Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read this

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-mike-elias-rise-20181116-story,amp.html

Mike Elias' path to the Orioles' general manager job began in earnest in John Stuper's Yale University dugout, at a time when an Ivy League dugout was just starting to be viewed as the cradle for baseball minds that they’ve ultimately become.

He had a feel for the game. He had the drive, and he had the brains. But surely, something must have caught Stuper at least a little by surprise in the dozen years of growth that led his one-time left-hander into the helm of the Orioles rebuild.

"Would you think I was a [crummy] interview if I said nothing?" Stuper said. "I'm not surprised by this at all. He has kept up with the times. Honestly, when he became a scout, his first year — I'm not going to tell you I'm Kreskin or something here, but I thought he would be a general manager. I just believed it, and it's come true."

Just now, weams said:

Just because he wore the Yale blue doesn’t mean Elias was immune to the epiphany that most college athletes eventually face: that his future might not be on a baseball field. But the timing was right for him to take a different path, so when he required shoulder surgery after his sophomore year in 2003, Elias took a year off from school to maximize his baseball eligibility. He spent it interning with the Philadelphia Phillies and then working with pitching guru Dr. Tom House in California.

Dan Kantrovitz, the assistant scouting director in St. Louis at the time, was making his first hire in that role when he came across Elias' application. He remembers over 500 applications, "a lot of people with more experience than Mike.”

"But the more I learned about him, from speaking with people like Coach Stuper and Tom House, and then meeting him in person, the more I became convinced that he was a star," Kantrovitz, now the assistant general manager for the Oakland Athletics

But he never let his ambition get in the way of his development, even if a role like this was always in his mind. Stuper believes it was the 2015 offseason, when the league experienced significant turnover at the general manager level, that he called Elias to see whether he was ready to make the next step.

Stuper said: "I called him and said, "Are you looking at any of those jobs, is anybody talking to you? He very matter-of-factly said, 'I'm not ready yet. I need to work some more still.' And I thought to myself, 'Wow.' What self-awareness, what humility, to realize, probably correctly, that he wasn't ready to head a major league team.

"Now, I think it's pretty clear he is ready. He's a huge part of the success in Houston

44 minutes ago, weams said:

Good article.   With such a strong background in amateur scouting, you have to think that Gary Rajsich’s job is in jeopardy, or that he’s going to be in a situation where Elias will be personally involved on draft day in a way that Duquette was not (Duquette also had a scouting background but was many years removed from it).

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good article.   With such a strong background in amateur scouting, you have to think that Gary Rajsich’s job is in jeopardy, or that he’s going to be in a situation where Elias will be personally involved on draft day in a way that Duquette was not (Duquette also had a scouting background but was many years removed from it).

I think it may be more likely Graham's job is in jeopardy, depending on his openness to implement overreaching changes in player development methodology. I don't think the draft changes will be a intensive as the player development changes. They may both be out eventually, I don't know, it may come down to who is willing to adapt and who isn't.   

7 hours ago, fansince71 said:

Don’t under estimate how horrific Bruce Allen is, it’s just that Danny boy is even worse. We probably lost Cousins because D.A. Allen didn’t even know his first name. 

Snyder only hires yes men.  Bruce Allen is a yes man, and also on board because of his political connections in Virginia- once the Fed Ex Field lease is up, Snyder will have a new stadium in Virginia.  

What's appalling to me is that, if you break down Alex Smith's contract to what he's guaranteed, it's a three year, $71 million deal.  Cousins signed with the Vikings for three years, $84 million.  And we gave up Kendall Fuller and a third round draft pick.  That's the kind of move that sets franchises back, just like the RGIII deal did for us years ago.  

Archived