The Dan Duquette Appreciation Thread

esmd

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, weams said:

It has been made clear by Roch that Dan Duquette was overruled on the Chris Davis deal. I have no idea how many others may have been that way. 

I still wonder who overruled him. Someone had to be in Angelos ear. Buck, Brady, etc. It would be nice if that person would be held accountable for arguably the worst contract in the history of baseball. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I still wonder who overruled him. Someone had to be in Angelos ear. Buck, Brady, etc. It would be nice if that person would be held accountable for arguably the worst contract in the history of baseball. 

I guess Roch knows. Someone should ask him in his comment section. If it is not swallowed up whole in the foolishness there. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I can't remember where I read it - but one of the national writers said that Peter Angelos wanted to resign Davis. It didn't seem like anybody really influenced him in any way - his mind was determined. 

If I can remember the article, I'll post it.

7 hours ago, LA2 said:

Omar Quintanilla...Jimmy Paredes...Brad Brach...Jason Hammel...Hyun Soo Kim!

He signed Dontrelle Willis in 2012 and I recall him making some bad appearances in Spring training.  Chris Parmalee.  Johan Santana.  Dexter Fo.... oh wait.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Go back and look at threads when we were looking for GM's before Dan took the job. No one believed the playoffs were possible.

Most of us didn't believe .500 was possible, although Buck did get our attention at the end of 2010 if only for a little while.

4 hours ago, weams said:

I guess Roch knows. Someone should ask him in his comment section. If it is not swallowed up whole in the foolishness there. 

I don’t hink he’d reply. Roch’s skin isn’t thick enough for social media. It doesn’t take much to put him into defensive/argumentative mode. At least not on Twitter. I personally have a very hard time believing that Peter made the call on his own. Someone was in his ear...

3 hours ago, theocean said:

I can't remember where I read it - but one of the national writers said that Peter Angelos wanted to resign Davis. It didn't seem like anybody really influenced him in any way - his mind was determined. 

Yeah, I don’t buy it. Someone had his ear. Probably either Brady or Buck or both. It was ultimately Peter’s decision, but if someone gave him bad advice on that level they need be held accountable and be fired. Sure Peter signs the checks,  but he’s not a scout / baseball guy.

8 hours ago, 24fps said:

Most of us didn't believe .500 was possible, although Buck did get our attention at the end of 2010 if only for a little while.

Most people thought we were a joke for hiring Dan. Most everyone said no one wanted the job so he took it because he was desperate. We were told that he was horrible, the game had passed him by, etc... It actual was a dark day for some when Dan was hired. He made us relative again. We won in the short term and also for most of the time he was here we were a winning team. He made mistakes, of course, so does every GM. But overall, the work was good given the parameters that he had to work with.

13 hours ago, theocean said:

I just can't wrap my head around Angelos pushing so hard for Davis, when the Golden Child (Nick Markakis) was seemingly snubbed. Doesn't make sense.

Archived