchers, develop new strengths, and use those to cover for obvious weaknesses.  The Orioles dont need to be the best at everything, they dont have the financial resources to do it.  And they arent going to take what many might call the worst starting pitcher development in the league and make it the best, at least not overnight.  But if they can do some things really well, they can incrementally build back to being competitive.

While I agree that Mullins has been a nice addition and appeared to be ready to step in, he's not the type of guy that's going to help turn your franchise around.

We need one or two superstars coming out of the next couple of drafts.  We also need to develop the talent we draft over the next couple of seasons.   We will have high picks and really need to nail these.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffseidel/2018/09/20/how-do-the-orioles-bounce-back-from-108-losses/#422d6aa3a345

Baltimore must find the right mix of signing free agents who can make an impact -- not players on the back ends of their careers who come cheap, which has been the team's style the last few years -- while developing an effective farm system which will feed them players on a regular basis.

Mullins has been developed throughout the minor league system and walked right into the center fielder's job earlier this month and has simply thrived there.

The first paragraph is absolutely correct. To expand, it must be balanced between player development and coaching at all levels, scouting and and stronger presence throughout the international market and the occasional free agent signing to augment the roster.

I’m still out on Mullins. Im not sure CF is his position in the future.

29 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

The first paragraph is absolutely correct. To expand, it must be balanced between player development and coaching at all levels, scouting and and stronger presence throughout the international market and the occasional free agent signing to augment the roster.

I’m still out on Mullins. Im not sure CF is his position in the future.

Agree with you here.   I think he's a better fit in LF, but I'm willing to give him the CF job next year and see if he improves.

6 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Agree with you here.   I think he's a better fit in LF, but I'm willing to give him the CF job next year and see if he improves.

Bordick salivating over a throw that almost made it to 2nd base from the warning track was embarrassing. Mullins in left appears to be the play, I agree. 

8 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Bordick salivating over a throw that almost made it to 2nd base from the warning track was embarrassing. Mullins in left appears to be the play, I agree. 

Our best defensive option for CF would have to be Ryan Mckenna(faster, stronger arm, still learning routes)

Even if Mckenna doesn't pan out, an outfield with Diaz and Hays in the corners and Mullins in center still sounds good to me. 

Or perhaps the best course of action for the future is to shift Mullins to left late in games and have a defensive switch in center.

23 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Our best defensive option for CF would have to be Ryan Mckenna(faster, stronger arm, still learning routes)

Even if Mckenna doesn't pan out, an outfield with Diaz and Hays in the corners and Mullins in center still sounds good to me. 

Or perhaps the best course of action for the future is to shift Mullins to left late in games and have a defensive switch in center.

Prioritizing defense can only make our pitchers better and enhance their value. FIP can’t measure what a guy does after a great defensive play gets him back to the dugout, not even xFIP can measure that, probably not even iterations of FIP I’ve never even heard of. 

Archived