Maryland vs Marshall

murph

Maryland looks really good. Not sure why Bruno Fernando wasn't viewed as a first round pick. That seemed crazy to me. Guy looks pro ready, could see him being a top 5 pick. Cowan has improved. Most of the freshmen look promising. Again though it's an issue of how much does Turgeon's meh coaching hold us back.

2 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Maryland looks really good. Not sure why Bruno Fernando wasn't viewed as a first round pick. That seemed crazy to me. Guy looks pro ready, could see him being a top 5 pick. Cowan has improved. Most of the freshmen look promising. Again though it's an issue of how much does Turgeon's meh coaching hold us back.

I was shocked he did not turn pro as well.  He definitely looked like a beast tonight. 

I’m hoping that Cowan is OK. I know he was out for most of the last part of the game because of the lead, but it also looked like he might have turned his ankle a little, right when he asked to come out of the game.  And he was out earlier and more than any of the other regulars. But yea he does seem to have taken a step forward. 

My biggest concern, and probably part of the coaching concerns we all have with Turg,  is are they ever going to be able to effectively handle a zone defense. Honestly, I’m not sure why any team would ever play man against them until they prove they can beat it. I understand that Marshall plays that way all the time and that’s why they were doing that tonight, but it helped Maryland free up on offense for sure. 

23 hours ago, murph said:

I was shocked he did not turn pro as well.  He definitely looked like a beast tonight. 

I’m hoping that Cowan is OK. I know he was out for most of the last part of the game because of the lead, but it also looked like he might have turned his ankle a little, right when he asked to come out of the game.  And he was out earlier and more than any of the other regulars. But yea he does seem to have taken a step forward. 

My biggest concern, and probably part of the coaching concerns we all have with Turg,  is are they ever going to be able to effectively handle a zone defense. Honestly, I’m not sure why any team would ever play man against them until they prove they can beat it. I understand that Marshall plays that way all the time and that’s why they were doing that tonight, but it helped Maryland free up on offense for sure. 

I always thought that the first, best way to beat a zone is to chuck up 3s when they sit back.  If they can't hit uncontested (or minimally contested) 3s, then it's going to be really hard to beat a zone.  You have to force the front players of a typical 2-3 zone (or the wing defenders in a 1-3-1)  to play up to defend the 3, so you can open up the passing lanes to your big men.  But with the terps at 31% shooting... :noidea:

19 hours ago, Hallas said:

I always thought that the first, best way to beat a zone is to chuck up 3s when they sit back.  If they can't hit uncontested (or minimally contested) 3s, then it's going to be really hard to beat a zone.  You have to force the front players of a typical 2-3 zone (or the wing defenders in a 1-3-1)  to play up to defend the 3, so you can open up the passing lanes to your big men.  But with the terps at 31% shooting... :noidea:

Yea, I think you nailed it, unless they can shoot over-top the zone, MD will struggle.  At least Ayala shot the ball really well from behind the arc Friday.  Hope he can keep that up. 

Archived