So: at the end of the day, who was to blame for Chris Tillman?

interloper

By which I mean, who ignored all the data that said the guy, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was actually healthy, had clearly lost the physical ability to pitch? Who thought, sure, give me 7 more starts of that guy for a few million dollars? 

You have to think it was Buck, especially in light of Dan's recent comments.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, interloper said:

By which I mean, who ignored all the data that said the guy, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was actually healthy, had clearly lost the physical ability to pitch? Who thought, sure, give me 7 more starts of that guy for a few million dollars? 

It has always looked like a Buck move.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Far as i know Buck didn't sign players to contracts.   So Buck may have recommended the signing of Tillman but Dan had to execute the contract.

Just now, wildcard said:

Far as i know Buck didn't sign players to contracts.   So Buck may have recommended the signing of Tillman but Dan had to execute the contract.

Sure seems like Dan kept holding out to see if PLEASE GOD ANYONE ELSE fell into his lap in the SP dept. 

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Yet, Texas signed him, even after it was clear that his attempts with the Orioles were pretty much a solid disaster.

And what did it cost Texas to sign him to a minor league deal?

I think most of us would have been fine with the O's bringing him back on a minor league deal.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Brady may have negotiated Trumbo's contract but did he really have the power to sign him without Dan approval?

I've never heard of Dan being involved with the Trumbo signing.

And would it have made a difference if Buck and/or Brady worked out the Tillman deal and than Ownership told Dan to sign him?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I've never heard of Dan being involved with the Trumbo signing.

And would it have made a difference if Buck and/or Brady worked out the Tillman deal and than Ownership told Dan to sign him?

I guess its one thing if ownership told Dan to sign Tillman and a whole different thing if  Buck or Brady told Dan to sign Tillman.   The first is an order from ownership.  The second is something that Dan might have been able to agree with or refuse to do.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I guess its one thing if ownership told Dan to sign Tillman and a whole different thing if  Buck or Brady told Dan to sign Tillman.   The first is an order from ownership.  The second is something that Dan might have been able to agree with or refuse to do.

I hope it wasn't that bad and they could at most suggest it.

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope it wasn't that bad and they could at most suggest it.

So Buck and Brady had power to tell DD, omg, this is so bloody stupid.

Sorry, not mad at you, at all.

Hell, I am okay with suggesting it.

But, to just throw it out there that they ordered it, it blows my mind.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And what did it cost Texas to sign him to a minor league deal?

I think most of us would have been fine with the O's bringing him back on a minor league deal.

I would have rather seeing him to an incentive based MIL deal.

But, to me, it wasn't a huge deal either way.

He look like a low end filler, for the 5th SP, and typically, there is not enough of those to go around in the majors.

Archived