October 4, 2016-Two Years Later

ShaneDawg85

Thanks to Facebook for reminding me, unfortunately, but two years ago today the O's played and lost in the AL Wild Card Game.  What a difference, a cruel and horrible difference, two years make.  Of the seventeen players who got into the game, only four are left in some capacity:

Mark Trumbo, Chris Davis, Mychal Givens, Donnie Hart

Not counting Adam Jones of course, because lets face it he's most likely gone too.  Everyone else has been traded, released, walked in free agency, or retired.  If you'd have said to me just two years later, this is what would be left of a team fighting to continue in the postseason, I simply wouldn't have believed you.  

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Britton pitched the 8th last night...:leaving:

If Buck lost that 2016 clubhouse, that doesn't apply to the majority of what's there today.   Talent wasn't there.

And in Britton's first wild card game action, he gave up a HR.  To someone whose name ends in "hris Davis".

That game was one of the least devastating Oriole playoff games I have watched, even though technically it ended brutally.  2012 was such a great ride it was just a shame to see it end.  Especially at the hands of NY and the ageless Sabathia.  And 2014 (like 1997) was our year, and that miss will never get easier to stomach.  But 2016 never felt like anything special.  There wasn't a single team in the playoffs that year that I thought we were better than, and I think that game with Toronto could have gone 20+ innings and we still wouldn't have scored.  After Trumbo's homer, nobody could get a big hit...or any hit.  Just a completely inept offensive effort. 

14 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

That game was one of the least devastating Oriole playoff games I have watched, even though technically it ended brutally.  2012 was such a great ride it was just a shame to see it end.  Especially at the hands of NY and the ageless Sabathia.  And 2014 (like 1997) was our year, and that miss will never get easier to stomach.  But 2016 never felt like anything special.  There wasn't a single team in the playoffs that year that I thought we were better than, and I think that game with Toronto could have gone 20+ innings and we still wouldn't have scored.  After Trumbo's homer, nobody could get a big hit...or any hit.  Just a completely inept offensive effort. 

I agree 2014 hurt the most. I think ti was because the Royals and they sort of upstaged our attempt to be the Cinderella team that everyone fell in love with that year. 2016 was disappointing but it didn't hurt like 2014/1997. 2012 is best compared to 1996 where it was a thrill to be there and you still hated the ending but it was a great experience. 2016 I think will only hurt if we don't make it for a long time after it. 

It hurt not only because I felt like 2014 really was our year, but I agree it was also because of the Royals.  Somehow they became the team to root for even though our pennant drought was actually longer than theirs.  They also were 100% healthy and we were missing key guys.  And their very timely defense and dink and dunk hits really ticked me off.  Just a miserable end to a phenomenal season.  Same with 1997 and almost the same storyline....an inferior AL Central opponent knocks us off on our path to glory!  1996 was a lot of fun, but not as much as 2012. 

I really don't even think of 2016 as the last hurrah.  For me, it really ended in the winter after the 2014 season when we decided to let Markakis, Cruz, and Miller go.  I understand the decisions, but I really don't care at all about the team's finances.  Let the employees worry about that.  I just want to win. 

4 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

It hurt not only because I felt like 2014 really was our year, but I agree it was also because of the Royals.  Somehow they became the team to root for even though our pennant drought was actually longer than theirs.  They also were 100% healthy and we were missing key guys.  And their very timely defense and dink and dunk hits really ticked me off.  Just a miserable end to a phenomenal season.  Same with 1997 and almost the same storyline....an inferior AL Central opponent knocks us off on our path to glory!  1996 was a lot of fun, but not as much as 2012. 

I really don't even think of 2016 as the last hurrah.  For me, it really ended in the winter after the 2014 season when we decided to let Markakis, Cruz, and Miller go.  I understand the decisions, but I really don't care at all about the team's finances.  Let the employees worry about that.  I just want to win. 

I understood Cruz. Never dreamed he would still be hitting the way he did and in the AL West no less. Miller I understood since he wanted closer money and Britton was our closer. Markakis though hurt a little more even though he with the exception of this year has probably done the least of the three in the years since because he was someone we saw develop.  But yeah you are totally right about 2014 and the Royals. I hated how they became the darlings and always had those hits and catches. I was at Game 1 of the ALCS. Rainy night. I had a blast but it stung especially becuse we were swept. 2012 was the most fun for me though for the reasons you got at.

4 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

This for me. 

The moment I realized they were going to let Markakis go, I was worried. When Cruz didn't stay, I knew deep down it was over. There was a level of chemistry and collective teamplay that seemed to suffer once those guys were off the Orioles. 

I also get why they made certain decisions, but in hindsight, we would rather had kept Markakis and Cruz and then let Davis walk. 

It's very weird to have watched the team go from contenders to an empty shell of mediocre prospects and declining vets in less than 2 seasons. It has been interesting to watch our guys on the Braves, Brewers and Dodgers get to the playoffs, but I get sad when I still picture Markakis, Machado, Schoop and Britton in Orioles uniforms. 

Ugh. Time for a drink. 

MSK 

3 minutes ago, MemorialStadKid said:

This for me. 

The moment I realized they were going to let Markakis go, I was worried. When Cruz didn't stay, I knew deep down it was over. There was a level of chemistry and collective teamplay that seemed to suffer once those guys were off the Orioles. 

I also get why they made certain decisions, but in hindsight, we would rather had kept Markakis and Cruz and then let Davis walk

It's very weird to have watched the team go from contenders to an empty shell of mediocre prospects and declining vets in less than 2 seasons. It has been interesting to watch our guys on the Braves, Brewers and Dodgers get to the playoffs, but I get sad when I still picture Markakis, Machado, Schoop and Britton in Orioles uniforms. 

Ugh. Time for a drink. 

MSK 

Markakis should have been kept.  Cruz had PED issues. I wouldn't have taken the risk on him. But I wouldn't have offered Davis or Trumbo contracts. 

25 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I understood Cruz. Never dreamed he would still be hitting the way he did and in the AL West no less. Miller I understood since he wanted closer money and Britton was our closer. Markakis though hurt a little more even though he with the exception of this year has probably done the least of the three in the years since because he was someone we saw develop.  But yeah you are totally right about 2014 and the Royals. I hated how they became the darlings and always had those hits and catches. I was at Game 1 of the ALCS. Rainy night. I had a blast but it stung especially becuse we were swept. 2012 was the most fun for me though for the reasons you got at.

Miller made sense right up until they signed O'Day.  If you have the money for O'Day you give it to Miller instead.

Miller was clearly the superior pitcher.  I am not sure if O'Day was simply signed as a reward for past services rendered or if the O's signed him because the Nationals wanted him.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Miller made sense right up until they signed O'Day.  If you have the money for O'Day you give it to Miller instead.

Miller was clearly the superior pitcher.  I am not sure if O'Day was simply signed as a reward for past services rendered or if the O's signed him because the Nationals wanted him.

Agreed. Made no sense to not extend Miller but to extend O'Day.

Archived