Assume that Duquette stays...

Frobby

13 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Not necessarily. Some owners are intelligent people who, recognizing that they don't know everything and that there are other smart people in the world, might change their minds when knowledgeable employees disagree with them.

We haven't had one of those for a while.

Who was the owner and GM when the Os last won the WS?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

My impression is that Williams was a pretty hands-off owner, and that he used Lucchino (who worked at Williams' law firm) to keep tabs on the Orioles.

I was told that Williams would not allow Peters to replace aging players after the '83 World Series. Peters wanted to begin what today would be called a rebuild after going to the Winter Meetings and finding  no interest in players like Bumbry, Singleton and Palmer because they were too old. Williams didn't want fans to see their heroes discarded. So, we stood pat and went into a downward spiral that culminated in 1988. Peters took the fall after the '87 season and landed in Cleveland.

Lucchino didn't join the Orioles until the spring of 1988. Six months later he was retained by the group led by Eli Jacobs that bought the team from EBW's estate. He had nothing to do with the World Series winning team.

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I was told that Williams would not allow Peters to replace aging players after the '83 World Series. Peters wanted to begin what today would be called a rebuild after going to the Winter Meetings and finding  no interest in players like Bumbry, Singleton and Palmer because they were too old. Williams didn't want fans to see their heroes discarded. So, we stood pat and went into a downward spiral that culminated in 1988. Peters took the fall after the '87 season and landed in Cleveland.

Lucchino didn't join the Orioles until the spring of 1988. Six months later he was retained by the group led by Eli Jacobs that bought the team from EBW's estate. He had nothing to do with the World Series winning team.

I don't recall hearing that first part about Williams and Hank Peters (or maybe I just forget), but I defer to you.

Lucchino got involved with Orioles soon after Williams bought the team in 1979. Williams was then one of the country's most respected trial lawyers and headed the Washington law firm that he had founded, Williams & Connolly. He was a mentor to Lucchino, a very smart young (mid-30s) lawyer at Williams & Connolly with a sports background, who had joined Williams' firm and was working in the still-new field of sports law. According to the bio below, Lucchino came in right away as general counsel to the Orioles (and as a vice president). I recall hearing (and maybe reading) in the very early '80s that Lucchino, while he remained a Williams & Connolly partner, was spending lots of time in Baltimore and only a little in Washington, and was acting as Williams' eyes and ears and trusted advisor, in part to minimize the time Williams needed to spend in Baltimore and the attention he devoted to the team, other than going to games. Lucchino, who was still in his 30s and very early 40s, pretty much flew under the radar under Williams, who attended games, actually came in contact with fans, and served as his own frequent (and sometimes bombastic) spokesman.

Williams made Lucchino president of the team in 1988. Williams died later that year, and the team was sold. Lucchino was part of the group headed by Eli Jacobs that bought the team after the '88 season, and he remained president until Angelos's group acquired the team in 1993. As president, Lucchino pretty much ran the team under Jacobs. But he was an officer of and was heavily involved in the Orioles management throughout Williams' ownership. Exactly what his role was during the 1983 World Series I don't know. 

https://www.mlb.com/redsox/team/front-office/larry-lucchino:  "In 1974, he joined Williams and Connolly, the law firm founded by his mentor, friend, legendary sportsman, and trial attorney Edward Bennett Williams. He became a partner in 1978 and specialized in sports law and litigation. He was general counsel to the Washington Redskins, of which Williams was president and part owner, and was a member of their Board of Directors from 1979 to 1985. When EBW bought the Orioles on August 2, 1979, Lucchino entered baseball and became the club's vice president/general counsel. EBW named him president in May 1988, to rebuild the club's baseball and business operations. Lucchino was President (and co-owner) of the Orioles from 1989 until the club was sold at the end of the 1993 season. In December, 1994, he partnered with John Moores to purchase the San Diego Padres, for whom he served as President/CEO through 2001.

Archived