Who Will Get Cut From The 40-Man By Opening Day?

Matt Bennett

6 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck expected his daily catcher to play defense behind the bag.

He bounced Clevenger who could hit, bounce to the minors to work on his game. Which to his credit he did.

Sisco with his weak defense was clearly not going to be a favorite of Buck.

Your note #3 would mean the team tenders Caleb, yet, thats something some posters clearly dont want.

#3 just says Joseph comes back. It doesn't have to be on a tendered contract. I wouldn't mind him back on a minor league deal with an invite. That way he makes less and won't take up a 40-man spot until the end of Spring Training when you can filter out what you want to do with other guys (including Rule-5 selections). You can also then utilize the 60-day DL to help with the roster crunch.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

#3 just says Joseph comes back. It doesn't have to be on a tendered contract. I wouldn't mind him back on a minor league deal with an invite. That way he makes less and won't take up a 40-man spot until the end of Spring Training when you can filter out what you want to do with other guys (including Rule-5 selections). You can also then utilize the 60-day DL to help with the roster crunch.

Caleb will be a good back up catcher for a winning team if the O's non tender him.   And he will get 1.7-2m and be worth it.

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Caleb will be a good back up catcher for a winning team if he O's non tender him.   And he will get 1.7-2m and be worth it.

He would be an improvement for the Red Sox and I'm sure many other teams.  I don't see him having to settle for a minor league deal.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He would be an improvement for the Red Sox and I'm sure many other teams.  I don't see him having to settle for a minor league deal.

Looks like we will have to agree to disagree here. He could probably get a minor league deal with a better team and may opt for that instead, but I don't see him getting a guaranteed contract. You all value his defense more than I do apparently. He'll be a catcher in his age 33 season with a career 70 OPS+. If he becomes a free agent, he'll join a class that includes Lucroy, Grandal, Maldonado, McCann, Ramos, Suzuki, Ellis, Wieters, Gimenez, etc.

Honestly, if non-tendering Joseph leads the O's to a Rene Rivera, A.J. Ellis or someone else instead, I'm not heartbroken. To me, Joseph is easily replaceable. I'd rather have the 40-man spot through spring training than have Joseph.

18 hours ago, jamalshw said:

Not sure a starting catching for a few seasons, without injury would come back on a Minor league deal. IMO

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure a starting catching for a few seasons, without injury would come back on a Minor league deal. IMO

If he doesn't, I don't see it as much of a loss. And it'll depend on if there's a Major League deal out there for him. He was never a true starting catcher, maybe in 2015, but since then he had a max of 280 plate appearances in a season since. I don't qualify that as a starting catcher. Lets not forget, the O's sent him to Norfolk for 24 games this year. I could phrase a similar statement as such:

Not sure a soon to be 33-year old catcher that has only one MLB season with less than 20 MiLB games would be able to land a Major League deal. IMO.

I just don't see how Joseph has any more value than the slew of catchers to hit the market this year. He has some value, but would rather lose him than waste a 40-man roster spot on him throughout the winter and Spring Training. Perhaps you are alluding to a pride thing about coming back on a minor league deal after having stints in years as a starter. That may be true, but I really think it comes down to a minor league deal here or somewhere else. Maybe he goes elsewhere for that deal, but--again--I don't really see how that's much of a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to go out on a limb...but there is at least a chance, that with new leadership and with the real possibility that even a few months off and hard work that Chris Davis does not improve.

And he is released before opening day.

There, I said it.

Beckham and Joseph should be released, Celeb can be signed to a minor league contract. We are going to need the space on the forty man for the rule 5 draft and sign fridge free agents. Agree with many of your picks from the first post,  we can always resign them to minor league contracts.

Without Duquette, I think there is a good chance we don't go for a rule 5 player--after all we have a ton of young talent to evaluate right now.  As far as free agents are concerned, why go for a big name for the next two years?  And the type DD signed won't be much above the guys we have.  Time to find out what we've got.

3 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Without Duquette, I think there is a good chance we don't go for a rule 5 player--after all we have a ton of young talent to evaluate right now.  As far as free agents are concerned, why go for a big name for the next two years?  And the type DD signed won't be much above the guys we have.  Time to find out what we've got.

No rule 5 came here before DD?

GMs are always looking for cheaper talent that they can fill out their roster with and hoping to find a diamond missed.

Of course, if you are the Yankees, Red Sox or Dodgers, this doesnt apply to you.

5 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

I think the odds are that the O's take a Rule 5 player because they select first which means they get the better player available.

I would like to see the O's sign one FA.  SSJose Iglesias.  I think it is important to improve the infield defense to help develop pitchers.   He is 28 and I could see the O's signing him for 2 or 3 years at 5 -6m per year.

Archived