Buck and Dan's home run strategy did not help the O's

wildcard

o

This subject reminds me somewhat of a freaky stat that began long before the steroid era, but went right through the heart of it.

From 1986-2000 ......... which includes the heart of the steroid era of inflated offenses ...... not one single World Series champion had a single player with 35 or more home runs in the regular season.

So from the 1986 Mets - the 2000 Yankees ...... and all of the other world champions in between ....... not one of them had a player with at least 35 HR's (in a single season.)

Also, if Mariano Rivera had not blown the save in Game Seven against the Diamondbacks in 2001, the streak would have extended a year longer (Tino Martinez led the 2001 Yankees with 34 home runs.)

Steve Balboni hit 36 HR's for the 1985 Kansas City Royals, and Luis Gonzalez hit 57 home runs for the 2001 DiamondBacks.

1985 ROYALS: llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/KCR/1985.shtml

2001 D-BACKS:   llllllllllllllllllllllllll  http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ARI/2001.shtml

o

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The difference between results and on the field of play.

Bundy and Gausman anchoring the front of the rotation.

Then picking up 2 of the top 5 FA starters, and a mess of young arms for #5 slot.

Yes, there was a lot of preseason pre-ST hope and hype that they would have solid pitching this season.

Well I thought Cashner was going to be hot trash so I'm not sure your point works for me.

I was not expecting the pitching to be as good as it was in 2014.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well I thought Cashner was going to be hot trash so I'm not sure your point works for me.

I was not expecting the pitching to be as good as it was in 2014.

So, anything from 2 to 3 WAR, and sitting towards the backend of the rotation, is more than respectable for most teams.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

So, anything from 2 to 3 WAR, and sitting towards the backend of the rotation, is more than respectable for most teams.

You lost me.

I thought Cashner was going to look like Tillman did.  Well not quite that bad, but below replacement level.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Cashner threw a 4.7, so expecting a step down from that would be a 2-3.

Even MLBTraderumors was high on him

I don't care if MLBTraderumors was high on him.

My expectations were that he was going to pitch very poorly.

I wasn't expecting a step down, I was expecting a fall off the roof into a well.

49 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Lets slam Buck and DD, one more time, with one more thread.

If I remember right, the 3 run HR was a part of Oriole Magic, back before Oriole Magic, and the Earl of Weave time here.

That is vastly oversimplifying Earl’s managerial philosophy.  I would argue he valued OBP above all else when it came to offense.

Something Dan and Buck failed to address.

51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think it is time to look at what worked and what didn't during the last 7 years.   

Then talk about the lack of OBP, sure. Cherry picking "home runs didn't work" is silly considering how many teams hit lots of home runs AND had guys get on base.

17 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Then talk about the lack of OBP, sure. Cherry picking "home runs didn't work" is silly considering how many teams hit lots of home runs AND had guys get on base.

OBP is the  other end of this discussion.   For the most part the better the OBP a team has the more runs they score.  And Dan and Buck would talk about improving the OBP,  but their actions seem be mostly oriented toward homers.

The Red Sox play in the home run park but they seem to focus on OBP.   And when we play them they seem to string a bunch of hits together and score a bunch of runs.  

i don't have all the answers about how to build a team  with high OBP with a mid market team but I think its worth pointing out that focusing on homers that way Buck and Dan did, did't seem to help the team score a lot of runs. 

Archived