Is it safe to say that the Orioles will win more games in 2019?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Just now, foxfield said:

No, not that.  I said I don't know what changed.  The clubhouse certainly seemed to change around the time of Trumbo not liking the Pie from AJ, but that is of course pure speculation on my part.  But...how can a club house come together if Davis continues to play at the level he has played and how can anyone be accountable.  Of course, Davis could rebound and be the story of the young baby birds in 2019....

But the clubhouse is different and will certainly be different in 19.  I'll ask you this CoC.

IF you were asked to Manage the Orioles next year and the new GM asked your opinion....Hey, what do we do with Chris.  You say?

Let's see what he looks like in Spring Training.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

And if he looks the same on March 31, 2019?

Get him off my team of course, but it won't be because of the clubhouse, it will be because I don't want a negative two win player on my roster.  I wouldn't want Jim Thome on my team if he was a negative two win player.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

No owner is just going to cut him loose and pay him to go home.

So you are going to continue to play one of the worst players in baseball even if he continues to decline because you have 4 more years on a contract and well, we aren't good anyway?

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

So you are going to continue to play one of the worst players in baseball even if he continues to decline because you have 4 more years on a contract and well, we aren't good anyway?

I am being realistic.

Just because I explained that no owner will do this.

Means, I am in agreement with that.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Get him off my team of course, but it won't be because of the clubhouse, it will be because I don't want a negative two win player on my roster.  I wouldn't want Jim Thome on my team if he was a negative two win player.

Well, this is kinda what I am getting at....and clubhouse may be the wrong angle.  But to Rick's point above, we cannot possibly just keep playing Davis as a negative two win player (and that would actually be an improvement) and watch him decline further...just because we owe him money.  And expect to have a healthy clubhouse....

And your point is that after nearly two years of terrible Davis, you are willing to give 2 more months and that is fine, but you are not willing to go north without seeing a much better Davis.  That could happen, but I'd rather bet on Harvey being healthy.  ;)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is safe to say that no fan of the team wants Davis back next season.

Not sure you could ever get the OH to come to a single agreement on anything.:)

Do you honestly think the owner would be willing to cut him loose and eat that money?

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Well, this is kinda what I am getting at....and clubhouse may be the wrong angle.  But to Rick's point above, we cannot possibly just keep playing Davis as a negative two win player (and that would actually be an improvement) and watch him decline further...just because we owe him money.  And expect to have a healthy clubhouse....

And your point is that after nearly two years of terrible Davis, you are willing to give 2 more months and that is fine, but you are not willing to go north without seeing a much better Davis.  That could happen, but I'd rather bet on Harvey being healthy.  ;)

I don't think you prove his presence will have a negative impact on the clubhouse.  I'd much rather concentrate on what we can quantify on the field.

As for the two more months?  I am on the opinion that a significant cause of Davis' decline is due to his work ethic and inability to adapt.  Two months should be plenty of time to see if he has improved in those areas.

The O's were HISTORICALLY bad this year.  Really historic.  There are only a few teams in MLB history that have won 47 games or fewer in a season. 

I don't expect us to be that bad again in 2019.  I also am not really interested in debating the merits of a 60 vs a 70 win team however.    Losing teams are losing teams and I'm interested in becoming a winning team again asap.   The rest is kinda just noise to me.

Archived