2018-19 Offseason Tracker

Enjoy Terror

High school picks come with so many unknowns its easy to see why a greater percentage of picks is starting to come from collegiate baseball. Proving grounds that they are, college gives the 18 YO time to mature and even get some way toward a degree. There seems to be no downside to that for may teams and the Orioles would be wise to continue to look in ever greater numbers to collegiate levels to select their draft picks. 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RPIgator26 said:

High school picks come with so many unknowns its easy to see why a greater percentage of picks is starting to come from collegiate baseball. Proving grounds that they are, college gives the 18 YO time to mature and even get some way toward a degree. There seems to be no downside to that for may teams and the Orioles would be wise to continue to look in ever greater numbers to collegiate levels to select their draft picks. 

Collegiate picks definitely offer advantages over HS picks.

Big programs and some smaller programs have much better player development protocols/resources than MLB teams.

It’s also easy to evaluate players after seeing them against much higher and more consistent levels of competition. 

The maturity level is more pro-ready for the average college draftee as well.

The one big negative though, is that most of the players with huge physical ability don’t make it to college, they are drafted and signed out of HS. There are some late bloomers who slip through and some who really want to go to school and demand a bonus above what their abilities dictate, but most elite tool players don’t go to school.

3 hours ago, RPIgator26 said:

It’s always been my understanding that the benefit to high schoolers is indoctrinating them into your system early and teaching them to play baseball your way. College players are more complete athletes, and if there’s something you don’t like about them, it’s almost too late to change it. 

26 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Pat Leyland was cut today. I assume that means that the Orioles have finally released him as a player and will keep him on in Bowie as a coach.

He didn't play at all last season, he was in the same boat as Steel Russell and Cam Kneeland. Player/Coach, so he would need to "retire" and sign on as a coach, like Jack Graham.

I only went back one page to check, so sorry if this is duplicated:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/10350/cael-brockmeyer

Orioles signed C Cael Brockmeyer to a minor league contract.
The 27-year-old backstop spent the 2018 season in the Dodgers' organization where he slashed an impressive .304/.378/.415 with four homers, 33 RBI and three stolen bases in 73 games between Double-A Tulsa and Triple-A Oklahoma City. In an organization with questionable depth behind the plate at and near the big league level, Brockmeyer makes for a nice depth signing.

14 minutes ago, murph said:

I only went back one page to check, so sorry if this is duplicated:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/10350/cael-brockmeyer

Orioles signed C Cael Brockmeyer to a minor league contract.
The 27-year-old backstop spent the 2018 season in the Dodgers' organization where he slashed an impressive .304/.378/.415 with four homers, 33 RBI and three stolen bases in 73 games between Double-A Tulsa and Triple-A Oklahoma City. In an organization with questionable depth behind the plate at and near the big league level, Brockmeyer makes for a nice depth signing.

I'm thinking International League playoffs!  ⚾

Archived