The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

This is about as positive as I'll be today.  The longer this thing drags on, the more I think the O's could pull something off.  It sure looks like the Mesas are giving the Marlins every opportunity to get more money but maybe the Orioles are trying to figure out how to deal an ace of their own.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is about as positive as I'll be today.  The longer this thing drags on, the more I think the O's could pull something off.  It sure looks like the Mesas are giving the Marlins every opportunity to get more money but maybe the Orioles are trying to figure out how to deal an ace of their own.

Someone has been taking happy pills.  ?

12 hours ago, Sessh said:

Baltimore city deserves the reputation it has. There have even been instances of corrupt cops robbing law-abiding citizens and drug dealers alike. Most of the nasty stuff is in West Baltimore, but it's bad enough to give the whole city a bad reputation. It doesn't help that much of the city is populated with dilapidated, boarded up buildings and row houses with spray paint all over them. More and more people don't trust the police and that reaches far outside Baltimore and this state. I'm not a criminal and have never had more than a speeding ticket and I don't trust the cops either. They are out of control especially in places like Baltimore and Chicago. I read this long, but interesting article from last year about the state of Baltimore city and not much has changed.

If it was just the riots as an isolated incident, I don't think it would be a big problem. For Baltimore city, it just piles on top of everything else. A few places aside, BC is a dump that brings a higher chance of being involved in a crime than almost anywhere else in the country. That's just the facts. Baltimore city has had this reputation for as long as I can remember. It's not a new thing. Being harassed by homeless people for money is unsettling especially when they walk right up to your car as soon as you park. I've seen people smoking crack in broad daylight in Fells Point just walking around like it's nothing. He was offering some to others as well and there was a police SUV about 20 yards away as well. I stopped going down there years ago. Almost everyone I knew from down there had been a victim of a violent crime or robbery at least once and these were just normal people. It's been terrible down there for a long time. The city deserves the bad rep it gets, all of it IMO.

I lived in the city from birth until 18 (1979 through 1997) and again from 22-27. I never felt more at risk in Baltimore although I did see the risk around me. 

Not one incident happened to me  except when a white cop pulled a gun on my cousin and I because they were looking for 2 men who just robbed a bar. The cop happened to be white and so was I. I followed the orders very carefully because there was a gun drawn on me. I was 15 and my cousin was 14. 

Cops are a fun topic for a lot of folks. Baltimore can't seem to keep cops and it is easy to see why. There are much safer places that need cops. There are places that need cops where they are more likely to be called Sir than Pig.

One of my best friends is a BCPD cop and he happens to be Puerto Rican. He says "Yeah it is awesome being a cop. You work long dangerous hours in dangerous neighborhoods that have a predetermined idea of who you are based on your uniform.

You take drug users off the street and to central booking. A few days later they are back on the street and people blame cops. On top of that I am Puerto Rican which makes me another white man in the city. If a guy comes at me and I defend myself I will be labeled racist even though I am not racist."

The problem with the city is simple. Some eople stopped holding life and basic decency in high regard. I think most people are a product of their environment. Neighborhoods used to police themselves. Now everyone expects other people to police their fellow neighbor. Cops usually do not directly stop crime. They respond to it. 

Baltimore can be tough, but most big cities are dangerous. Look at New York, Chicago, LA, Tulsa and Boston. If you really want see danger look where Baltimore ranks in violent crime in the world. If all these terrible places just had better cops... (sarcasm)

• weams locked this topic

Archived