Update: Tim Beckham and Caleb Joseph Non-tendered

Frobby

Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Would you non-tender Tim Beckham?

Simple yes or no poll.    I’ve seen several posts treating this like a fait accompli, but I’m not so sure.   It’s been a poor season for him but you have to take into account that he was first asked to play a position he’d rarely played before, had an abdominal injury that probably hampered him even before he went on the DL to have surgery and was out for two months, and then shortly after returning was moved back to SS.     My guess is he’d make $5 mm next year, but maybe he’d make a little less.    It might be worth it to see if he can recapture his pretty solid 2017 numbers.

On the other hand, it just looks like he’s never going to be a steady player.    He’s got tools but he’s erratic on both offense and defense.     Maybe that’s just too much to take.   

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd non tender just because I think it is critical at this stage of the re-build to to go with as many plus defenders as we can get ahold of just to help the development of a young pitching staff.

I'm done with watching below average defenders, SS is too important a place to have a hack

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Simple yes or no poll.    I’ve seen several posts treating this like a fait accompli, but I’m not so sure.   It’s been a poor season for him but you have to take into account that he was first asked to play a position he’d rarely played before, had an abdominal injury that probably hampered him even before he went on the DL to have surgery and was out for two months, and then shortly after returning was moved back to SS.     My guess is he’d make $5 mm next year, but maybe he’d make a little less.    It might be worth it to see if he can recapture his pretty solid 2017 numbers.

On the other hand, it just looks like he’s never going to be a steady player.    He’s got tools but he’s erratic on both offense and defense.     Maybe that’s just too much to take.   

No, just because I like him and I'd love to see him play. 

I guess the issue is, if not him @ ~$5M, then who and at what price?  If they could sign or otherwise acquire an all-glove, no-hit guy to fill the spot, for say, <$3M, then I think it's worth it to non-tender him.  But if not, they might as well stick with him and worry about filling other holes with cheap, somewhat respectable options where they don't have a prospect read to play.

Just now, esmd said:

I guess the issue is, if not him @ ~$5M, then who and at what price?  If they could sign or otherwise acquire an all-glove, no-hit guy to fill the spot, for say, <$3M, then I think it's worth it to non-tender him.  But if not, they might as well stick with him and worry about filling other holes with cheap, somewhat respectable options where they don't have a prospect read to play.

Anyone that the Orioles do  sign over this offseason is going to be someone extremely inexpensive, or someone that can be flipped for prospects in June. Not even July. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Anyone that the Orioles do  sign over this offseason is going to be someone extremely inexpensive, or someone that can be flipped for prospects in June. Not even July. 

That's kinda what I was saying.

I just can't see the Orioles giving $5 million to a guy who should not be an everyday big leaguer. Basically you are paying $5 million to have Beckam in the lineup over Wilkerson.

He's a bad defender wherever you put him, but the worse part is his baseball awareness is awful and has never improved. I don't think this is the kind of guy you want your young players watch play everyday. 

The Beckam ship has arrived, found to be wanting, and should be set along its way.

I'm fine with Villar at shortstop next year on a rebuilding team.

14 minutes ago, esmd said:

Villar at shortstop and Wilkerson at 2B. Valera and probably a cheap AAAA option as AAA starter would be backups.

I would rather give a chance to Wilkerson, Valera, or bring back Flaherty or someone similar.  The O's could just try to find an all glove no hit SS.  I don't know any specific names, but the O's could probably get someone like that for $1 mill/1 year deal.  I think a SS w/ a plus glove and a .600 OPS would be more valuable than Beckham.  Beckham would be lucky to get $2 mill if he was a free agent.  This sounds like a no brainer to get rid of a player who isn't helping the team.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather give a chance to Wilkerson, Valera, or bring back Flaherty or someone similar.  The O's could just try to find an all glove no hit SS.  I don't know any specific names, but the O's could probably get someone like that for $1 mill/1 year deal.  I think a SS w/ a plus glove and a .600 OPS would be more valuable than Beckham.  Beckham would be lucky to get $2 mill if he was a free agent.  This sounds like a no brainer to get rid of a player who isn't helping the team.

It is a no-brainer. I'm literally shocked that the poll is even at this point. The only way Beckam is brought back is if Duquette made the Beckam-Myers trade and trying to save face hoping that Beckam suddenly breaks out. Other than that, for a team that either has to eat or watch awful players like Davis and Trumbo take up $35+ million next year, I can't imagine them flushing $5 more million down for a player that is not part of a winning future here in the future and doesn't bring the kind of leadership you need around the young players (guys who actually play the game right).

I would tender him a contract only  if Villar was traded this winter. Since the all star break he has had an ops of .750

that is a decent bat with defensive versatility(albeit lackluster instincts)

If we can get a low a ball lotto ticket for him next summer or this winter, tendering him a contract would be wise.

Archived