Assume that Duquette stays...

Frobby

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@wildcard @big_sparxx I'm assuming the playoff teams he oversaw and the pieces he added to them don't do anything for you in terms of good will?  My, how quickly we forget.

@wildcard you've really got an axe to grind.  DD is the one GM who's built a winning club here under Angelos since Gillick was here.  He's the one GM that might not have prevented ownership from doing dumb stuff 100% but he found a way to make it work for years.

Checks the trophy cabinet for playoff medals... oh that's right.... they don't give out medals for that.

sigh.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ahhh, so you're one of those guys that's all like "Titles are the only things that matter, 2nd place is the first loser!"

I didn't know MLB had any medals.  

the point of building a contender is to win things isn't it? To show how good you are as a GM/M/organization?

how good were we? Or was it all some faded fantasy?

1983.... and counting. If you think it doesn't matter... ask the Cubs or Red Sox....or the MFY.

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think you are so far from realistic, its crazy.

Persuasively advise him?

And Rizzo persuasively advised the Lerners????

Haven't you heard?  Extremely rich people just love to be told what to do by their employees.  It's one of the primary things that distinguish them from the other classes.

Just now, big_sparxx said:

the point of building a contender is to win things isn't it? To show how good you are as a GM/M/organization?

how good were we? Or was it all some faded fantasy?

1983.... and counting. If you think it doesn't matter... ask the Cubs or Red Sox....or the MFY.

You're talking about building a contender.  The Orioles were a contender for a few years, not too long ago.  They made it to the playoffs and were the definition of a "contender."  I do remember a division title and I do remember winning a wildcard berth and winning a playoff series against the Tigers.  That is winning "things."  I suggest you stay on track with what your goals are.  First it sounds like titles, now you want a contender and to "win things."  The Orioles won "things" under DD.  A "contender" doesn't mean a WS winner.  So now you want to build a contender.  

That said, we were a lot closer than we were from '98 to '11.  As far as asking the Red Sox, we got the guy who's fingerprints were on the '04 Sox team.  I'm not saying DD is the best GM ever but man, some of you guys have a really selective memory.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You're talking about building a contender.  The Orioles were a contender for a few years, not too long ago.  They made it to the playoffs and were the definition of a "contender."  I do remember a division title and I do remember winning a wildcard berth and winning a playoff series against the Tigers.  That is winning "things."  I suggest you stay on track with what your goals are.  First it sounds like titles, now you want a contender and to "win things."  The Orioles won "things" under DD.  A "contender" doesn't mean a WS winner.  So now you want to build a contender.  

That said, we were a lot closer than we were from '98 to '11.  As far as asking the Red Sox, we got the guy who's fingerprints were on the '04 Sox team.  I'm not saying DD is the best GM ever but man, some of you guys have a really selective memory.

wow... you're happy with the team he's built now? From "contender" to...what would this be exactly

I get it. You want a participation medal. A thanks for playing medal. Like little league. You want to give him a shot because... we made a wild-card game 2 years ago? And we built on that success by... where did we finish last year? Who was to blame for that? Chris Davis? Who re-signed Davis again (if it's Angelos... then what the hell was Dan doing?)? That albatross... the one who won't fly? Yeah.... you're right. I've got a short memory. I remember what this season has been like... actually since the al-star break 2017... do you remember last August? Last September?? How's your short term memory? and why exactly we are in this position... you know... this supposed "contender" status? Great GM work? He made the important moves.... please.... explain it to me. 

Our beloved GM was in such demand when we hired him too. We outbid how many other teams to get him? 

Sorry dude but this is very much about ... what have you done for me lately? The past 15 months has been a nightmare. Managers have been fired for less. GM's would have been fired for less.

First to worst. Just remember that. Oh you brought up 98-11? Guess what we're looking at square in the face? If you think there's a magic beanstalk leading us to the goose that laid the golden egg, I suggest you take a good look around... 

5 minutes ago, big_sparxx said:

wow... you're happy with the team he's built now? From "contender" to...what would this be exactly

I get it. You want a participation medal. A thanks for playing medal. Like little league. You want to give him a shot because... we made a wild-card game 2 years ago? And we built on that success by... where did we finish last year? Who was to blame for that? Chris Davis? Who re-signed Davis again (if it's Angelos... then what the hell was Dan doing?)? That albatross... the one who won't fly? Yeah.... you're right. I've got a short memory. I remember what this season has been like... actually since the al-star break 2017... do you remember last August? Last September?? How's your short term memory? and why exactly we are in this position... you know... this supposed "contender" status? Great GM work? He made the important moves.... please.... explain it to me. 

Our beloved GM was in such demand when we hired him too. We outbid how many other teams to get him? 

Sorry dude but this is very much about ... what have you done for me lately? The past 15 months has been a nightmare. Managers have been fired for less. GM's would have been fired for less.

First to worst. Just remember that. Oh you brought up 98-11? Guess what we're looking at square in the face? If you think there's a magic beanstalk leading us to the goose that laid the golden egg, I suggest you take a good look around... 

Maybe the letdown after 5 years of winning baseball, was the owner went back to meddling.

But, hell, blame DD.

Please show me, when Peter  has ever fired a GM???????

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Its not how it did work, but Dan's job was to make sure the organization made good decisions.  Some of the most impactful ones didn't work.   HIs job was to guide ownership in those moves.  The results were and are poor.

But in that respect, was he given the authority to his job.  If the answer is no (and I think it is), I think it's impossible to give him any grade other than Incomplete.

To try to answer the thread question, I think he already has addressed what needs to be done.  And it's really got to be a 3 year deal, imo, because you can't evaluate the rebuild in 1 or 2 years.  And it's not like he's gong to be making tons of money.  If it's clear he's flopping, just eat the 3rd year.  

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe the letdown after 5 years of winning baseball, was the owner went back to meddling.

But, hell, blame DD.

Please show me, when Peter  has ever fired a GM???????

Classic.... if it's the owner's fault... then why even have a GM? What was Dan doing if Angelos was making all the tough decisions?

Oh yeah... someone has to be the face. Sucks to be an over-paid Sarah Huckabee-Sanders.

26 minutes ago, big_sparxx said:

Lol, if your argument includes is "our beloved GM was in such demand when we hired him" and "we outbid how many other teams to get him?" as knockout punches, the rest doesn't really warrant any response.

Archived