The Rebuild Strategy

esmd

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

The whole idea is to trade Villar for a much needed quality prospect or 2; NOT keep him.  Then rinse and repeat.  I want another Villar - which is... what I said.  And I think he WILL get traded for something we need - legit propects - which again is what I said.  We have one infielder now - Villar.  I'd like to add another him.  And who's there for him to block at SS or 2nd base?  Nobody for next season.  And unless Mountcastle is really a 3rd basemen, there's nobody to block at 3rd.  We're not going to build a championship team with players like Nunez.  We NEED to acquire better prospects if we're ever going to build a team like Houston or Atlanta, and that's one way to do it.        

You're missing my point. The Orioles can BARELY get their act together to trade active players on their roster. And you expect them to be able to buy low and sell and high for a few seasons to stock the farm system? Can you honestly look Brady Anderson in the eye and tell him that believe he can execute that plan? 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You're missing my point. The Orioles can BARELY get their act together to trade active players on their roster. And you expect them to be able to buy low and sell and high for a few seasons to stock the farm system? Can you honestly look Brady Anderson in the eye and tell him that believe he can execute that plan? 

Even worse the slot money acquired in the Gausman trade has a good chance to go unused now.  Might has well trade unused slot money to the Marlins now. 

9 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Even worse the slot money acquired in the Gausman trade has a good chance to go unused now.  Might has well trade unused slot money to the Marlins now. 

Yep. That would mean we basically gave Gausman away just to dump O'Day's salary which helped put money in ownership's pockets, but did nothing to help the team / jump start the rebuild. I really think that Gausman trade is going to be one that looks worse and worse (for us) over time. There was no urgency to trade Gausman during the season. It was a situation where he only should have moved if the "right' offer came along.  

3 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

How come you keep bringing up the Orioles moving. Now it seems your suggesting it will happen in the near future. Do you know something? I'm just curious. 

It can happen. It will be more probable if the Orioles are sold.  I know nothing. As usual. 

The lease is one of the few ending soon. The MLB has  not approved a transition for the Orioles succession yet. The franchise is more valuable if it can be moved. Which it can. 

1396111387000-F17-Indianapolis-burn-02.j

11 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

But I think that IS the strategy they're using with Villar, so I'm not following you at all.  And we don't even know what Brady's position with the team will be - unless you know something I don't.  It's very possible he'll have less inflence next year, because the new GM will likely have more power than Duq had.  And the fact that they did trade for Villar - likely with an eye to eventually trade him - does give me encouragement.  If he is traded for quality, that's proof they have been following the strategy I explained.    

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

But I think that IS the strategy they're using with Villar, so I'm not following you at all.  And we don't even know what Brady's position with the team will be - unless you know something I don't.  It's very possible he'll have less inflence next year, because the new GM will likely have more power than Duq had.  And the fact that they did trade for Villar - likely with an eye to eventually trade him - does give me encouragement.  If he is traded for quality, that's proof they have been following the strategy I explained.    

They traded for Villar because they felt they needed a replacement for Schoop. I'm not convinced the idea of flipping him for someone else even crossed their minds when they made the trade. It's just speculation on your part. 

I don’t understand why Villar couldn’t be a piece on the Os next competitive team?

He’ll be 27 to start the 2019 season. His 2018 season was his second best yet (2.7 rWAR, 35 SB, .709 OPS).

And our infield depth is weak. What if they signed him though 2022? He’ll be 31 when he starts his final year of that contract. 

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

They traded for Villar because they felt they needed a replacement for Schoop. I'm not convinced the idea of flipping him for someone else even crossed their minds when they made the trade. It's just speculation on your part. 

I'm speculating that because I don't think they're complete idiots.    

6 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I don’t understand why Villar couldn’t be a piece on the Os next competitive team?

He’ll be 27 to start the 2019 season. His 2018 season was his second best yet (2.7 rWAR, 35 SB, .709 OPS).

And our infield depth is weak. What if they signed him though 2022? He’ll be 31 when he starts his final year of that contract. 

It's possible, but he's a player who relies on speed, and I think it's reasonable to expect he'll be losing value when he's 31 and older.  

Archived