2018-19 Offseason Tracker

Enjoy Terror

From MASN:

Meanwhile, Baseball America’s minor league transactionsinclude the Orioles releasing left-hander Jed Bradley and first baseman Patrick Leyland.

Bradley is listed on the voluntarily retired list, so this must be some sort of a paper move. He walked away from the game in 2017.

Leyland, son of former manager Jim Leyland, served in a coaching capacity at Bowie last summer and will remain in the Orioles organization, though he’s expected to change affiliates.

The White Sox signed third baseman Chris Johnson, son of Ron Johnson and a former Orioles minor leaguer. The Rockies signed former Orioles pitcher Alec Asher.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Max Knutson retired.

I wonder why he retired?  Although he was only at Delmarva last year and was about a year over the league average, he absolutely crushed it.  Can't do much better than a 1.15 ERA (led all relievers on the team), 0.872 WHIP (led all relievers on the team),  not to mention 42K:18BB.  I know he's not really regarded as a prospect, but I'm not sure any pitcher (especially reliever) had a better year at Delmarva.  Maybe he's tired of the grind, but it was on;y his third pro year and he had to be looking at a promotion.  Maybe there's other factors like family matters or an offseason injury we don't know about.  I just hate to see these kinds of guys leave the organization before seeing how far they can go and still have success.

1 hour ago, Oldorioles said:

I wonder why he retired?  Although he was only at Delmarva last year and was about a year over the league average, he absolutely crushed it.  Can't do much better than a 1.15 ERA (led all relievers on the team), 0.872 WHIP (led all relievers on the team),  not to mention 42K:18BB.  I know he's not really regarded as a prospect, but I'm not sure any pitcher (especially reliever) had a better year at Delmarva.  Maybe he's tired of the grind, but it was on;y his third pro year and he had to be looking at a promotion.  Maybe there's other factors like family matters or an offseason injury we don't know about.  I just hate to see these kinds of guys leave the organization before seeing how far they can go and still have success.

There are a number of factors that would lead him to that decision. 

1. He's a low bonus pick and the salary for MiLB players is extremely low, so he's doing what's best for himself and his family if he has one. The longer he stays in baseball, the worse off he probably is financially. 

2. He was a 23 year old reliever in Low A, their aren't many success stories for that type of player.

3. He throws in the upper 80s without much offspeed stuff. He gets by on taking advantage of inexperienced hitters. 

Basically, he fits the profile of a guy who will top out at A+/AA, his odds at making a career out of playing baseball are very slim and he was smart enough to realize that. It sucks, but that's a way it is.

Edit:

Here is a video of him pitching, it really doesn't take an expert to see that it's not a likely MLB arm. 

Archived