O's need to a plan for SS this season

ScGO's

Not sure how to start a poll, but this thread could probably use it to see where y'alls opinions lay.  

To ease the bleeding on next season, the O's need to sign a glove first SS who can put up positive defensive numbers and support the young pitching and defense around him.  Our in house options are inadequate.  Beckham may be released and he's not an infielder in my opinion.  Villar has more value at 2B.  Salcedo apparently has a glove at AA, but with no MLB experience he can't be an option.

Here are some options I've been thinking about.

1) Sign one of Jose Iglesias, Freddy Galvis, or Jordy Mercer.  Whoever can be signed the cheapest would be my pick as they are all essentially the same type of offensive player.  

2) Trade Givens for a shortstop prospect.  Who needs relief pitchers and who is willing to give up a SS prospect who is ready to step in?  From reading mlbtraderumors.com this morning, it looks like Philly might be willing to get up off of JP Crawford or Scott Kingery.  You think Givens could head a package to grab one from Philly?  Who else could want Givens that has a SS to move?

3) Glove first MILB FA?  Not sure who is out there that would be a Rey Ordonez/John McDonald all glove no bat.  But I would take a league minimum .200 avg hitter if his D is superb.

Thoughts?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Not sure how to start a poll, but this thread could probably use it to see where y'alls opinions lay.  

To ease the bleeding on next season, the O's need to sign a glove first SS who can put up positive defensive numbers and support the young pitching and defense around him.  Our in house options are inadequate.  Beckham may be released and he's not an infielder in my opinion.  Villar has more value at 2B.  Salcedo apparently has a glove at AA, but with no MLB experience he can't be an option.

Here are some options I've been thinking about.

1) Sign one of Jose Iglesias, Freddy Galvis, or Jordy Mercer.  Whoever can be signed the cheapest would be my pick as they are all essentially the same type of offensive player.  

2) Trade Givens for a shortstop prospect.  Who needs relief pitchers and who is willing to give up a SS prospect who is ready to step in?  From reading mlbtraderumors.com this morning, it looks like Philly might be willing to get up off of JP Crawford or Scott Kingery.  You think Givens could head a package to grab one from Philly?  Who else could want Givens that has a SS to move?

3) Glove first MILB FA?  Not sure who is out there that would be a Rey Ordonez/John McDonald all glove no bat.  But I would take a league minimum .200 avg hitter if his D is superb.

Thoughts?

I'd go with someone in house for now. Whoever is still around. It won't matter this year.  Heck even Engelb Vielma. I like him a lot. 

17 minutes ago, weams said:

I'd go with someone in house for now. Whoever is still around. It won't matter this year.  Heck even Engelb Vielma. I like him a lot. 

If he can be a plus defender, I"m fine with that.  But if we don't have gloves up the middle, C, SS/2B, CF, then our player development at the big league level will be hindered.  

14 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If he can be a plus defender, I"m fine with that.  But if we don't have gloves up the middle, C, SS/2B, CF, then our player development at the big league level will be hindered.  

I agree. I think the Orioles will do fine there. And if not, bring back J.J. Hardy as a player manager for 750,000 a year. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I agree. I think the Orioles will do fine there. And if not, bring back J.J. Hardy as a player manager for 750,000 a year. 

I would love that move.  I wonder what his management style would be like?  If he embraced analytics, I'm on board with this.  

He'd be 36, but he was still putting up positive Defensive metrics in 2017 and with a year of rest, he'd probably be pretty sharp.  He'd need to be in a time share though, or the back up with a ++glove so he can spend most of his time managing and staying fresh for the 50-60 games he does play.

My guess is that the O's will start Villar at SS.    Wilkerson and Valera will compete for 2B.    One of them will be the UIF.   The O's will add  infield help at AAA Including SS depth.    

The O's don't  seem likely to spend on FAs that cost more than 1M to 1.5M.      The O's may add Bobby Witt Jr to the organization as the SS of the future.   That may be the long term plan for when the O's are ready to competitive again.

Just now, wildcard said:

My guess is that the O's will start Villar at SS.    Wilkerson and Valera will compete for 2B.    One of them will be the UIF.   The O's will add  infield help at AAA Including SS depth.    

The O's don't  seem likely to spend on FAs that cost more than 1M to 1.5M.      The O's may add Bobby Witt Jr to the organization as the SS of the future.   That may be the long term plan for when the O's are ready to competitive again.

My guess is that Villar is traded!

Just now, weams said:

My guess is that Villar is traded!

Well could happen.   I think he stays to stabilize the infield for 2019.   Next off season  may be time to trade him.   However if someone makes a great offer he could go at any time which is true for almost anyone in the O's organizaion.

I'd nontender Beckham and trade Villar. That should save them roughly 8 million which I'd then use to sign Jose Iglesias.  Although I like the idea of seeing if you can get crawford from Philly. 

Let Wilkerson take a shot at 2nd and Nunez or mountcastle at third. 

Archived