The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

Perhaps one day we’ll find out whether there’s more behind the story of the Orioles sending $750,000 worth to the Phillies in August for minor league infielder Jack Zoellner, a 23-year-old corner infielder who’s spent the last two seasons in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League and batted .240/.358/.401 with seven home runs in 58 games.

The Orioles saw plenty of him while scouting the Phillies system and liked his ability to get on base. I’ve heard that the Phillies were far less enthusiastic about Zoellner and might have released him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/orioles-remaining-quiet-in-their-pursuit-of-three-cuban-prospects.html

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Perhaps one day we’ll find out whether there’s more behind the story of the Orioles sending $750,000 worth to the Phillies in August for minor league infielder Jack Zoellner, a 23-year-old corner infielder who’s spent the last two seasons in the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League and batted .240/.358/.401 with seven home runs in 58 games.

The Orioles saw plenty of him while scouting the Phillies system and liked his ability to get on base. I’ve heard that the Phillies were far less enthusiastic about Zoellner and might have released him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/10/orioles-remaining-quiet-in-their-pursuit-of-three-cuban-prospects.html

I've already said that I won't be surprised if he doesn't make a team out of spring training.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:55 PM, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps, but I've read of crime spikes in areas that normally were considered "safe". I don't have the statistics though, but I'm weary of anyplace that tells their police to stand down during a riot and give them space. Saying that, I do feel safe in Fells Point and Fed Hill and really anyplace where there are lot of people since it's harder for those crimes to happen with people around. Little Italy is fairy safe still though crime has gone up in that neighborhood as well especially on the North East side where its starts get shady.

I hear you though. Saying that, I prefer to Uber into the city than drive in order to limit my chances of issues or harassment. 

I don’t think it’s fair to use the riot instance as indicative of anything more than civil unrest that reached a head. It’s an exception, not the rule. People (mostly people from Harford County) are making the City out to be a constant battleground all over. But truth is Baltimore isn’t much different than any other large city. Pockets of high crime areas usually related to drugs. This creates a higher crime rate that gives the illusion of a higher crime rate in every neighborhood. 

Baltimore being a football town is hilarious to me. Winning breeds attendance. If the Ravens start sucking...watch attendance dwindle especially with the live attendance across major sports being a major problem due to cost increases and inconveniences of driving/parking.

Football attendance has always been a joke to me. They play 8 home games a year vs. 81. 

On 10/11/2018 at 4:38 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Ravens games were always tougher to work than Orioles games, from a police standpoint.

A lot of people were actually super drunk even before kick off.

Also football fans are more rambunctious/drunk/obnoxious than baseball fans. It’s a different atmosphere at a baseball game than a football game. 

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Baltimore being a football town is hilarious to me. Winning breeds attendance. If the Ravens start sucking...watch attendance dwindle especially with the live attendance across major sports being a major problem due to cost increases and inconveniences of driving/parking.

Football attendance has always been a joke to me. They play 8 home games a year vs. 81. 

Look at the Oriole attendance in their heyday.  The O's drew 3,142,175 fans TOTAL over the 69-71 stretch when they were in the WS all three years.  Then attendance started going up as the Colts got really bad then left. 

In 1990 a 76 win team in Memorial stadium drew over 2.4M.  Do you think that happens with an NFL team in town?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Look at the Oriole attendance in their heyday.  The O's drew 3,142,175 fans TOTAL over the 69-71 stretch when they were in the WS all three years.  Then attendance started going up as the Colts got really bad then left. 

In 1990 a 76 win team in Memorial stadium drew over 2.4M.  Do you think that happens with an NFL team in town?

I’m not sure. I just think it’s funny when people point to football attendance likes it means a damn. 8 home games.

Hell, I’m convinced if the O’s played 20 home games they’d sell out every single one. 

This is a small city in an environment where driving, parking and concessions continue to rise and the convenience of staying home is better. Couple it with competition to the south re: baseball...and there you go.

Football attendance is fool’s gold of a metric. 

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

I’m not sure. I just think it’s funny when people point to football attendance likes it means a damn. 8 home games.

Hell, I’m convinced if the O’s played 20 home games they’d sell out every single one. 

This is a small city in an environment where driving, parking and concessions continue to rise and the convenience of staying home is better. Couple it with competition to the south re: baseball...and there you go.

Football attendance is fool’s gold of a metric. 

Which is why I didn't use it.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don’t think it’s fair to use the riot instance as indicative of anything more than civil unrest that reached a head. It’s an exception, not the rule. People (mostly people from Harford County) are making the City out to be a constant battleground all over. But truth is Baltimore isn’t much different than any other large city. Pockets of high crime areas usually related to drugs. This creates a higher crime rate that gives the illusion of a higher crime rate in every neighborhood. 

You, along with a few others are missing the point. Regardless of how you feel about the riots, and we won't get into politics here, what can't be denied is how the reputation of the city was hurt by them. Whether you or others feels less safe, the reputation of the city is that it's an unsafe place. 

How many other major sports teams had games cancelled, moved, or played with no fans due to security concerns near there stadium due to rioting or as you called it, civil unrest? Now, more and more people are limiting their Baltimore City time because of being harassed by homeless, squeegee kids, or mobs of teenagers who have randomly attacked strangers.

By the very nature of your statement, I agree with you that violence against normal law abiding citizens is the exception rather than the rule. The problem is the perception and reputation of the city is hurting. 

I wish it wasn't so because as I've said multiple times, I consider Baltimore my city. I love my city and want it to be a safe, prosperous place for not only visitors, but for all Baltimoreans and surrounding Baltimore area suburbanites to visit often. But it's going to take a change in city leadership to really make a difference.

Baltimore city deserves the reputation it has. There have even been instances of corrupt cops robbing law-abiding citizens and drug dealers alike. Most of the nasty stuff is in West Baltimore, but it's bad enough to give the whole city a bad reputation. It doesn't help that much of the city is populated with dilapidated, boarded up buildings and row houses with spray paint all over them. More and more people don't trust the police and that reaches far outside Baltimore and this state. I'm not a criminal and have never had more than a speeding ticket and I don't trust the cops either. They are out of control especially in places like Baltimore and Chicago. I read this long, but interesting article from last year about the state of Baltimore city and not much has changed.

If it was just the riots as an isolated incident, I don't think it would be a big problem. For Baltimore city, it just piles on top of everything else. A few places aside, BC is a dump that brings a higher chance of being involved in a crime than almost anywhere else in the country. That's just the facts. Baltimore city has had this reputation for as long as I can remember. It's not a new thing. Being harassed by homeless people for money is unsettling especially when they walk right up to your car as soon as you park. I've seen people smoking crack in broad daylight in Fells Point just walking around like it's nothing. He was offering some to others as well and there was a police SUV about 20 yards away as well. I stopped going down there years ago. Almost everyone I knew from down there had been a victim of a violent crime or robbery at least once and these were just normal people. It's been terrible down there for a long time. The city deserves the bad rep it gets, all of it IMO.

Archived