The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

9 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

If the O's can get Gaston for $1.5, that leaves about $4.8 left - why not give the rest to the Mesa brothers?

Well, I would, but the Oriole way is to offer just enough to not sign someone.  Except for Chris Davis.  If the Mesa brothers are offered $4 mill by Miami, it might take $5 mill for the O's to sign them.  Miami definitely has an advantage w/ the large spanish speaking & Cuban population and warm weather (for someone from a warm climate). 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Well, I would, but the Oriole way is to offer just enough to not sign someone.  Except for Chris Davis.  If the Mesa brothers are offered $4 mill by Miami, it might take $5 mill for the O's to sign them.  Miami definitely has an advantage w/ the large spanish speaking & Cuban population and warm weather (for someone from a warm climate). 

If it takes $5M to sign both Mesas, you spend $5M to sign both Mesas.  Case closed.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Marlins have 4.3M, so what’s the breakdown there?

3M VVM

1M Gaston

300K VMJ

So for them to pull that off you have to assume VVM is willing to take a 50% pay cut, that Gaston is willing to take a 50% pay cut or no one else liking him enough to go 2M+, and that no one is willing to overpay for VMJ.

I think it’s useful to remember how seldom “hometown discounts” happen. Agents want big contracts, period, and most often that wins out over where a player would prefer to play, assuming that the Cuban prospects do want to play in Miami.

I guess we'll see.  

46 minutes ago, Santandah said:

Now. Could the O's be opportunistic and trade their pool money to the Marlins so they can max out the contracts? Sure. But I'm guessing that'd be difficult with no real GM. 

Why? It seems like Miami isn't going to have to max out to get them. I guess if they have some 25 year old 1B just laying around.

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I think it’s useful to remember how seldom “hometown discounts” happen. Agents want big contracts, period, and most often that wins out over where a player would prefer to play, assuming that the Cuban prospects do want to play in Miami.

For starters I think it would be more accurate to say that players want big contracts, period -- I'll bet that is true for 97+% of the players in these situations.

The narrative that agents choose where players play based on contract value is tired and false in the overwhelming majority of cases. Players want the most money, and they follow the money.

20 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

For starters I think it would be more accurate to say that players want big contracts, period -- I'll bet that is true for 97+% of the players in these situations.

The narrative that agents choose where players play based on contract value is tired and false in the overwhelming majority of cases. Players want the most money, and they follow the money.

I didn’t mean to imply that players don’t follow the money as well, we are on the same page, I was talking about agents because people on Twitter were saying that because the Mesa brothers’ agency was located in Miami that they’d want him to stay there.

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The Orioles have been guilty of many things. They arent going to play it cheap here. They will offer whatever they have available to offer. This isn’t much money.  

You would think so.  Honestly, if we make offers I expect we can get em and if not, then, congrats to the Mesa family for proving that it really doesn't always have to be about the money.

But it IS about the money, so we should be ok....

The following was written sometime this afternoon I think after the workout;

https://www.fishstripes.com/2018/10/5/17833438/cuban-international-free-agents-showcase-marlins-park-victor-victor-mesa-sandy-gaston

The Orioles are mentioned here so they know we have the most money. Is somebody under the table going to give these players the money we could have given them to sign for less with the Marlins? Have things gotten this shady?

This workout should have been at a college stadium somewhere down south.  Did you see in the margin of this article a story about Buck possibly ending up in Miami?

33 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's still possible to trade for slot money, so the Marlins could add to their pile, or, the O's could trade theirs to the Yankees and the Mesa clan could end up in the Bronx.

I thought the Marlins and Yankees were maxed out on what they could have.

16 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

It's still possible to trade for slot money, so the Marlins could add to their pile, or, the O's could trade theirs to the Yankees and the Mesa clan could end up in the Bronx.

Yankees can’t add more, there is a limit and they’ve already acquired a bunch.

Archived