Would you non-tender Dylan Bundy?

webbrick2010

6 hours ago, SteveA said:

I believe Stephen Tarpley has looked good for the Yankees as a September callup, too.

Tarpley is an interesting case, he went to the Pirates, then to the Yankees, once there, he completely changed how he pitched. Ditching his 95-96mph 4S for a nasty 2S that was a few ticks slower despite pitching shorter outings. Turned into an extreme GB pitcher, much more effective.

He was on my Rule 5 pref list last off-season and was available for any team to grab in the Rule 5 draft. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

I would certainly non-tender him and try to sign him back on a 1 year deal in the 2 million dollar range

I’ll play along. It’s been a boring season and that doesn’t look to change in the offseason. 

If Bundy were on the open market right now what deal would he get?  I’d say he’d get at least a  3/30 deal, even with the jacked up shoulder. 

People want to chalk Bundy up as poor development, nah... he had TJ and then google the quotes about what his shoulder is like. 

For Bundy being so young, he actually has some “craftiness” to his game. That’s development. Whether it’s from the coaches or Bundy. 

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ll play along. It’s been a boring season and that doesn’t look to change in the offseason. 

If Bundy were on the open market right now what deal would he get?  I’d say he’d get at least a  3/30 deal, even with the jacked up shoulder. 

People want to chalk Bundy up as poor development, nah... he had TJ and then google the quotes about what his shoulder is like. 

For Bundy being so young, he actually has some “craftiness” to his game. That’s development. Whether it’s from the coaches or Bundy. 

Bundy would be under team control through the 2021 season. I doubt any team would commit past a one year deal.

6 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Tarpley is an interesting case, he went to the Pirates, then to the Yankees, once there, he completely changed how he pitched. Ditching his 95-96mph 4S for a nasty 2S that was a few ticks slower despite pitching shorter outings. Turned into an extreme GB pitcher, much more effective.

He was on my Rule 5 pref list last off-season and was available for any team to grab in the Rule 5 draft. 

I don’t think we would have made those adjustments. We need to bring in a vet coach that has  good pitching coach ties. Basically we need Wallace and Chiti types. If DD is fully running the show then he needs to go for that. 

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think we would have made those adjustments. We need to bring in a vet coach that has  good pitching coach ties. Basically we need Wallace and Chiti types. If DD is fully running the show then he needs to go for that. 

Actually that may be the one adjustment they would have made if he made it to the high minors with the O's. McDowell is a big Sinker ball coach, a bunch of Orioles have added or attempted to add a sinker/2S. It's what they were doing with Tate after he was acquired. 

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So if a dozen teams are interested in him his agent won't be able to leverage that into a multi year deal?  His agent needs to be fired.

It may take a multi-year deal, but I don't think a team would offer that as their opening position. That's all. 

Edit: I do think your scenario is much more likely than Bundy forgoing arbitration and signing with the Orioles for $2M. 

14 hours ago, weams said:

Pitchers pitch better in the National League. They have pitchers that try to hit and defensive first catchers. It's just math and science. Not an excuse. It happens to all AL teams. Other than the ones that play in Coliseums. 

But it’s not as drastic as you make it out to be.   The AL is averaging 4.51 runs/game, the NL 4.38.    And the NL beat the AL in interleague play this year, so you can’t say there’s a big talent gap.    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But it’s not as drastic as you make it out to be.   The AL is averaging 4.51 runs/game, the NL 4.38.    And the NL beat the AL in interleague play this year, so you can’t say there’s a big talent gap.    

I thought the old store thought was, NL pitchers usually do a bit worse when coming to the AL and AL pitchers usually fare better when going to the NL.

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought the old store thought was, NL pitchers usually do a bit worse when coming to the AL and AL pitchers usually fare better when going to the NL.

There are three factors, one of which is a constant.

1.   The AL has the DH, the NL does not.   That obviously makes it easier to pitch in the NL.

2.   The stadiums they play in.    Those change over time, but gradually.   I can’t say whether AL or NL stadiums are more pitcher-friendly overall.

3.   Talent of the players.   For a long time, the AL was simply better, so pitchers fared better against NL batters than AL batters.   That gap has narrowed and perhaps evaporated in recent years.   

Bottom line, there’s no reason to expect AL pitchers to do drastically better in the NL these days.    

Just now, Frobby said:

There are three factors, one of which is a constant.

1.   The AL has the DH, the NL does not.   That obviously makes it easier to pitch in the NL.

2.   The stadiums they play in.    Those change over time, but gradually.   I can’t say whether AL or NL stadiums are more pitcher-friendly overall.

3.   Talent of the players.   For a long time, the AL was simply better, so pitchers fared better against NL batters than AL batters.   That gap has narrowed and perhaps evaporated in recent years.   

Bottom line, there’s no reason to expect AL pitchers to do drastically better in the NL these days.    

Thanks, makes sense.

On 9/25/2018 at 6:53 PM, weams said:

Pitchers pitch better in the National League. They have pitchers that try to hit and defensive first catchers. It's just math and science. Not an excuse. It happens to all AL teams. Other than the ones that play in Coliseums. 

The O's have Davis who hits about the same as an average pitcher, so that balances things out a bit.

Archived